Refugium: Right size and placement

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading the articles on the most recent Coral magazine “Refugiums gone Wild”, I’ve decided to add my knowledge and experience on the subject.
Both Julian Sprung and Marc Levenson, mention the significance of having a refugium sized properly to the display’s volume. Levenson, recommends a refugium to be no less than 10% of Display tanks volume. So, for a 100 gal display, a 10 gal (20x10x12), would be minimum.
What I here very often from fellow reef hobbyist is that they don’t have the space to accommodate the properly sized refugium in the cabinet. The article by Levenson does have creative ideas on how he incorporates a refugium in his systems through a compartmentalized custom sump and other ways of placing a refugium in other types of set ups.
I started my first refugium in 1998. 3 years after setting up my first reef aquarium, I found myself dealing with hair algae that nearly drove me to quit the hobby. Around this time I read an article by Mike Paletta, where he was using “The Ecosystem Aquarium” method with “Miracle Mud” as a refugium substrate and growing caulerpa,
with great success meanwhile keeping nutrients in check.
I wanted to incorporate this system into my 3 yr old 65 gal reef with hair algae problem, but where and how was the big question. Secondly, was it gonna work as claimed and get rid of nuisance algae.
I got on ecosystem aquariums website and calculated the properly sized refugium and amount of mud for a 65 gal display. It called for 10lbs of mud, and a sump that would be too big to fit in my cabinet. I ended up, using the recommended surface area of their sump and custom built a longer, narrower, and shallower refugium that would fit inside the cabinet. Although, not along the floor of the cabinet where the preexisting sump, external protein skimmer and external pump were located, but above, on a shelf I put in. My idea, was to split the return coming from the display, and place gate valves to regulate how much water would go to refugium and how much would go directly to sump below. The refugium sump above would dump into the other sump below it. I re plumbed the system with the incorporated refugium and caulerpa and within 1 month the hair algae was gone! This display is still running great today. Here it is.
AE9F31DF-685D-47D5-B9E8-D44CC04821B4.jpeg
D754A7A0-F4A3-44EF-8D2E-B9DEE096A5CE.jpeg

As you can see, it’s pretty tight, in a cabinet with a footprint of around 45”x12”. The height of this cabinet is 40” which is of most importance when doing these types of set ups. The refugium above is 30”x8”x 10” tall. On the left is a dinosaur of a skimmer, a Top Fathom 110, on the right, an external pump. The custom made secondary sump handles display and refugium overflow in case of power outage. External pump feeds skimmer and turns over display.
From this initial set up, I based every set up I’ve put together since.
Here is my 120 gal display since 2006.
76F5CAEB-9258-4FAA-A7DC-E3BCC5813B78.jpeg
E4C3CC3C-E748-4F7B-A48F-566ED1F5FF45.jpeg
Here is my dual 60 frag/grow out (2018)
52222E53-17AF-41E7-9E2E-37B8A5FC9397.jpeg
32695673-A682-473B-B815-08E3ACD82F0A.jpeg

So, as you can see incorporating a refugium when space is limited is also possible by going vertical within the cabinet. The only thing necessary is a tall cabinet and a refugium and sump that fits. Of course, custom sizing these to fit is even better. I hope you all have liked my ideas on incorporating a refugium into a new or preexisting system. If you have any questions, let me know.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the innovation. So you have continued with the miracle mud? I read a lot of positive and negative views on it.

OP
OP
Rjramos

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the innovation. So you have continued with the miracle mud? I read a lot of positive and negative views on it.
Thank you. I have continued with the Miracle Mud, used at 1” always. I find it gives habitat to worms, amphipods, mysis and other creatures. It has the ability to zero out your nutrients, especially NO3 so this must be checked and adjustments made.
In the dual 60 set up, I turned off the skimmer over 1 year ago, and went from 24 hr lighting of refugium to reverse display lighting( at night). Still, not many fish in these tanks, I find myself feeding lots of micro corals foods. On the other 2 reef set ups, the skimming and lighting of refugium are 24 hrs. Simultaneously. Nutrient levels sustained in these. What I love is that I never find myself with high nutrients and this or that to knock it down. Just feeding to bump up is easier.

OP
OP
Rjramos

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a bump. I dislike when I put a lot of effort and time into a thread, on a current topic of interest, with proven results, and get crickets back. Maybe, because I posted earlier in the week didn’t catch any interest and got shoved back by other threads? Or maybe it’s too long or uninteresting to read. I don’t know ‍♂️

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a bump. I dislike when I put a lot of effort and time into a thread, on a current topic of interest, with proven results, and get crickets back. Maybe, because I posted earlier in the week didn’t catch any interest and got shoved back by other threads? Or maybe it’s too long or uninteresting to read. I don’t know ‍♂️
Well, I didn't answer because I don't know enough to be helpful.

