Replacing a panel on a large rimless tank

ether

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a used 5x2x3 tank that has a panel with a chip in the corner (front panel, 22in x 60in). Previous owner said the tank ran fine for a couple years as is, and it doesn't look too bad.

First, should I replace or leave as is?

Second, I can't find anyone in the Denver area who would do this so I would need to do it myself. I'm reasonably handy and can find some help, but I'm wondering how tough this would be.

thoughts?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Previous owner said the tank ran fine for a couple years as is, and it doesn't look too bad.

First, should I replace or leave as is?

This is only a question you can decide.

Like Mjrenz says
It will be tough, you will need to completely disassemble the tank to do it correctly

OP
OP
E

ether

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is only a question you can decide.

Like Mjrenz says
Why is this? I'm wondering what others would do based on their experience? Pictures below.

IMG_20190419_080641.jpg

IMG_20190419_080647.jpg

IMG_20190419_080652.jpg

OP
OP
E

ether

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would replace
So the next question is how tough is that and do I really need to rip apart the entire tank or can I just replace the front panel? What is the risk of rupture?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that I can't answer. Ive never had to do it .

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the next question is how tough is that and do I really need to rip apart the entire tank or can I just replace the front panel? What is the risk of rupture?
I'm with @lapin
Complete teardown and reassemble. By only doing one panel you could potentially expose another panel with a weak seal, and you'll be right back to square one anyway. Not worth the risk IMO.

Showcasegars

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd completely rip this apart clean all the panes and take my time to reseal correctly shouldn't be to hard just know patience is your best friend when it comes to this!

OP
OP
E

ether

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lapin @Showcasegars
Have either of you done this before? Is there a significant risk of the whole thing failing later? What is the advantage to ripping the whole tank apart vs taking off and replacing on pane? I'm concerned that if I take the whole thing apart it will be tough to put it back together square. I don't really have any way to hold these square while they dry. Just one pane can sit on top of the others, so that's easier. Is there anyone in Colorado who has experience with doing this who can do the work?

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much help but a word of caution.

Your in a catch 22. If you don't repair you risk failure. If you do, and have a defect in the repair, you risk failure. Having tried this many years ago (freshwater) I can personally say if it is not done right it can fail many months later. It will likely be during the night, when you are not home with a crack, then a trickle, then a pour. Ask me how I know (it cost big bucks to repair the wood floors. It cost far more than the tank new). I saved some of the fish however because the crack was high up. (I could only imagine if I had hundreds in marine fish and corals).

So 66% chance of failure. If you don't care about loss DIY is a fun thing to try.

Are there any local fish stores in your area ? Perhaps they would know of a person who can repair it. local reef club would be another source.

Again I apologize for chiming in and not offering any help.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lapin @Showcasegars
Have either of you done this before? Is there a significant risk of the whole thing failing later? What is the advantage to ripping the whole tank apart vs taking off and replacing on pane? ?
Yes I have rebuilt tanks, when I had more time and energy.
Here is your problem. Replacing 1 panel would be fine if it did not have to hold water. Fresh wet silicone will not stick to dry (cured) silicone. In the bottom corner where 3 panels meet, 2 of them will be siliconed together. Lets say 1 side and the bottom panel. When you put your 3rd panel (front) on you will have a spot at the bottom corner where the old meets new. This is a weak spot and will leak and separate with pressure over time.
This is why the whole thing needs to be taken apart and cleaned spotless then re-siliconed.
There is not reason a person can not take a tank apart and redo it. People built the thing, so we know it can be done. It takes some skill and patience. There are no shortcuts I know of. Proper tools, jigs and silicone are your best friends.
Special note:
At this site at about 2:45 into the video you will see how the edges are prepped before siliconing.
https://www.customaquariums.com/advanced-engineering.html. (how aquariums are made)
Not all glass edges have been done this way. If your old chipped tank has uneven sharp edges it will be harder to get the old silicone off .

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't trust that at all.

Check the first few pages of my build thread. It's not hard to do. Just time consuming.

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have rebuilt tanks, when I had more time and energy.
Here is your problem. Replacing 1 panel would be fine if it did not have to hold water. Fresh wet silicone will not stick to dry (cured) silicone. In the bottom corner where 3 panels meet, 2 of them will be siliconed together. Lets say 1 side and the bottom panel. When you put your 3rd panel (front) on you will have a spot at the bottom corner where the old meets new. This is a weak spot and will leak and separate with pressure over time.

Well that explains what happened to mine years ago ;). I had the added joy of the glass cracking mid way up before it all went to heck. I always thought I missed a piece of something that caused stress on the glass. Your explanation explains it sooo much better.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
There is no doubt in my mind that this would need a replacement.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like there are TWO panels chipped.

Replacing a glass panel is not difficult. You have to be patient and not rush the repair. Surface preparation is the key.

I use a piece of piano string and floss between the two panes of glass that need separation to break the silicon seal. Then scrape the glass clean with denatured alcohol and a razor.

Who manufactured the tank?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back