refugium light and chaeto

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cheap Amazon refugium light died a month ago and I wasn't able to replace it by the same model so I bought another "full spectrum light". I am surprised because the visible light is white, previous one was pink.
After I installed new light I noticed brown stuff on the surface of chaeto and a lot of new green hairy algae and my chaeto population has decreased about 50% since then.

So, is the light bad? What cheap chaeto light can you recommend for refugium? My budget is about $50.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cheap Amazon refugium light died a month ago and I wasn't able to replace it by the same model so I bought another "full spectrum light". I am surprised because the visible light is white, previous one was pink.
After I installed new light I noticed brown stuff on the surface of chaeto and a lot of new green hairy algae and my chaeto population has decreased about 50% since then.

So, is the light bad? What cheap chaeto light can you recommend for refugium? My budget is about $50.
Got to Amazon again, lots of pink led grow lights you can get for that price.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UFO grow light on Amazon , I throw out chaeto every two weeks or so

Attachments

• 813BF847-6727-40D1-9133-9DE0F24974B6.jpeg
    813BF847-6727-40D1-9133-9DE0F24974B6.jpeg
    227.2 KB · Views: 94

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Go to Lowes, get a daylight led spot bulb ( 5k color range) for $6-$7, clamp-on fixture for another $6-$7.

OP
OP
lost66

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UFO grow light on Amazon
Thank you.
I would have gotten the Tunze 8831
As I said, $50, not $100 but thank you.

I doubt its the light that is causing an issue
I consider this as an option too. Phosphate is 0.11ppm, nitrate 0.4ppm. What I recently changed is that light and started to dose amino, once a day and reef chili 2 times a week. I noticed couple of rocks have green hairy algae about 0.5" thick but other rocks starts to have a film of that algae so I assume it will grow more.
Any hints?

King_CRAB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SEAMETAL 2-Pack LED Grow Light 45W Indoor Plant Grow Lamps Red and Blue Full Spectrum LED Hydroponic Growing Lamp for Greenhouse Seedlings Flowers Vegetables https://a.co/d/hmUaZx9. This works great.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the ACKE LED plant light from Amazon, it’s around $25. It’s great. In my 3 gallon refugium, I harvest 1/3 to 1/2 a plastic grocery of chaeto and caulerpa every 7-10 days. Overall, really impressed with it.

OP
OP
lost66

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased this one from Amazon but I don't know how it performs because I had an apocalypse in my tank and lost most if not all chaeto and I may still have some fluconazole in the system preventing the growth of what I think may be chaeto. My phosphate is raising so I assume it is flow dying algae. I need to make few more water changes and get new batch of chaeto to see if it works.
Couple other sources told me such a light is way overkill for an algae and I would go with a simple bulb but I have a lot of surface in my sump for chaeto and I wonted to cover as much as possible because in my case I have never been in a place I needed to remove chaeto because it was growing too much.
1663610630087.png

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased this one from Amazon but I don't know how it performs because I had an apocalypse in my tank and lost most if not all chaeto and I may still have some fluconazole in the system preventing the growth of what I think may be chaeto. My phosphate is raising so I assume it is flow dying algae. I need to make few more water changes and get new batch of chaeto to see if it works.
Couple other sources told me such a light is way overkill for an algae and I would go with a simple bulb but I have a lot of surface in my sump for chaeto and I wonted to cover as much as possible because in my case I have never been in a place I needed to remove chaeto because it was growing too much.
1663610630087.png
Awesome man, thanks for the response. Hopefully your tank gets back on track. I've had flux kinda throw off the balance for a while before as well. Carbon should help too

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the ACKE LED plant light from Amazon, it’s around $25. It’s great. In my 3 gallon refugium, I harvest 1/3 to 1/2 a plastic grocery of chaeto and caulerpa every 7-10 days. Overall, really impressed with it.

I just got the same one. How long are you running it?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back