Regal angelfish eating help

cflores

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow belly regal angelfish In qt. This is day 5 and he hasn’t eaten. I’ve tried clams, mussels, live black worms, Lrs, pe mysis, masstick. Algae tabs. I’ve rubberbanded food to a rock. Etc

I’ve kept an eye on ammonia with a badge. Changed water frequently.

I did a freshwater dip when he arrived and reef rally dip as well when he arrived-no signs of fluxes, or infection. Fish looks fat and healthy.Is swimming around fine. I’m starting to worry. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a fresh clam on the half shell laying on bottom of tank? Usually regals can’t resist that.
I know you said you tried clams above, not sure if it was frozen diced or shelled...

OP
OP
C

cflores

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a fresh clam on the half shell laying on bottom of tank? Usually regals can’t resist that.
Yes! I’ve thawed them out and left one on the bottom of the tank. Also did one with Kent garlic extract. So frustrating because he looks so healthy. The live black worms literally moved right past his mouth and nothing

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep trying the clams and paste the mastick on side of tank.

Question, when you put the food in, do you stand in front of tank, or walk away and watch from afar?
Was thinking possibly he’s a shy fish and being in front would spook him out? Just a long shot...

OP
OP
C

cflores

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they are shy eaters. So I walk away and watch from afar. I have a 4 in t pipe in the tank, so after a water change I stuck some mass tick to the bottom part of the t (against the glass) as I saw him picking at stuff prior to. The next day all the mass tick was still there :(

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep trying. I’ve had new Regals not eat for 7-10 days. Where you have him is best for now.

OP
OP
C

cflores

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the one thing I haven’t tried. I think hotrocks posted he uses red nori. Going to see if I can pick some up tomorrow as well as fresh scallops.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try flakes and pellets. Surprisingly they work pretty often with regal’s. I don’t QT regals in a traditional QT setup. I don’t find they do well with it usually. I have a second tank that is a 90g reef that I use as a qt for regals. I have a few other fish in there but it’s not really a tank that I take care of well. They seem to do much better in a more natural setting than in a qt tank with just pvc pipes. I also like to have a lot of macro algae in the tank until they settle in.

This is one I got from NYaquatics a couple weeks ago.

OP
OP
C

cflores

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried some tdo pellets. I try just some plain flake. I’ve been thinking he might not like the qt. I thank you

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried some tdo pellets. I try just some plain flake. I’ve been thinking he might not like the qt. I thank you

It may take some more time, but my Regal ate LRS "Reef Frenzy" right out of the gate.

Could be that your qt tank may have it freaked out.

Piranhapat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your issue is the tank that’s he’s in is mature enough that water par is stable. That’s good that he’s fat so don’t panic. Let him adjust to tank. With freshwater bath you threw him off. He will eat if he settles in if things are right. I had a fish go over 2 months not eat. Are you feeding with lights off. Did you try live brine shrimp. Make sure have no ammonia or very high nitrites, just give him time to settle. When you got him did you see him eat.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pellets (small) have worked for me. Your guy was probably a little stressed from the fw dip and will take a while to get eating.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live brine is one I didn't see on your lists, often works for me when all else is failing. I also like to use dither fish when possible to show finicky feeders that this stuff coming from the sky is food. Also like to use mastic mixed with angelfish preparations smeared on a rock.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second live brine shrimp and dither fish. My last resort when I got them. My LFS no longer sale them.

Whisperer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new yellow belly regal angel immediately went for my home made finely chopped sea scallops with nori and spirulina pellets (I also added a few drops of Selcon). Even my new three square anthias couldn't resist it. They did not like the mussel but my moorish idol and new splendid fairy wrasse love it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cflores

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t tried brine shrimp. Hard to find in my area. I’ll try the sea scallops nexts. I don’t have other fish to put in qt. I might pickup a small sea and reef clown fish to see if that helps. How about selcon? Does that work for appetite?

Whisperer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t tried brine shrimp. Hard to find in my area. I’ll try the sea scallops nexts. I don’t have other fish to put in qt. I might pickup a small sea and reef clown fish to see if that helps. How about selcon? Does that work for appetite?
I use it as vitamin supplement for fish. It has fatty acids, B12, vitamin C. Not sure if it improves fish appetite. They recommend to add to fish' foods.

Back