Repairing an acrylic tank

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need your help & advice. I’m looking at this monster tank, measuring 10’ x 5’ x 3’. However, it is damaged in the corner. It appears that someone was trying to prove that it was bulletproof and shot it? Anyway, the front panel is 1.5” and the left panel is 1.75” (yes, very thick acrylic). The deepest part of the damage area is possibly 0.5”. It’s a big tank — 1100 gallon and I’m concerned about the integrity of it holding water at that size.

Questions: can it be repaired? If so, how?

Thanks

IMG_4313.jpeg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not need repairing if that's all teh damage. I'd take several good, clear close up pics, fill it up and take some more pics and compare to see if there's any change in apperance of the cracks. You could fill it using weldon #40 or #42 but you'll need to rotate it and tape if off as they are the consitancy of 90 wieght gear oil. Weldon has the ech manual for using them.

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not need repairing if that's all teh damage. I'd take several good, clear close up pics, fill it up and take some more pics and compare to see if there's any change in apperance of the cracks. You could fill it using weldon #40 or #42 but you'll need to rotate it and tape if off as they are the consitancy of 90 wieght gear oil. Weldon has the ech manual for using them.
Thank you. I have not purchased the tank yet so just inquiring to see if I should even proceed. It’s a large purchase so taking a risk here.

Rotating it would be a challenge — VERY heavy and would take many strong men! Actually, I have to rotate it anyway to get it inside the house. Logistically, I can put it on its side to put the weldon and let things cure.

It would be a dream tank build for me! I understand that it’s just the beginning of a long journey if I ever can convince my wife to lug that baby home. Lighting and flow will cost a fortune! I have enough rock and other equipment though…

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! A hydralic lift cart might help. You can figure the wieght by calculating the square footage of the acrylic then muliplying by wiehgt per square foot. 1.5" acrylic is 8.64 lbs per sq ft. 1.75" acrylic is 10.09 lbs per sq ft.

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! A hydralic lift cart might help. You can figure the wieght by calculating the square footage of the acrylic then muliplying by wiehgt per square foot. 1.5" acrylic is 8.64 lbs per sq ft. 1.75" acrylic is 10.09 lbs per sq ft.
Cool, good info & advice. My Excel said that it's around 1500lbs - yikes! Let me get past the wife's budget approval first, lug it home, and then worry about the fix. The rest of the adventure will come later...I'm trying to control my excitement.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chip in the picture doesn't look very bad to me and it seems like it could be a really good deal. But you have to cosnider it is a used tank with some damage, I woudl really like to see it full of water and take a close look at teh chipped area first to be sure there's no changes under stress.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 21 16.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 87 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back