Replacing Ballasts on a Quad T5 Odyssea?

Connorology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I have a 36" quad t5HO fixture from Odyssea - it has worked well for about three years, but yesterday two of the lights started flickering. My understanding is that this indicates a ballast is going out (the pairs are on separate switches). Is replacing a failing ballast something that is reasonable to do, or is my fixture effectively totaled?

Full disclosure - I am not actually a reef tank person, I keep reptiles and this fixture is for my chameleon. Commercially available equipment made for reptiles and chameleons tends to be sort of crummy IMO so I repurpose general-use equipment or equipment from the aquarium hobby. Which usually works well, but means I have no leads on DIY hacks or where to get replacement parts since I don't really exist in the aquarist ecosystem. This fixture is worth some time and effort to repair if possible because it has cooling fans which promote airflow into my vivarium, and has an integrated timer that turns the paired tubes on and off separately so I can change UVB output depending on the time of day.

I figured no harm in asking around to see if I can avoid throwing more junk into the landfills. If anyone has suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

-Connor

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I have a 36" quad t5HO fixture from Odyssea - it has worked well for about three years, but yesterday two of the lights started flickering. My understanding is that this indicates a ballast is going out (the pairs are on separate switches). Is replacing a failing ballast something that is reasonable to do, or is my fixture effectively totaled?

Full disclosure - I am not actually a reef tank person, I keep reptiles and this fixture is for my chameleon. Commercially available equipment made for reptiles and chameleons tends to be sort of crummy IMO so I repurpose general-use equipment or equipment from the aquarium hobby. Which usually works well, but means I have no leads on DIY hacks or where to get replacement parts since I don't really exist in the aquarist ecosystem. This fixture is worth some time and effort to repair if possible because it has cooling fans which promote airflow into my vivarium, and has an integrated timer that turns the paired tubes on and off separately so I can change UVB output depending on the time of day.

I figured no harm in asking around to see if I can avoid throwing more junk into the landfills. If anyone has suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

-Connor
Flickering can mean bad bulbs too. Swap out the other set and see if it's ballast or bulb.
Replacing ballasts is relatively easy but requires some electrical knowledge and or experience.
Sometimes disassembly is the worst part. Which you will probably need to do.
you will need to figure out whats inside to match..
Example of a ballast:
Unlike above this model has an external ballast:

topdogsellers on ebay can probably help you out..
Teardown..there are err errors in it though.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back