arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a very interesting thread on this:

My takeaway was:

Post in thread 'Light, Alkalinity, Nutrients.' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/light-alkalinity-nutrients.319223/post-9454985

If these are the general principles:
1. Low P (phosphorous limited) higher PAR leads to bleaching
2. High N (Nitrogen rich) lower Alk leads to reduced growth and browning.

Then...

ULNS should have lower PAR and lower Alk.

High N / Low P systems should have lower PAR and higher Alk.

Low N / High P systems should have higher PAR and lower Alk.

High N / High P systems should have higher PAR and Higher Alk.

Are these principles accepted in the reefing community?

If so, the question is what are the recommended values for SPS, LPS, Softies depending on the style of tank your running?

We know old school reefers were successful with ULNS which many tried to emulate for years. Could it be they were more successful because lighting wasn't as tunable as it is today and they targeted NSW Alk and achieved ULNS with lower PAR and lower Alk?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't know how many reefers run ULNS anymore, to be honest. If anything, I think there's more of a trend to run nutrients in the 5-10ppm/0.05-0.10 nitrate/phosphate range. I'm not running excessive PAR (even my SPS is well below 200), and while I'm not seeing phenomenal coral growth everything is stable, happy and healthy for the most part.

In answer to your question, yes - there may have been a method to the madness with the 'old school' way of doing things.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't know how many reefers run ULNS anymore, to be honest. If anything, I think there's more of a trend to run nutrients in the 5-10ppm/0.05-0.10 nitrate/phosphate range. I'm not running excessive PAR (even my SPS is well below 200), and while I'm not seeing phenomenal coral growth everything is stable, happy and healthy for the most part.

In answer to your question, yes - there may have been a method to the madness with the 'old school' way of doing things.
Wow under 200 with SPS? Not acros right maybe stylos or birdsnest or monti?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow under 200 with SPS? Not acros right maybe stylos or birdsnest or monti?
Chip's acro, actually. The top of it is maybe 150-175 PAR. I've got 3 monticaps in ~125-150 PAR right now - all are doing fine. I've got some other smaller SPS in the 115-125 PAR range as well.

Back