Remote WiFi controlled outlets?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve gone back and forth on my thinking about these. I like the idea of them as a last resort fall back option. Say a port on your controller gets stuck on and the heater thermostat is dead, you can remotely kill the outlet. I don’t know what happens if these are on a switched outlet though.

The part that worries me is reliability of the switch itself. What if it sticks on/off? Does the company need to exist for me to reach the outlet from off my WiFi network?

I’ve thought about getting a pair for my RODI so I can use an IFTTT setup to turn it off when the bucket is full or after some set time.

OP
OP
Cornerboy

Cornerboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I'm not sure how they would dude turning on and off a dozen times today, but I'm thinking to turn off a heater and turn on a fan in the event of emergency it seems like a very interesting option

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use them. I have one that controls my sump light and is linked to my google home. This was so i can voice turn on and off the lighting in my sump while i tinker in there.

The shape does take up a little more that one slot depending on the plug size. See picture. The others run lights in different areas, even the christmas tree. They have worked good sonfar and are a good price.

20180114_113525.jpg

OP
OP
Cornerboy

Cornerboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn't thought about the size. I'm glad to know it works for you!!

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reelss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used smart outlets in my freshwater application with great success. I control my lights, filters and powerheads. You can create schedules and routines and have them integrated with Alexa. For example: "Alexa, feeding time" will shut off all powerheads and wavemakers.

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use them to control my the T5's from my hybrid fixture. They work really great IMO easy to setup create a schedule and control with your phone, and there tiny.

OP
OP
Cornerboy

Cornerboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Cornerboy

Cornerboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used smart outlets in my freshwater application with great success. I control my lights, filters and powerheads. You can create schedules and routines and have them integrated with Alexa. For example: "Alexa, feeding time" will shut off all powerheads and wavemakers.

You can create schedules too?!?! That's cool!! How do you do it Reelss?

OP
OP
Cornerboy

Cornerboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use them to control my the T5's from my hybrid fixture. They work really great IMO easy to setup create a schedule and control with your phone, and there tiny.

So there is an app for your phone i guess, is that right Finhead? Simple on/off scheduling i'm assuming. This is exciting. Thanks!!

reelss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can create schedules too?!?! That's cool!! How do you do it Reelss?

I have smartthings for home automation. It comes with lots of apps that can be used for scheduling your smart devices. For example, on my freshwater set up, the powerheads run between 7 AM and 7 PM for 20 minutes every hour.

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want controllable outlets without the expense of a controller, I suggest looking at SmartThings, or similar, smart home options. Allows more possibilities.

Fishguywc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some generic ones on Amazon to turn on/off my two t5 channels. I've used them now over a year and they have worked really well. The "App" is UCSmart Home and has basic on/off and timers where you can set as many points as you'd like. It only works on a 2.4ghz network (my router has a 2.4 and 5g channel) so you have to be on that network to connect with the controllers. Over the year the only issue has been a couple times they dropped off the network and they had to be re-paired and re-programmed and a couple times they didn't switch so i had to do it manually. I'm thinking about getting a few more and i've recently seen wi-fi power strips with multiple connected outlets so i may give that a try. For a controller on the cheap I think they work great.

OP
OP
Cornerboy

Cornerboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have smartthings for home automation. It comes with lots of apps that can be used for scheduling your smart devices. For example, on my freshwater set up, the powerheads run between 7 AM and 7 PM for 20 minutes every hour.
That's cool!!

OP
OP
Cornerboy

Cornerboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want controllable outlets without the expense of a controller, I suggest looking at SmartThings, or similar, smart home options. Allows more possibilities.

That is exactly what im thinking... I'll take a look for sure!! Thanks!!

OP
OP
Cornerboy

Cornerboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some generic ones on Amazon to turn on/off my two t5 channels. I've used them now over a year and they have worked really well. The "App" is UCSmart Home and has basic on/off and timers where you can set as many points as you'd like. It only works on a 2.4ghz network (my router has a 2.4 and 5g channel) so you have to be on that network to connect with the controllers. Over the year the only issue has been a couple times they dropped off the network and they had to be re-paired and re-programmed and a couple times they didn't switch so i had to do it manually. I'm thinking about getting a few more and i've recently seen wi-fi power strips with multiple connected outlets so i may give that a try. For a controller on the cheap I think they work great.
Thanks for the info!! A power strip would be really cool :)

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never rely on them for a heater. I have a wemo and when it did a firmware update it defaulted off. If the power goes off and back on it defaults to off. Just not enough trust in it.

Fishguywc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if you could use this as a wave maker for powerheads?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back