Replacing burnt LEDs in AI Prime

PapaReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody had experience with replacing burnt LEDs on AI Prime HD (the one with 13 LEDs)?

I have two fixtures in need of repair and trying to figure out exact specs for diodes I need to buy.

So far only information I was able to get is this:
The AI Prime® HD utilizes the latest LED technology from leading manufacturers, arranged to provide the best performance.
  • 3 - Cree XP-G2 Cool White (> 70 CRI)
  • 3 - Cree XT-E Royal Blue
  • 3 - Cree XP-E2 Blue
  • 1 - Cree Deep Red 660nm
  • 1 - Cree XP-E2 Green
  • 1 - SemiLED 415nm
  • 1 - SemiLED 400nm

Now question is how to translate this info into actual products from Mouser or Digikey...

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bet the LEDs aren't burned. It's probably just the plastic lens. Is it the UV and blue? Those always melt the plastic lens because people always run them at max or above.

You can get replacement lenses from AI for $7 each, it is four torx screws and 5 minutes to replace each one. I just did two of them yesterday.

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am assuming the AI Prime uses an LED array all on the same PCB. If that's the case, then you'd have to know how to replace surface mount components using reflow soldering.

soeminpaing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can desolder and resolder LED by placing the led chip on the pan and heat it on stove. Use a tweezer and try to find the correct led.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now question is how to translate this info into actual products from Mouser or Digikey...
Some of these are easier than others, but generally speaking something very very similar can be found in the datasheet. For example, the "Cree Deep Red 660nm" is most likely "photo red XPEBPR-L1-0000-00C01" based on the available specs.

I have done similar matching in the past with the LEDs in radions with some very good results.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back