Refugium in return chamber?

GnarcoticFiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I recently bought a fiji cube aio 22.4 gal and was wondering if I could run a refugium in my return pump chamber? I’d like to run filter media in the first chamber. I would also like to run bio media, a skimmer and a heater in the middle chamber so that doesn’t leave me with much room left. I have a mandarin dragonet so I need a refuge to house the copepods. Is a skimmer necessary since it’s a nano tank? Please let me know your thoughts or ideas. Thanks

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you want to put in the fuge? Chaeto would clog your pump. Fwiw I really like having skimmers on my tanks.

It is gonna be very hard to sustain a dragonette in that small tank. I would recommend breeding copapods in a separate container and using that to constantly replenish your pods. Oh and a Paul b baby brine shrimp feeder would be helpful as well. Both pods and brine shrimp are very easy to breed..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GnarcoticFiend

GnarcoticFiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you want to put in the fuge? Chaeto would clog your pump. Fwiw I really like having skimmers on my tanks.

It is gonna be very hard to sustain a dragonette in that small tank. I would recommend breeding copapods in a separate container and using that to constantly replenish your pods. Oh and a Paul b baby brine shrimp feeder would be helpful as well. Both pods and brine shrimp are very easy to breed..
Yeah I was planning on keeping chaeto in the fuge, i’m already currently culturing pods but i’d rather not have to do that.

Upvote 0

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd need a way to keep it away from the pump. But chaeto likes to let little pieces go which would get to the pump. Have you thought about doing a diy chaeto reactor?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GnarcoticFiend

GnarcoticFiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd need a way to keep it away from the pump. But chaeto likes to let little pieces go which would get to the pump. Have you thought about doing a diy chaeto reactor?
No i haven’t actually thought of doing that but it sounds like a good idea. I’ve never seen anybody do that before

Upvote 0

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like this. It's just a cheap reactor like a phosban 150 with red led strip lights taped around it.
Screenshot_20201204-223518~2.png

Upvote 0

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think growing chaeto in your return pump chamber or a hob fuge or a reactor is a good idea and can help to supplement your mandarin’s diet, but I also think you need to set your expectations correctly. I don’t believe that with a nano tank you will be able to sustain enough pod growth to be the sole source of food for your mandarin. Unless you can set up a 20 or 30G tank as a fuge I just don’t think that a cubic foot of chaeto will be able to sustain a large enough pod colony.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GnarcoticFiend

GnarcoticFiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't captive raised mandarine be a better option? They might be "trained" to eat frozen foods??
It definitely would be but the problem is finding one that eats frozen. If I can find one then I may go for it but for now I think I’ll stay away. Even with a chaeto reactor stuffed with pods it’ll probably go through them within a month or two and not to mention the cost of everything needed to accommodate it’s needs. I’ll definitely be getting a mandarin when I get a bigger tank in the future haha

Upvote 0
Back