Replacement wet side grease?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tom@HaslettMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I just purchased a replacement wet side for my MP10 and noticed there is a lot of clear grease at the base of the impellor shaft. Is this normal, and safe for my reef tank?

Thanks,
Tom

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I just purchased a replacement wet side for my MP10 and noticed there is a lot of clear grease at the base of the impellor shaft. Is this normal, and safe for my reef tank?

Thanks,
Tom
Yes normal. I believe they put it there to help with the break in process. It is safe for your tank tho. All of my MP40s and MP10s came with that grease and after the first 6 months it was gone. I clean my vortechs every 6 months and nowhere in the manual does it say about greasing after.

sn2per

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above it's reef safe. I'm sure I have the info somewhere of the type used...

nc208082

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Thanks,
Tom

I had asked this question a while ago to ecotech and this is the reply I received.

"Any silicone grease that we use probably would have gone away during the operation in your aquarium. We use a very specific silicone grease in our units to assist with the break in period. It is not necessary for long term use and we use it as a temporary lubrication. The silicone grease that we use is reef safe and it is actually used in brain surgery."

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 74 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back