Remineralised RODI water

vmesri

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am setting up a nano reef tank and I am new to the hobby! I have purchased a RODI filter unit which comes with a ‘remineralisation’ filter (last stage I think).

I am wondering whether it is ok to use the remineralised water for my tank or I have to somehow bypass the last stage of filtering.

thanks,
Vahid

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO/DI usually doesnt come with the remineraliser cartridge. Are you sure there is an actual DI stage in the system? it sounds like this is a drinking water RO (only) unit. Some pictures would help, and yes, you dont want to use that cartridge for a reef tank.

OP
OP
V

vmesri

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am setting up a nano reef tank and I am new to the hobby! I have purchased a RODI filter unit which comes with a ‘remineralisation’ filter (last stage I think).

I am wondering whether it is ok to use the remineralised water for my tank or I have to somehow bypass the last stage of filtering.

thanks,
Vahid
RO/DI usually doesnt come with the remineraliser cartridge. Are you sure there is an actual DI stage in the system? it sounds like this is a drinking water RO (only) unit. Some pictures would help, and yes, you dont want to use that cartridge for a reef tank.
Yes its for drinking water. So do you suggest I have to take the cartridge out? I haven’t received the unit yet, I hope its doable!

OP
OP
V

vmesri

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes its for drinking water. So do you suggest I have to take the cartridge out? I haven’t received the unit yet, I hope its doable!

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most RO units are configurable. Yes you will need to remove the remineraliser cartridge and ADD a DI cartridge. Drinking RO units dont come with DI at all. Post a link where you got the filter, that way we can help more:)

OP
OP
V

vmesri

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most RO units are configurable. Yes you will need to remove the remineraliser cartridge and ADD a DI cartridge. Drinking RO units dont come with DI at all. Post a link where you got the filter, that way we can help more:)
Thanks, link is posted above

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need to remove these 2:
1613492854280.png

and add a DI cartridge as the last stage.

This filter is configurable, its all push connect fittings, so anything can be removed/added

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can probably remove the Post-carbon Cartridge too, but it wont hurt anything if you keep it

OP
OP
V

vmesri

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can probably remove the Post-carbon Cartridge too, but it wont hurt anything if you keep it
If I couldn’t find DI cartridge which fits the unit, would I still be able to use it? I know it sounds silly but I can put two carbon cartridges in the last two chambers for extra filtering!

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's how I have mine set up. Starts on the lower left for the sediment filter. Then up to the dual carbon block filters, then the dual 90gpd ro membranes then dual di filters. My tap water starts around 700-800tds. It drops to about 200after the carbon blocks and after the ro membranes its down to 12-16tds. Have to change out a di filter about once a month making around 150gal a week.

OP
OP
V

vmesri

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's how I have mine set up. Starts on the lower left for the sediment filter. Then up to the dual carbon block filters, then the dual 90gpd ro membranes then dual di filters. My tap water starts around 700-800tds. It drops to about 200after the carbon blocks and after the ro membranes its down to 12-16tds. Have to change out a di filter about once a month making around 150gal a week.
Very helpful thanks!

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I couldn’t find DI cartridge which fits the unit, would I still be able to use it? I know it sounds silly but I can put two carbon cartridges in the last two chambers for extra filtering!
Well you most certainly would get a better "result" if you used the RO unit even without the DI cartridge vs just using tap water. Extra carbon blocks wont help much, you would just be wasting money at that point.

The RO membrane does the 99% of filtering. The first and second stage is just basically to make sure the membrane doesnt get clogged by sediment or eaten away by chlorine. The DI at the end is to get that last 1% of contaminants out of the water. 99% filtering is still excellent in my book. BUT YMMV! depending on that 1% thats left, could be harmless or could be a problem. Your tank will tell you.

Shannon_Hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a standard RO 10” unit, so there are plenty of DI cartridges for that, or you can do a refillable cartridge and add your own DI media. Also, I would use DI in the last 2 filters. You will have 2 open anyway, so might as well do DI in both. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-pre-packed-deionization-resin-color-changing.html

OP
OP
V

vmesri

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a standard RO 10” unit, so there are plenty of DI cartridges for that, or you can do a refillable cartridge and add your own DI media. Also, I would use DI in the last 2 filters. You will have 2 open anyway, so might as well do DI in both. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-pre-packed-deionization-resin-color-changing.html
Thanks! I ended up keeping all the cartridges in the system (total of 7!) and installed it under the sink so we could use it for drinking water. However after the RO filter I added a T with a valve and then connected the valve to a DI cartridge that I purchased separately.
This way to fill the tank I can just open the valve and produce RODI water and bypass the last three cartridges!

Thanks everyone for your help!

Shannon_Hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I ended up keeping all the cartridges in the system (total of 7!) and installed it under the sink so we could use it for drinking water. However after the RO filter I added a T with a valve and then connected the valve to a DI cartridge that I purchased separately.
This way to fill the tank I can just open the valve and produce RODI water and bypass the last three cartridges!

Thanks everyone for your help!

Nice!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back