Reintroduce the bully or not ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a YWG and had to take it out of the DT after a week or so because it was being attacked by my Allen’s damsel (not considered an aggressive damsel but still territorial).

I put the goby in a different tank for two weeks to let it heal and as soon as I put it back, the damsel went for it. So I caught the damsel yesterday and put it in the other tank and left the YWG in the DT.

Now I’m wondering what to do. If I put the damsel back in the DT in a few weeks, and it still attacks the YWG, there is no way I’m going to be able to catch it a second time with my trap. I’ll be stuck with the problem forever.

I’ve only done bully reintroduction once, with Mbunas (cyclids). I had left the bully in a different tank for 2-3 weeks and even moved the rocks around a bit in the DT before putting it back. But as soon as it was reintroduced, it gained its power back and was bullying again. (Mbunas are very aggressive, but still).

Sooooo…. What do do now ? Rehome the bully ?

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t think damsels are “reprogrammable“ with time outs, mirrors or re-scaping the way tangs are. Once they reach that stage, they just stay jerks on some level, lol.

I have a Pink Smith pair in my 80 gallon that were complete nightmares to certain new additions (Fairy Wrasses) in my tank. No amount of rescaping has changed their behavior. I’ve essentially had to wait out the territorial aggression period, and even then, sometimes they go out of their way to enforce their territory (though the aggression has largely died down).

Next step for me is to trap and banish them to the sump.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think damsels are “reprogrammable“ with time outs, mirrors or re-scaping the way tangs are. Once they reach that stage, they just stay jerks on some level, lol.

I have a Pink Smith pair in my 80 gallon that were complete nightmares to certain new additions (Fairy Wrasses) in my tank. No amount of rescaping has changed their behavior. I’ve essentially had to wait out the territorial aggression period, and even then, sometimes they go out of their way to enforce their territory (though the aggression has largely died down).

Next step for me is to trap and banish them to the sump.

I’m leaning towards bringing it back to my LFS. Unless I find someone local who wants it.

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try to reintroduce it in an acclimation box. If it doesn't calm down in a week being in there probably have no choice but to re-home.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try to reintroduce it in an acclimation box. If it doesn't calm down in a week being in there probably have no choice but to re-home.
My acclimation box is very small. Smaller than a pound of butter so I don’t think I could conclude anything from it being in there.

Unless I diy something. But for now the YWG is nowhere to be seen. Probably hiding somewhere, terrified. One of my pumps stopped working and I thought it went in there to hide but ai dismantled it and saw nothing.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if the damsel successfully accepts the goby because he was already there, it will likely attack any small fish you try to add later. I would not try to keep one unless you are totally committed to only keeping much larger aggressive fish and a 75 gal does not really lend itself to such a plan

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if the damsel successfully accepts the goby because he was already there, it will likely attack any small fish you try to add later. I would not try to keep one unless you are totally committed to only keeping much larger aggressive fish and a 75 gal does not really lend itself to such a plan
I agree and was aware of that before buying my Allen’s damsel. I did tons of research (there isn’t much info on them though) and those fish are said to be non-aggressive, unlike most other damsels.

But yeah, I need to consider this too as I might very well have problems adding more fish, which I need to do because my bioload is a bit too low.

Thanks, this is a very good point !

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of it. I bought a Rolands Damsel that was suppose to be non-aggressive. It was nothing but a problem, and took three months to catch it. No more damsels for me.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brought the Allen’s damsel back to where I bought it. While I was there I got a Firefish goby. Might as well maximize the 1 hour drive, lol !

I’m really glad it’s gone. The cardinal hangs out with the clowns more instead of staying in the corner. The new Firefish is shy but coming out more and more.

Let’s hope the YWG starts coming out soon as well !

Back