Refurbishing a used 120 Gallon.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a chat with my local glass shop. To have replacements cut for the damaged panels, 1 lengthwise side and the bottom would be almost as expensive as buying a new tank of similar size. About a $112 difference. Might as well keep it as is and use it for a reptile. King snakes are pretty cool too.

Maybe flip the side panel so the chips are at the top, less pressure? I don't know, not a glass expert.
This would definitely solve your problem. Challenging to cut clean and re silicone but it can be done. There are a few videos out there on building a tank. Big thing to remember to to leave the right amount of spacing between panes top to bottom for adherence.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would definitely solve your problem. Challenging to cut clean and re silicone but it can be done. There are a few videos out there on building a tank. Big thing to remember to to leave the right amount of spacing between panes top to bottom for adherence.

You figure it could be okay to reuse the side panel, and just flip it so the chips are at the top, just replace the bottom?
I figure learning to repair an aquarium is a good skill to know. Worst case, I have a couple hundred pounds of shattered glass, best case I have a shiny new(ish) aquarium.

Pictures to try and show the two chips I am talking about. One on each bottom corner of the same side panel. Not much depth to them, and it's fairly rounded, not jagged like that nasty one on the bottom.

DSC_0729.JPG DSC_0731.JPG DSC_0727.JPG DSC_0732.JPG

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoot I thought just the bottom was chipped but the sides look pretty beat up too. If this thing holds water then you could try to lay another glass on top of the bottom, with 1/8th spacing and caulk that sucker in. The sides I wouldn’t mess with, they look fragile around the wear

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the point of putting a new layer of glass on top of the existing pane? Spread out the weight of the rock and sand evenly over the entire surface area? Anything to do about reinforcing the side?
How much of a difference you figure that could make?

It holds water, no leaks that I have detected.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the point of putting a new layer of glass on top of the existing pane? Spread out the weight of the rock and sand evenly over the entire surface area? Anything to do about reinforcing the side?
How much of a difference you figure that could make?

It holds water, no leaks that I have detected.
Because one of the corners is broken it would give me piece of mind that the corner would not one day fail

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the sides are chipped and if weight is applied those can break easily, I don’t think water will weigh in there but still a place of concern.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back