Aside -- it's easier for me to read and digest things like this when the key points/questions are bullet points rather than a long chapter,,, but that's personal preference.

Good luck...

SaltyZinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like an out of the box thought. I am thinking of doing the same thing but utilizing space ABOVE my display tank. Since I'm only at 23 Gal or so I don't need a huge refugium. Like maybe 5-6 gallons in a low, long style too. Where the water is pumped up into from the back of my AIO to the refugium on one end and then it drains back down from the other end. I haven't seen this but I don't want a siphon going down bc I have crazy kids and keeping this stuff up higher is better for longevity in the hobby for me.
Thanks for the share dude, was a good read. Gave me some hope to just "got 'er done".

NM All beach no ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always file these types of information in my Reef Notes section on my computer. I've used them for my current build and on previous builds... and for future builds. Just a way to save all the things that catch my interest.

Helter Skilter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My old 210 SPS system had a 135 gallon fuge with about 600# of dsb and extra 100# of rock. It was awesome having the extra system volume and biological filtration, not to mention the cool critters that inhabbited it. It also allowed me to overstock the display with fish and still keep a ULN system. Additionally, it helped regulate heat with 1500 watts of light over the display. Then there's the benefits of a huge cryptic pod population constantly replenishing the display and offering a natural food source for coral.

More is more when it comes to fuges. Go as big as you can and you will be rewarded.

It's ridiculously easy to build a fuge into a diy sump. All you need is a tank that will fit under your stand, some glass panels for baffles (I had Lowes cut them for me), and some silicone. Figure out how much room you need for your skimmer, and how big of a sump you want, and put the fuge between them. You'll want baffles between the skimmer and fuge, but a single pane is sufficient between the fuge and sump.

I used bricks to keep the panels upright, and 1" wide wood scraps for spacing while the silicone cured. I find it easiest to install baffles with the tank laying on its side. It's easier to control the distance between the center baffle and the bottom of the tank.

I hope the diy part made sense. This turned into a much longer post than I had anticipated when I started typing.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading the articles on the most recent Coral magazine “Refugiums gone Wild”, I’ve decided to add my knowledge and experience on the subject.
Both Julian Sprung and Marc Levenson, mention the significance of having a refugium sized properly to the display’s volume. Levenson, recommends a refugium to be no less than 10% of Display tanks volume. So, for a 100 gal display, a 10 gal (20x10x12), would be minimum.
What I here very often from fellow reef hobbyist is that they don’t have the space to accommodate the properly sized refugium in the cabinet. The article by Levenson does have creative ideas on how he incorporates a refugium in his systems through a compartmentalized custom sump and other ways of placing a refugium in other types of set ups.
I started my first refugium in 1998. 3 years after setting up my first reef aquarium, I found myself dealing with hair algae that nearly drove me to quit the hobby. Around this time I read an article by Mike Paletta, where he was using “The Ecosystem Aquarium” method with “Miracle Mud” as a refugium substrate and growing caulerpa,
with great success meanwhile keeping nutrients in check.
I wanted to incorporate this system into my 3 yr old 65 gal reef with hair algae problem, but where and how was the big question. Secondly, was it gonna work as claimed and get rid of nuisance algae.
I got on ecosystem aquariums website and calculated the properly sized refugium and amount of mud for a 65 gal display. It called for 10lbs of mud, and a sump that would be too big to fit in my cabinet. I ended up, using the recommended surface area of their sump and custom built a longer, narrower, and shallower refugium that would fit inside the cabinet. Although, not along the floor of the cabinet where the preexisting sump, external protein skimmer and external pump were located, but above, on a shelf I put in. My idea, was to split the return coming from the display, and place gate valves to regulate how much water would go to refugium and how much would go directly to sump below. The refugium sump above would dump into the other sump below it. I re plumbed the system with the incorporated refugium and caulerpa and within 1 month the hair algae was gone! This display is still running great today. Here it is.
AE9F31DF-685D-47D5-B9E8-D44CC04821B4.jpeg
D754A7A0-F4A3-44EF-8D2E-B9DEE096A5CE.jpeg

