Removing an aquarium rim

  • Thread starter Thread starter srobertb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

srobertb

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 16, 2021
Messages
995
Reaction score
1,032
Location
SE Texas
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to sink a 20g (or 15g) aquarium inside a stock tank to use as a return pump chamber. In my mind, I can remove the top bracing to make it easier to put in an LLS sensor (among other things).

This shouldn’t be an issue in regards to the tanks integrity because it will have pretty much equal pressure on the sides since it’s sunk in water.

correct?

Also, if anyone can find a water safe 12x20x20+ container that could replace the aquarium, I’d appreciate it.
 
Shouldn't be a problem imo.

But wouldn't it be a lot easier, cheaper and cleaner to simply buy an already cut glass and glue it in with silicon?
This size of glass is usually scrap for shops, I'm sure that if you'll ask nicely they will gladly sell it for a low price.
If you worried about the gluing process, then it doesn't even has to be perfectly sealed, although it shouldn't be difficult to do properly either. Just make sure you use reef safe silicon which you can get from Amazon or a nearby hardware store.
 
I want to sink a 20g (or 15g) aquarium inside a stock tank to use as a return pump chamber. In my mind, I can remove the top bracing to make it easier to put in an LLS sensor (among other things).

This shouldn’t be an issue in regards to the tanks integrity because it will have pretty much equal pressure on the sides since it’s sunk in water.

correct?

Also, if anyone can find a water safe 12x20x20+ container that could replace the aquarium, I’d appreciate it.
Not completely sure of your plan here but I’ve seen a number of folks build their own sumps by adding glass or plexiglass dividers inside a tank.
 
I want to sink a 20g (or 15g) aquarium inside a stock tank to use as a return pump chamber. In my mind, I can remove the top bracing to make it easier to put in an LLS sensor (among other things).

This shouldn’t be an issue in regards to the tanks integrity because it will have pretty much equal pressure on the sides since it’s sunk in water.

correct?

Also, if anyone can find a water safe 12x20x20+ container that could replace the aquarium, I’d appreciate it.
if its inside the stock tank I dont see any issues removing the rim. I know removing the rim will reduce the structural integrity, but given it is inside the stock tank, I dont see an issue
 
Not completely sure of your plan here but I’ve seen a number of folks build their own sumps by adding glass or plexiglass dividers inside a tank.
Too difficult in a stock tank to glue in baffles like an aquarium is. I’m currently looking at garbage cans to sink but it isn’t exactly a “cheaper” option.
 
Shouldn't be a problem imo.

But wouldn't it be a lot easier, cheaper and cleaner to simply buy an already cut glass and glue it in with silicon?
This size of glass is usually scrap for shops, I'm sure that if you'll ask nicely they will gladly sell it for a low price.
If you worried about the gluing process, then it doesn't even has to be perfectly sealed, although it shouldn't be difficult to do properly either. Just make sure you use reef safe silicon which you can get from Amazon or a nearby hardware store.
I’ve made a few acrylic frag tanks so I was going to go that route. I need a weir (sp?) wall and I’m not sure how to cut the glass for that. Alternatively I could just make one side a bit shorter. I wouldn’t ever make a custom display but I think I can probably manage a silicone job. Just need to find the easiest/cheapest route for me.
 
I’ve made a few acrylic frag tanks so I was going to go that route. I need a weir (sp?) wall and I’m not sure how to cut the glass for that. Alternatively I could just make one side a bit shorter. I wouldn’t ever make a custom display but I think I can probably manage a silicone job. Just need to find the easiest/cheapest route for me.
No need for a weir, shorter baffle would be enough and is what determine the water level.
I believe this would be the cheapest path, call a few local places that deal with glass and check if they are willing sell a small, already cut piece for you, I'm sure they will.

You also might wanna check how people glue baffled on YouTube, it's pretty straight forward, really.
 
No need for a weir, shorter baffle would be enough and is what determine the water level.
I believe this would be the cheapest path, call a few local places that deal with glass and check if they are willing sell a small, already cut piece for you, I'm sure they will.

You also might wanna check how people glue baffled on YouTube, it's pretty straight forward, really.
I’ve made my own sump using a 20g or a 40g but the sides and material of the stock tank looks like it would be a PITA.

I have a quote out for a piece of plastic with holes for bulkheads I plan on using to make a DIY Geo’s reef-style sock holder for stock tanks. I’ve also asked them to quote on making this little box for me.

Right now I’m looking at $100 online for black acrylic shipped to me but I have to build it.

Going to try for a glass quote next. (I’ll build it).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new