OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup a couple quarantine tanks. I have 3 captive bred yellow tangs, a powder blue tang and a powder brown tang arriving tomorrow. I wanted to get them now and get them through QT so that I can add them to the big display tank at the same time I add all the other tangs from my other tanks.

fYbZSGBh.jpg

Oakxlpgh.jpg

LZs0h7oh.jpg

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new fish seem to be doing well. They are all cute tiny babies!

The Powder Blue and Powder Brown don't seem to be trying to get at each other and fight, so that is good. They are also both eating.

FC21BSOh.jpg

I decided to put the yellow tangs into the new display tank. They looked good, they are captive bred, came from the Live Aquaria/Diver's Den facility in Wisconsin which I have a lot of respect and confidence on the health of their fish. Plus, there really isn't much in the display tank right now anyway.

The yellows schooled right up and are eating very well.

HD2w6Dih.jpg

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished the closed loop on the frag tank:

NlS95Wuh.jpg

XbTqbvih.jpg

Started work on wire management. It will be an emphasis this time around as things got pretty out of hand on my last tank. Having the light power supplies up in the canopy has made a big difference. This cabinet will hold the battery backups, power supplies and be the Alkatronic and Apex headquarters.

e51O5hkh.jpg

RAxxKSbh.jpg

Oh, the old system is still up and running as well

BmG4AEyh.jpg

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I take a quick break and you've setup a whole new system. I'm betting that was/is nerve wracking! Everything is looking fantastic, I gotta say, I was not impressed with what was happening on the bottom, but your rockwork did a fantastic job and covering everything up. You've glowed up the entire room, and your tank, that's very exciting. I'm pleased to continue watching the new tanks grow!

Now, inquiring minds want to know, have you gotten a second wife yet?

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I take a quick break and you've setup a whole new system. I'm betting that was/is nerve wracking! Everything is looking fantastic, I gotta say, I was not impressed with what was happening on the bottom, but your rockwork did a fantastic job and covering everything up. You've glowed up the entire room, and your tank, that's very exciting. I'm pleased to continue watching the new tanks grow!

Now, inquiring minds want to know, have you gotten a second wife yet?

I am not sure I would say it is nerve wracking, but it is a lot of work! I have always said I only ever wanted to run 1 system, two tanks plumbed together is fine, but running multiple independent systems seemed like a bit much for me.....and it is, lol. I have the new system, the old system and two QT tanks to keep an eye on right now, while still tweaking, building out the new system. I very much look forward to getting back down to 1 system.

With all these tanks, I don't have time for a second wife right now, lol!!

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple days ago I added a large old-timer yellow tang, that lost its top and bottom fins to an infection many years ago, to the large display tank. He had been in my frag tank. It took no time at all for him to school up with the youngins!

YYWGaDqh.jpg

WILoErTh.jpg

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I released the Powder Brown and the Powder Blue from their quarantine tanks. I was a bit worried about the Powder Blue because he seemed like he wanted to fight a bit through the quarantine tank glass.

The introduction went well and they pretty much swim around with the yellows. There is some minor fluttering between various tangs as they sort things out but not prolonged hostilities.

rjJa9xgh.jpg

crG2WMoh.jpg

gfzWsTXh.jpg

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I continue to work on wire management. It is light years better then my previous tank.

Old Tank, not much room, lot of wires, basically a death trap:

RVBn7r2h.jpg

New tank, much more room, much cleaner wire organization:

9kqnPp7h.jpg

E0wV8pEh.jpg

9IvakdWh.jpg

WSq30mZh.jpg

99eHuTQh.jpg

and a great place to hide from the wife and kids.......

2kNaKMLh.jpg

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to raise the lights even higher so I got a couple powder coated aluminum rails that the Atlantiks are able to slide right into. The height helps get a more uniform coverage and really gives the lights a more clean look.

hUMp6ABh.jpg

xKqCEdVh.jpg

zjbJb7uh.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back