As you can see, it’s pretty tight, in a cabinet with a footprint of around 45”x12”. The height of this cabinet is 40” which is of most importance when doing these types of set ups. The refugium above is 30”x8”x 10” tall. On the left is a dinosaur of a skimmer, a Top Fathom 110, on the right, an external pump. The custom made secondary sump handles display and refugium overflow in case of power outage. External pump feeds skimmer and turns over display.
From this initial set up, I based every set up I’ve put together since.
Here is my 120 gal display since 2006.
76F5CAEB-9258-4FAA-A7DC-E3BCC5813B78.jpeg
E4C3CC3C-E748-4F7B-A48F-566ED1F5FF45.jpeg
Here is my dual 60 frag/grow out (2018)
52222E53-17AF-41E7-9E2E-37B8A5FC9397.jpeg
32695673-A682-473B-B815-08E3ACD82F0A.jpeg

So, as you can see incorporating a refugium when space is limited is also possible by going vertical within the cabinet. The only thing necessary is a tall cabinet and a refugium and sump that fits. Of course, custom sizing these to fit is even better. I hope you all have liked my ideas on incorporating a refugium into a new or preexisting system. If you have any questions, let me know.
I have a question do you change out your miracle mud? I have not used miracle mud, but I bought a lot of Fiji mud before it was shut down.

Rene'

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds impressive, but I can't even begin to figure out how to do this with my system. My first thought after reading your post was, "will you come over to my house and do this for me"

OP
OP
Rjramos

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question do you change out your miracle mud? I have not used miracle mud, but I bought a lot of Fiji mud before it was shut down.
I try to change out 50% of the mud, half of center baffled area every 2 years. But more importantly, I monitor how it’s performing. If my nitrates and phosphates, are spot on, I leave it alone. In my frag/ grow out dual 60 gal system, I have not changed out mud since April 2018 when I started it. The PO4 and NO3 in this system has to be augmented through regular feeding and supplementation, otherwise they will both 0 out. Incredibly, the skimmer has been off since April 2021, and the refugium lighting went from 24 hrs to reverse cycle 12 hrs.This system has a lot of corals, but very few fish, so micro foods like reefroids are fed 2-3 times per week. I have tried different substrates in the past, Fiji mud, mineral mud, and also brightwell aquatics KoralLagoon, but these have allowed nutrients to get high over less than 2 years. Recently, I have a set up using 2 little fishies, Refugite, so far this is working out well.

OP
OP
Rjramos

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like an out of the box thought. I am thinking of doing the same thing but utilizing space ABOVE my display tank. Since I'm only at 23 Gal or so I don't need a huge refugium. Like maybe 5-6 gallons in a low, long style too. Where the water is pumped up into from the back of my AIO to the refugium on one end and then it drains back down from the other end. I haven't seen this but I don't want a siphon going down bc I have crazy kids and keeping this stuff up higher is better for longevity in the hobby for me.
Thanks for the share dude, was a good read. Gave me some hope to just "got 'er done".
It is great to work out of the box with ideas. A refugium above an AIO works great. Just make sure that when power goes out or a pumps fail, all water is kept off the floor.
I got an AIO 29 biocube going since 2014, I customized the back to include a skimmer, media basket, and refugium basket lit from the back glass. I am fortunate to have the know how and skills to work with acrylic and make custom sumps and gadgets to fit. About a year ago, I added refugite( 2 little fishies) to the main display. For what it’s worth, possibly is, the refugium basket in the back has about 1” of miracle mud in the bottom. I used to run purigen and chemi pure in the media basket but I pulled it, feeling it was antagonistic to the function and effectiveness of the chaeto and mud.

Attachments

• 00B5F904-ECAA-4CFC-B573-82174648CE35.jpeg
    00B5F904-ECAA-4CFC-B573-82174648CE35.jpeg
    276.9 KB · Views: 49
  • E5B4AE9A-1C15-4B72-9AEF-389DF32125F5.jpeg
    E5B4AE9A-1C15-4B72-9AEF-389DF32125F5.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 6C5D5167-D997-443F-B62B-548FF66D895B.jpeg
    6C5D5167-D997-443F-B62B-548FF66D895B.jpeg
    27.6 KB · Views: 56
  • C32FBCB8-2385-4C88-8B60-413AF75CC397.jpeg
    C32FBCB8-2385-4C88-8B60-413AF75CC397.jpeg
    607.6 KB · Views: 50
  • EBCEC012-884D-484F-9403-654403B0564C.jpeg
    EBCEC012-884D-484F-9403-654403B0564C.jpeg
    716.5 KB · Views: 74

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back