OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 years ago when I got my last tank and my mermaid was a guppy, and the little shrimp was 2 months away from being born:

TsaPgSWh.jpg

and Today:

wQOV2fzh.jpg

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using these strainers on the closed loop drains to try and keep fish and other critters from getting sucked down. I am stuffing them with this course mesh and using zip ties to keep the mesh from getting sucked into the pump. We will see how that goes.

K5fLAQSh.jpg

4PG1IEah.jpg

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using these strainers on the closed loop drains to try and keep fish and other critters from getting sucked down. I am stuffing them with this course mesh and using zip ties to keep the mesh from getting sucked into the pump. We will see how that goes.

K5fLAQSh.jpg

4PG1IEah.jpg
You'll have to make sure they're easy to clean as I can see them getting clogged pretty easily and that would be a disaster

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have to make sure they're easy to clean as I can see them getting clogged pretty easily and that would be a disaster

I planned on making them easy to clean. They are threaded on loosely so I unscrew them easily, cut the ties and clean/replace the mesh, the use new zip ties. The rockscape was made to leave easy access to the strainers.

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that big ones quite a tank, very nice. Can't imagine how long it takes to fill from a 1/4" tube.

I will let you know how long it takes to fill the whole system, lol. Probably going to be around 600ish gallons of water.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VCA Random Flow Generators will be on the returns. They are nice in that they have no moving parts.

oUCxQS6h.jpg

IkPHOjgh.jpg

I had enough water to get the closed loops running. Still playing with the settings but I kind of like the closed loop gyre option at the moment.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back