Refugium Refusal : Why would you NOT run a refugium?

Why wouldn't you have a refugium running on your reef tank?

• No Space or equipment

Votes: 212 25.9%
  • Don't think it's worth the extra time or money

Votes: 51 6.2%
  • Tried it and it didn't work out for me

Votes: 61 7.4%
  • I do have a refugium running

Votes: 440 53.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 56 6.8%

• Total voters

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small Fuge running to grow Cheato. It only holds a ball of Cheato about softball sized and a few Hermit Crabs. Besides some (little) binding and export of nutrients, it will be a home for pods when the tank gets a little more mature. It sits above my return section and only takes up about 16" X 16" X 8" of otherwise wasted space. I won't say that it helps a lot, but it helps a little, doesn't take up space needed for other things, and provides a spot to maintain a little diversity.

I've tried large cryptic fuges, Macro Algae fuges, and others. Seems like I always end up tearing them down to make room for something else.

Lex_510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New 90 gallon and I have one going!

Tank and Sump Light.jpg

Chaeto Over.jpg

Chaeto Sammich.jpg
What kind of magnetic are you using

MohH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a Fuge is not only a place to grow macro algae but a safe place for pods etc...my sump for example has too much flow for pods to be able to flourish so i made a small fuge (due to space limitations under the stand) where pods can multiply and the return from this goes into the return chamber of the sump.My goal is to have a constant supply of these small critters to sustain a mandarin.

Attachments

• 22BC38A2-8C46-45FD-B183-335A1376C951.jpeg
    22BC38A2-8C46-45FD-B183-335A1376C951.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 52
  • CEE08D67-F34A-4A79-A116-AAAAACDDF599.jpeg
    CEE08D67-F34A-4A79-A116-AAAAACDDF599.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 72

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a refugium, and I absolutely love it. Very easy to manage and one of the most effective filters IMO. All you need is a (decent) light and some algae and your'e good to go! Also saves you money and time, because you will need to do less to no waterchanges. You will need to dose te replenish minerals, but it's cheaper than salt.

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you subscribe to the theory that we are trying to re-create the ocean ecosystem to the best of our abilities then a macro algae growing refugium is an important piece of that. In my 10 years experience of running my reef everything seems to run better when my refugium is running well with an abundance of macro algae growth.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the day, a refugeum was aptly named... a refuge for creatures beneficial to your reef, outside of the display. We used to run sand, or mud, live rock, rubble, macro algae (Caulerpa of one type or another was more common then). Slow flow. We'd buy mysid, gammarus, various types of worms, live sand starters, etc. from places like Inland Aquatics, GARF, and IPSF. The idea was a wide variety of organisms. Biologic diversity. Heck, I used to use Xenia as nutrient export, after I'd had C. Racemosa go sexual and make a big mess.

These days, most refugeum are really just an empty space for chaetomorpha.

Ok, there are still a few real refugeum around, but yeah... chaeto as a nutrient export seems to be the norm. Nothing wrong with that... it works well.

From my perspective, if all you want to do is grow chaeto as nutrient export, why not use a macro reactor? Less space, more efficient, keeps it from ending up in places you don't want it, holds down nuisance algae algae, since the bulk of the sump is kept dark.

That's my choice these days. Macro reactor full of Chaeto. Very little maintenance... I clean it out every two months, throw out a 5 gallon bucket of Chaeto, seal it back up... out of sight, out of mind.

Pods? Most of what people are calling 'pods' today seem to be Gammarus shrimp, or scuds. Amphipods. They're large enough that people notice them. I've never seen a need to provide a refugeum for these critters... If you've got live rock, sand, and corals, they're almost like bristle worms... just _try_ and keep them out. Of course, a few wrasses will keep the population low, but rest assured, they're still there.

Copepods seem to be less recognized these days. Many reefers most assuredly still have copepods living and breeding in their tanks... I know there's a healthy population of several species in my tank, anyway, but they are seldom seen. With my eyes, I've got to have a magnifying glass and a flashlight to spot them.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never clean my sump. nothing somer than that.

I ran Triton for 18 months or so, which in essence is a large fuge and no socks as far as the sump goes. For my set up (barebottom) it absolutely required fairly frequent sump cleaning. Any and all equipment in the sump also got caked up with detritus much faster. I don't see a way around that...

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This grew from a literally golf ball piece after switching to the Zetlight E200

Attachments

• IMG_20210401_064904231.jpg
    IMG_20210401_064904231.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 58

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried a couple times with the cheato just eventually withering away. I think I just was not using the proper light. Used screw in coil plant bulb with no luck.

If there is a screw in bulb coil bulb that work let me know and I will try again.

DarfrogDojo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a small refugium that is built into my Eshopps R200 sump. It only has chaeto and a Brightwell Bio plate. To me it is worth maintaining to help keep nutrients in check and also build my critter population. Recently I also added a small display refugium to the side of my tank to grow macro algae and house a few smaller calm water fish that might not make it in my DT with the big boys.

Red_Dragon_Tongue_Algae_2.jpg Red_Dragon_Tongue_Algae-3.jpg Red_Dragon_Tongue_Algae-4.jpg Red_Dragon_Tongue_Algae.jpeg

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried a couple times with the cheato just eventually withering away. I think I just was not using the proper light. Used screw in coil plant bulb with no luck.

If there is a screw in bulb coil bulb that work let me know and I will try again.
I had a cheap black box grow light that the chaeto hated but caulerpa loved. The caulerpa took over the chaeto shrank and when I switched lights the opposite happened. I have the brillo type of chaeto it apparently likes less intensity.

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the day, a refugeum was aptly named... a refuge for creatures beneficial to your reef, outside of the display. We used to run sand, or mud, live rock, rubble, macro algae (Caulerpa of one type or another was more common then). Slow flow. We'd buy mysid, gammarus, various types of worms, live sand starters, etc. from places like Inland Aquatics, GARF, and IPSF. The idea was a wide variety of organisms. Biologic diversity. Heck, I used to use Xenia as nutrient export, after I'd had C. Racemosa go sexual and make a big mess.
Greybeard, this sounds absolutely ideal. Why do you think the hobby has gone away from this?

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods? Most of what people are calling 'pods' today seem to be Gammarus shrimp, or scuds. Amphipods. They're large enough that people notice them. I've never seen a need to provide a refugeum for these critters... If you've got live rock, sand, and corals, they're almost like bristle worms... just _try_ and keep them out. Of course, a few wrasses will keep the population low, but rest assured, they're still there.

Copepods seem to be less recognized these days. Many reefers most assuredly still have copepods living and breeding in their tanks... I know there's a healthy population of several species in my tank, anyway, but they are seldom seen. With my eyes, I've got to have a magnifying glass and a flashlight to spot them.
Greybeard is spot on. There are 2 great articles in the forum written on this that everyone should check out!

(1) Intermediate Topic - Close Encounters of the Copepod Kind | REEF2REEF Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Forum

(1) Amazing Amphipods | REEF2REEF Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Forum

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran Triton for 18 months or so, which in essence is a large fuge and no socks as far as the sump goes. For my set up (barebottom) it absolutely required fairly frequent sump cleaning. Any and all equipment in the sump also got caked up with detritus much faster. I don't see a way around that...
Never had your problems at all. I feed quite a bit and regular. I have a skimmer return pump plus a pump supplying my ATS. I clean them once in a blue moon.

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Between vibrant and a refugium, I choose vibrant.
Tho, I've been contemplating a mangrove fuge since mangroves are unaffected by vibrant.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%

Back