Removing xenia, killed my goby? How to proceed?

Petrichor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed some rock from my Fluval Evo 13.5 to scrape off some pulsing xenia and then three days later my hectors' goby is dead. Did I do something wrong that contributed to his death, or was it just a fluke?

Here's how it went: I removed the xenia with a razor blade, rinsed the rock off with tank water into a separate container (tossed that water), then added the rock back to the main tank and did a small water change. I have about 25+ lbs of live rock and rubble and run charcoal with my usual set up, and aside from salinity being high at 1.030 everything was within their normal parameters. The goby was fine for a day, then started hiding in his sleep cave, and then two days later he declined rapidly and died. My one other fish, a mocha clown, seemed fine throughout.

This was the second rock I removed to scrape off xenia over a week or so, and the first time was uneventful. I'm hesitant to remove the rest of the xenia now in case I did something wrong. I can't just toss the liverock it's on as it has other coral I'd like to keep, and I hesitate at using chemicals in a nano tank.

Is there a better way at removing xenia in a small tank? Did I just have bad luck with my goby?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the 2 are related.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back