Refugium Refusal : Why would you NOT run a refugium?

BRS

Why wouldn't you have a refugium running on your reef tank?

• No Space or equipment

Votes: 204 25.9%
  • Don't think it's worth the extra time or money

Votes: 47 6.0%
  • Tried it and it didn't work out for me

Votes: 59 7.5%
  • I do have a refugium running

Votes: 424 53.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 55 7.0%

• Total voters

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I think a refugium is vital to a larger tank. The smaller nano tanks I think can run quite well with frequent water changes and no fuge. But I would never run a larger tank (55 gallon and up) without one. I love how diverse my fuge is with life. It provides constant live food for my fish like pods and mysis shrimp. And the chaeto grows super fast. I harvested more than half of it just a couple weeks ago and gave all of that away. It has already almost doubled in volume. I spend just as much time watching the critters in my fuge as I do the critters in my display.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I don’t feel like they’re worth the extra effort, so I don’t run one. I’m just using a large protein skimmer, a filter sock and a weekly 10% water change (20g every saturday) for nutrient control and just that alone seems to be plenty. I’ve had my new system up for a few weeks and check out the growth tips on this birdsnest! (This is a 200ish gallon system)

image.jpg

Last edited:

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Very old tank. I already struggle to have detectable nitrate and phosphate. Most of my money instead goes to feeding fish and coral food and I feed heavy. I also regularly dose PNS bacteria. No way for me to tell how the lack of a refugium affects my tank's biodiversity, but corals are healthy and grow quickly. I also see all sorts of pods/stomatella on rocks and tank glass. I'm probably fine without a refugium and don't feel the need to change what's already been working for me.

The only benefit I probably could reap from having a refugium is an increase in pH if I grew macro algae but mine is already a steady 8.4.
I’m on the same page here. Water change is my primary nutrient control method and also a way I’m guaranteeing my tank always has not just trace elements, but a balanced ratio of them, which I think matters to some degree. I’m dosing saturated kalk on a kamoer fx-stp and use the higher magnesium in reef crystals to supplement that. If water changes alone can’t keep up with mag consumption, I’ll just manually dose mag to the water change trashcan before adding it to the tank. Also, I have a mandarin who seems to have no issues continually finding pods with the lack of a refugium, but will greedily eat any passing mysis or brine I dump into the tank. While a good talking point for guests, I just don’t see the added complexity and maintenance of a refugium or even an ATS as being worth it in my case.

Twillyg21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have a Refugium in my Red Sea 3xl 900, 240 gallon system underneath in my cabinet, I run an in tank refugium for balance during the day when my fuge lights are off, and I just added a couple mangroves to grow out of my overflow and hopefully grow up to my vaulted ceilings over the next few years!

I run Sea Lettuce, Red Ogo, and Caulerpa Prolifera in my lower refugium, and just Red Ogo in my in tank refugium. I also keep some purple rock rubble in the in tank refugium that I epoxy frag to instead of plugs when I get new coral

Attachments

• 88CEF17E-419C-4578-87B1-E27E1251589E.jpeg
    88CEF17E-419C-4578-87B1-E27E1251589E.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 61B731C0-91B4-4FE5-95DF-DF351E09987C.jpeg
    61B731C0-91B4-4FE5-95DF-DF351E09987C.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 3

Struttmaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Still early days do me but have decided to add a hang on refugium to my sump I’m hoping the extra volume, although only 10 litres roughly will assist a little with stability on my 50g.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
I picked up a Finnex HOB fuge with Stingray led light thought it would be great for mostly pod cultivating since I have a mandarin, key words "thought it'd be a good idea".....yeah not so much and not sure if just a coincidence but have had nothing but major algae issues since setup so took it down. Also couldn't keep chaeto alive so gave up on it.

nick0206

View Badges
Reaction score
I do not use a refugium and a scrubber at this time, since my current tank works like a ULNS on the Korallen-zucht philosophy.
I love to experiment and currently it is ULNS.
Before that, I had both a refugium and a scrubber.
If you ask me, I think there is much more benefit from a scrubber.

BRS

If Reefing was a school what letter grade do you think you would be making?

• A

Votes: 62 11.4%
  • B

Votes: 244 44.8%
  • C

Votes: 175 32.1%
  • D

Votes: 40 7.3%
  • F

Votes: 22 4.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 0.4%