Regenerating actovated carbon in the microwave

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried this? I seen this article that suggests it makes it work again.

"The regeneration efficiency of activated carbons reaches 98 % even after 10 times of regeneration cycles."

It might even be better if the goal is color removal since absorbed metals done get removed from microwave radiation but organics seem to burn off.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like they are introducing controlled amounts of nitrogen gas during irradiation. Cool article but unless I am missing something, I’m not sure it would be practical for the home aquarist.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried this? I seen this article that suggests it makes it work again.

"The regeneration efficiency of activated carbons reaches 98 % even after 10 times of regeneration cycles."

It might even be better if the goal is color removal since absorbed metals done get removed from microwave radiation but organics seem to burn off.

Yes, definitely interesting. Thanks for the links.

If GAC wasn’t so cheap, regeneration of GAC would be on my list of projects. I think the hobby issue with GAC is not knowing when it is used up or whether it is doing its job, though not much of an issue because we change more often than we need.

Keep the reading material coming. You never know when we are going to find a link to the next big idea.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it. It makes a few sparks. I wonder what that is?

Fwiw i seen a diy where a guy drilled a 1/2" hole and fed a tube with nitrogen gas being fed into it. He had a beaker with the carbon and tube going in. Not sure how safe that would be because the radiation might escape. Interesting though. Imagine being able to buy one like this thats safe.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it. It makes a few sparks. I wonder what that is?

Fwiw i seen a diy where a guy drilled a 1/2" hole and fed a tube with nitrogen gas being fed into it. He had a beaker with the carbon and tube going in. Not sure how safe that would be because the radiation might escape. Interesting though. Imagine being able to buy one like this thats safe.

It makes no sense to me to try to drive out O2 in a home microwave oven, which presumably is what the N2 accomplishes.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

just looked at the link. I would not extrapolate a trial using organics that can readily vaporize to say one can remove organics that bind from seawater that mostly will not readily vaporize.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be the adsorbed heavy metals?

Don’t think they do anything different than other ions like sodium or chloride as they are not metallic.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes no sense to me to try to drive out O2 in a home microwave oven, which presumably is what the N2 accomplishes.
I thought nitrogen was large and that it helped create a bigger pore size?

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why you would even try but to each his own. I dig the small amount of carbon I use into my garden and call it a day lol.
For me its availability issues. Rox .8 is costly in canada and i use a lot of it. Plus id rather spend 5$ a year regenerating it if possible than 500$ buying new carbon.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me its availability issues. Rox .8 is costly in canada and i use a lot of it. Plus id rather spend 5$ a year regenerating it if possible than 500$ buying new carbon.
Got it. My usage is only 4 tablespoons a month on my 120 so not an issue for me.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought nitrogen was large and that it helped create a bigger pore size?

No. N2 is very small and Air is more than 70% nitrogen already. I suspect in this case it is intended to sweep away the phenol as it vaporizes and reduced oxygen will keep the GAC from getting oxidized/burning and prevents the phenol from being oxidized to less easily removed compounds.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand Randy? Are you saying heavy metals are not metallic ?

Correct. No heavy metals (or any metals) in reef tank water are metallic. metallic would be a chunk of, say, iron metal where most of the iron is Fe(0). Ions of iron, such as ferrous Fe++ and ferric Fe+++ are not considered metallic and do not behave in a way that chunks of metal do.

Chunks of metal in a microwave spark due to electric discharges at surfaces. Separate ions can’t do that. This article briefly describes it:

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. No heavy metals (or any metals) in reef tank water are metallic. metallic would be a chunk of, say, iron metal where most of the iron is Fe(0). Ions of iron, such as ferrous Fe++ and ferric Fe+++ are not considered metallic and do not behave in a way that chunks of metal do.

Chunks of metal in a microwave spark due to electric discharges at surfaces. Separate ions can’t do that. This article briefly describes it:

Thanks, very informative.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the carbon has bits of metal in it? It makes like a popping electrical.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 34.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 39 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 28 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back