Replacement wet side grease?

Tom@HaslettMI

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 18, 2011
Messages
483
Reaction score
95
Location
Michigan
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,

I just purchased a replacement wet side for my MP10 and noticed there is a lot of clear grease at the base of the impellor shaft. Is this normal, and safe for my reef tank?

Thanks,
Tom
 
Hello,

I just purchased a replacement wet side for my MP10 and noticed there is a lot of clear grease at the base of the impellor shaft. Is this normal, and safe for my reef tank?

Thanks,
Tom
Yes normal. I believe they put it there to help with the break in process. It is safe for your tank tho. All of my MP40s and MP10s came with that grease and after the first 6 months it was gone. I clean my vortechs every 6 months and nowhere in the manual does it say about greasing after.
 
As above it's reef safe. I'm sure I have the info somewhere of the type used...
 
Hello,

I just purchased a replacement wet side for my MP10 and noticed there is a lot of clear grease at the base of the impellor shaft. Is this normal, and safe for my reef tank?

Thanks,
Tom

I had asked this question a while ago to ecotech and this is the reply I received.

"Any silicone grease that we use probably would have gone away during the operation in your aquarium. We use a very specific silicone grease in our units to assist with the break in period. It is not necessary for long term use and we use it as a temporary lubrication. The silicone grease that we use is reef safe and it is actually used in brain surgery."
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 5 20.8%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 4 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new