Refugium??

Byron malta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I’m new on this hobby. Can some of you be so kind and explain what exactly is a refugium?

khushtram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just think of everything in this hobby as extra $$. It’s just fancy names for $ signs :) hope this helps.

khushtram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol just kidding! It’s a separate section apart from your system, whether it be a hang on the back section or a separate section in your sump. It’s a place where macro algae can grow and critters can multiply.

OP
OP
B

Byron malta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a part in mu sump that s used as a refugium but don t actually know why its there i just have sand and live rock in it. I need to put something else for it to be useful for my tank?

khushtram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s all you need. You can add some amphipods . Copepods , tigrepods . And let them multiply this way your fish can have a constant supply of food. You can also add a fudge light and grow some macro algae in there. Post pics that will help.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people have a place where there are no fish or other predators. You can have algae, crabs, pods and other small creatures without the worry that the fish will eat them. You can use this to feed your tank. Most people have rock and sand like a normal tank in there. You can buy pods if you want. Even some macro algae. Chaeto is popular but you will need to add light for it to grow

OP
OP
B

Byron malta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s all you need. You can add some amphipods . Copepods , tigrepods . And let them multiply this way your fish can have a constant supply of food. You can also add a fudge light and grow some macro algae in there. Post pics that will help.
What type of macro algae? And what is a fudge light?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fuge light is of a spectrum that promotes algae to grow, away from tank where you don’t want algae. The algae in refuge grows using up and removing nitrates and phosphate , allowing for less water changes. Or no water changes if refuge is big enough

Macro algae is cheato, or calaurpra, etc, and is an algae that is a lil more complex then let’s say green hair algae

OP
OP
B

Byron malta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fuge light is of a spectrum that promotes algae to grow, away from tank where you don’t want algae. The algae in refuge grows using up and removing nitrates and phosphate , allowing for less water changes. Or no water changes if refuge is big enough

Macro algae is cheato, or calaurpra, etc, and is an algae that is a lil more complex then let’s say green hair algae
So if algae grows in my refugium I leave it there. Right?? And a refugium with macro algae is better i presume

khushtram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights are nothing special some people use clip on work lights from Home Depot with great success. Look up macro algae and start reading there’s a lot of articles on it.

OP
OP
B

Byron malta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a simple light will do. And for how long i should keep the light on?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if algae grows in my refugium I leave it there. Right?? And a refugium with macro algae is better i presume
macro is an algae = macroalgae. You get some from fellow reefer or lfs or online https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/macroalgae/ and you place it in refugium under light. If nitrate and phosphate are available it will grow. Once refuge is full you take out 2/3 and let it grow again

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A simple light will do. A simple 6500 k bulb will do better. A better light of red and blue color will do best

OP
OP
B

Byron malta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
macro is an algae = macroalgae. You get some from fellow reefer or lfs or online https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/macroalgae/ and you place it in refugium under light. If nitrate and phosphate are available it will grow. Once refuge is full you take out 2/3 and let it grow again
So macroalgae need light and n03 and p04 to grow? If i keep my n03 and p04 levels low, the macroalgae is of no use?

bluewill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you intentionally keep those levels low growing macroalgae's will use whats available for their needs , most reefers who still keep NO3 and PO4 very low have a hard time growing macro's. In simplified terms that's their fertilizer

OP
OP
B

Byron malta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i should put some caulerpa or chaeto in my refugium, give them light, and see if the macro live or not. If they dont live i will use the refugium as a tank for pods. I got it right?

Last edited:

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If pods are present they will live in there. Light or not, macro or not. Rocks and/or macro gives pods a more natural habitat

The macro growing consumes nitrate and phosphate helping to keep them low. So you can do less water changes.
If your nitrates and phosphates are low by some other means you prefer, than you don’t need to grow macro

OP
OP
B

Byron malta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So without macro in the refuge there s no need for light. Pods still will grow without any lights

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back