Repairing acrylic sump

esimplx

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 3, 2024
Messages
4
Reaction score
3
Location
Michigan
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old 120 I was going to use as a sump in the basement. As you can see there is damage where a previous owner removed baffles and left cracks and gouges out of the acrylic. I was going to patch all these with weld on and 1/4" acrylic before adding my own baffles back in, but I wanted a second opinion. Is this tank a lost cause, or should nice large patches do the trick? 20240703_124224.jpg 20240703_124242.jpg 20240703_124246.jpg
 
Hard to say.. the acrylic is so aged how well a solvent or glue such as 40-42 would hold up. I mean if you wanted to give a shot I would get some Weldon 40 and acrylic patches and laminate them inside. It won’t be pretty but since it’s on the bottom you might get away with it but I wouldn’t guarantee it. I could see it being waste of time honestly.
 
Hard to say.. the acrylic is so aged how well a solvent or glue such as 40-42 would hold up. I mean if you wanted to give a shot I would get some Weldon 40 and acrylic patches and laminate them inside. It won’t be pretty but since it’s on the bottom you might get away with it but I wouldn’t guarantee it. I could see it being waste of time honestly.
Thanks for the advice. I'll start looking for other options for a sump. Space isn't a concern so I might do Rubbermaid or something similar.
 
Good Lord, if you're using a 120g for a sump how big is your DT?!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 6 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new