refugium in nano worth it?

tracereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone, i’m wondering if anybody has ran a refugium in a nano AIO such as a nuvo 25 lagoon or 40. what’s ur experience? is it worth it? was the chamber big enough to allow enough growth to actually remove nutrients? drop some knowledge

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it’s not a nuvo I’ve had a biocube 29 for many years, and never felt that the back chamber was big enough for a true fuge for nutrient control. Better off with some sort of chemical media back there and just keep up on water changes as necessary for nutrient control.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my Nuvo 20 and the chaeto is growing. I have it in the second chamber with the IM ChaetoMax light. The first time I set it up the chaeto die. The second time was the charm. I still have high nitrate but good phosphate. I think it's helpful.

20200517_193214_HDR.jpg 20200517_193232_HDR.jpg

js_marra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one in my nano on and off. At first, I loved it, then it sucked up all the nutrients, began to die off, then just became a detritus trap. Then I ditched it and got some outbreaks of other types of algae in my display. Went back to a fuge and it really helped, but then again began to die off and become a detritus trap.

Overall, I think they can be worth it, but need to be closely watched when nutrient levels start bottoming out.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 fuges connected to my 29gal so I am not the one to answer this without bias.

It's not needed. The first question to answer is what is it that you are seeking to achieve with the fuge. Are your nutrients too high and that is why you want to lower them?

So let's start with what are your NO3 and PO4 and what test kits are you using?

Tv79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32 biocube. I rather run a skimmer then a refugium. I just run the in tank media basket and skimmer.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back