Refugium question.

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running a fuge with cheato for most of my tanks life, which is about 6 month.
I saw some cyano in there and thought I'd try a few days blackout.
I've noticed my PH hasn't dropped as much at night the last two days with no light, and I would have expected the opposite.
Although, there can be several reasons that the fuge and cheat has little impact on the ph, I'm starting to wonder if my fuge is just a waste of space?

Is there a minimum recommende size for the fuge to have any noticeable effect?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been running a fuge with cheato for most of my tanks life, which is about 6 month.
I saw some cyano in there and thought I'd try a few days blackout.
I've noticed my PH hasn't dropped as much at night the last two days with no light, and I would have expected the opposite.
Although, there can be several reasons that the fuge and cheat has little impact on the ph, I'm starting to wonder if my fuge is just a waste of space?

Is there a minimum recommende size for the fuge to have any noticeable effect?
Depends, what is the main goal of growing macro algae in your tank? Nutrient export, pH stability, pods? Also, I wouldn’t worry about a little cyano, especially in the sump. If it’s there and not in the display, I don’t see a problem.
I’ll also add, that what most hobbyist refer to a fuge today is simply an algae reactor/reservoir and not a true refugium. Not to be the “get off my lawn” guy, but a true refugium will consist of mud or a deep sand layer, live rock or rubble, with sponges along with various macro algae.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends, what is the main goal of growing macro algae in your tank? Nutrient export, pH stability, pods? Also, I wouldn’t worry about a little cyano, especially in the sump. If it’s there and not in the display, I don’t see a problem.
I’ll also add, that what most hobbyist refer to a fuge today is simply an algae reactor/reservoir and not a true refugium. Not to be the “get off my lawn” guy, but a true refugium will consist of mud or a deep sand layer, live rock or rubble, with sponges along with various macro algae.
True. Let's just call it 'open algae reactor'.
I guess I added it to grow pods and the idea of exporting nutrients with algae seemed like a good idea.
I'm wondering if it collects as much or more debris, then it consumes.

I'm basically not sure if having it has any real benefits (the way it is setup).

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
True. Let's just call it 'open algae reactor'.
I guess I added it to grow pods and the idea of exporting nutrients with algae seemed like a good idea.
I'm wondering if it collects as much or more debris, then it consumes.

I'm basically not sure if having it has any real benefits (the way it is setup).
You may need more flow if you're seeing buildup? I don't think you need the spinning ball of chaeto, but there should be enough flow to move things along. Also, macro algae are great consumers of trace elements, as well as nutrients, so if you're depleted in one of those areas, then you might not get the growth you desire. What are your current nutrient parameters? I also don't like to dose things that I'm not testing for, but ChaetoGro is pretty good at helping out in the trace elements dept.
My apologies for the correction about the fuge, but I see info like this get lost (even by experienced reefers and the YouTube presence) all too often, so it's just a reminder for those reading along.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may need more flow if you're seeing buildup? I don't think you need the spinning ball of chaeto, but there should be enough flow to move things along. Also, macro algae are great consumers of trace elements, as well as nutrients, so if you're depleted in one of those areas, then you might not get the growth you desire. What are your current nutrient parameters? I also don't like to dose things that I'm not testing for, but ChaetoGro is pretty good at helping out in the trace elements dept.
My apologies for the correction about the fuge, but I see info like this get lost (even by experienced reefers and the YouTube presence) all too often, so it's just a reminder for those reading along.
I don't really see much debris on the bottom, but the chaeto itself does hold various things.
My nitrates and phosphates are around 10 and 0.08 respectively.
There is decent flow, so I do not think that is an issue.
It could be the light source that is insufficient, but I just can't help thinking that it has very little effect on anything in my tank. I'm not even seeing that many pods in there.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What light are you using and how long of a photo period? Also, what’s your feeding regime for the display? How many fish?
The light is some semi cheap grow light.
I use to run it 12 hours.
Fish:
2 clowns
2 chromis
2 tangs
1 hawkfish

Usually feed them twice a day with various frozen food/ pellets and some nori now and then.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to keep asking questions, but how big is the display and the fuge? Is the grow light a red led? How many watts?
Thats fine. You need as much info as possible.
DT is 360 L (9X gl).
I think fuge is 40 L (10 gl).
Light is a 40w grow light with red, blue and a few uv leds.
The fuge surface isn't that big, which ofcourse limits the amount of light the cheato gets.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could try a little ChaetoGro to see if that helps? Also, you may have to trim it more frequently to ensure there’s new growth and it’s not stalling because most of it isn’t receiving adequate lighting. I have the same size tank, but I feed twice as much as you and I’m using a Kessil H160 on a slightly smaller area. If I don’t trim every two weeks, then my phosphates start to rise from the chaeto on the bottom not getting enough light. I’m running my light about 11hrs and I have to dose 1ppm of nitrates nightly to maintainable slight measurement.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try a little ChaetoGro to see if that helps? Also, you may have to trim it more frequently to ensure there’s new growth and it’s not stalling because most of it isn’t receiving adequate lighting. I have the same size tank, but I feed twice as much as you and I’m using a Kessil H160 on a slightly smaller area. If I don’t trim every two weeks, then my phosphates start to rise from the chaeto on the bottom not getting enough light. I’m running my light about 11hrs and I have to dose 1ppm of nitrates nightly to maintainable slight measurement.
I have only removed a bit so far.
It has grown quite a bit. Maybe I should try remove some and 'loosen up' the rest. It's a pretty solid chunk right now.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back