Refugium??

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It is a low cost compartment either hung on back of tank or underneath the tank often sharing a compartment inside the sump. It is classified as a biological filtration chamber which will reduce nitrate and phosphate in your aquarium water. Also called " Fuge", they provide a natural food source for your aquarium inhabitants where marine macroalgae or Chaeto can grow and thrive and absorb Nitrate and Phosphates. With these macro-algaes, you can sustain and grow micro-organisms like copepods and amphipods which provide a food source for corals and your fish. Saltwater refugiums will drastically reduce harmful Nitrates and Phosphates in your system no matter which version you go with.

bffbde89_vbattach235795.gif
onelevelsump800.PNG

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a little late but LIFX makes Edison and Bayonette fill colour LED lights. The mini pure out the equivalent of 60 watts and the app allows (for both iOs and Android) you to choose the spectrum and brightness. I dialled in the equivalent of 5 blue and 3 red and used the app to run its schedule. This light costs ~$50 and I had to mount it so it aims towards my macroalgae (I used the innards from an old photo enlarger). My Chaeto and Caulerpa Brachypus (doesn't go sexual) is growing like mad under this light. I could have spent a lot more on a purpose built refugium light.
Just wanted to share this with you folks. Here's a link for these lights:

Back