Replacing a lost clownfish

DelRayTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I woke up to a dried oscellaris clownfish on my floor next to the tank. Shame on me for not having gotten a lid out of aesthetic concerns... I just ordered a lid to be delivered tomorrow....

This clown was one of the two first fish I got for this build. I picked him up together with another oscellaris about 4 months ago. The pair appeared to have bonded with one (the still living fish) clearly growing larger and more dominant and the late fish hanging around the female all day.

I would really like to replace this little guy to ensure I have a pair of clowns in the tank. Can I just add a new juvenile? I was thinking of replacing him with a gladiator or Picasso variation. Would that cause any issues? Should I stick to a standard Oscellaris?
I’m kicking myself over the loss of this little guy and want to minimize the stress to the tank...

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m sorry for your loss - I’ve been there and know that it is beyond frustrating. Although nothing is guaranteed, adding a juvenile is a reasonable next step. Any oscellaris (designer or standard) should be okay. Good luck!

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of Flurry clowns, and the smaller one jumped.... clearly picked on by the larger though. I was planning on doing a midnight OC with her, and had been waiting for her to get much larger for a bigger parity in size, so I think your plan should work, or at least has the potential to work..... clowns do what they want in the end.

I have since scrapped the idea of adding another clown, so if you’re in the Ne Ohio area, you can have the flurry for free. still quite small

OP
OP
DelRayTank

DelRayTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry for your loss - I’ve been there and know that it is beyond frustrating. Although nothing is guaranteed, adding a juvenile is a reasonable next step. Any oscellaris (designer or standard) should be okay. Good luck!

thank you! I’m going to go that route. Hopefully this works out as the pair was my daughter’s fa

I had a pair of Flurry clowns, and the smaller one jumped.... clearly picked on by the larger though. I was planning on doing a midnight OC with her, and had been waiting for her to get much larger for a bigger parity in size, so I think your plan should work, or at least has the potential to work..... clowns do what they want in the end.

I have since scrapped the idea of adding another clown, so if you’re in the Ne Ohio area, you can have the flurry for free. still quite small

It sucks to have a jumper... I really appreciate the offer but unfortunately I’m in northern Virginia. I thought about not replacing the clown but I have a BTA that the pair was hosting, that looks quite nice. They were also my 5 year old daughter’s choice for the tank so I have to keep her happy!

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully the new introduction will work like a charm for you. My female Oscellaris beat her mate/brother to death.A few months later, (when I forgave her ) I got her a new friend.He's a smaller bodied mocha Davinci ,she is black variety.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I woke up to a dried oscellaris clownfish on my floor next to the tank. Shame on me for not having gotten a lid out of aesthetic concerns... I just ordered a lid to be delivered tomorrow....

This clown was one of the two first fish I got for this build. I picked him up together with another oscellaris about 4 months ago. The pair appeared to have bonded with one (the still living fish) clearly growing larger and more dominant and the late fish hanging around the female all day.

I would really like to replace this little guy to ensure I have a pair of clowns in the tank. Can I just add a new juvenile? I was thinking of replacing him with a gladiator or Picasso variation. Would that cause any issues? Should I stick to a standard Oscellaris?
I’m kicking myself over the loss of this little guy and want to minimize the stress to the tank...
I just had my female clown jump out yesterday to wake up to a dead fish she was my first sw fish also looking to replace her but lot of online stores seem to be all sold out of clowns right now well at least the fancy ones

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back