OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Busy day, lots of progress. Got 99% of the plumbing done. The only thing remaining is finishing the closed loop on the frag tank but it is plumbed to the closed loop ball valves so I can shut them and the tank is water tight.

I am filling up the tank! The display is almost full, then I need 90 gallons for the sump, 110 gallons for the frag tank and another 30 gallons (I am guessing) to fill all the pipes, lol.

pNC1qZVh.jpg

DFKtoY5h.jpg

1fwQowth.jpg

sCyD9u9h.jpg

RhBpmGzh.jpg

T7XyvCIh.jpg

H1PUByBh.jpg

kaDDpXIh.jpg

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump is getting close to full. I have another 50 gallons in the freshwater holding tank, just about ready to fire up the display tank return!

VdF6HjPh.jpg

I just added a couple ball valves so I am going to give those some time to dry. Hoping to fire it up at 5!

uHhoKsth.jpg

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 5pm return pump test revealed 2 issues. One......On one of the returns I dripped glue into a gate valve and sealed it shut!! Fortunatly, the other two on the return pump distribution work fine and I can run the system until a new gate arrives.

I also missed gluing one connection, thankfully I just got new tile flooring!!!

McivmYrh.jpg

JeKKDSDh.jpg

I will give the return test another go in an hour or so.

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of two return pumps are running. The return pump running feeds 3 of the 4 returns to the display tank. The second return pump will feed 1 of the display tank returns and the 2 returns of the frag tank. I do not have enough water to run the frag tank yet :)

All of the returns have VCA Random Flow Generators and so far I really like them, they really throw out the flow in a wide rang randomly.

Here is a quick video of the VCA Random Flow Generators, you can see how it break the surface when sending the flow up:

Here is the the system running. I am working on tuning the drains, drilling the locline for a siphon break and keeping the VCA Random Flow Generators low enough so the inductors are not sucking air into the water flow.

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the the frag tank connected and the second return pump online last night. There were some minor plumbing issues that will be easy fixes. It ran all night and is still running and seems good to go.

One issue that I knew would be a concern from the beginning was the potential for a sump overflow if both of the return pumps stopped. So, both return pumps will be on battery backups that should cover the time between the power outage and my automatic home generator kicking on. Additionally I drilled siphon breaks in the locline on the returns near the surface of the water. Finally, I am considering adding check valves on the return lines, i know you need to clean them up from time to time to keep then working.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, you're in the home stretch... Love the aquascape :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Wspangler build these hanging canopies for me, I picked them up today and painted them. They will hand down about 4 inches from the ceiling and then the lights will hang from them.

They have a 4 inch rim around them so that I can put all the power supplies up in them and out of sight. The canopy is upside down as I just painted it. When mounted the painted side will face down.

qd4GtmT.jpg

OxEf7VQ.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back