Replacing Reeflo Dart with DC return pump

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have been asking questions about it and doing research on AC vs DC pumps for some time now on the forum. I have received good feedback, but not everything I was looking for. So I thought I would start my own thread and share my experience I’m about to endeavor

Well I have been running a Dart/Snapper for years and I have a Super Dart/Snapper Gold as my backup. I always keep 2 pumps for the just in case scenario. Well the seals finally needed replaced after several years and I put my backup into action.

Well the Super Dart/Snapper Gold is a little bigger that the Dart Hybrid. Just big enough where the rear end of the pump touches my drip pan and causes a vibration sound on top of the hum of the motor. Well while listening to this for several weeks (tank in the living room). I have had it (basically the wife has) and I’m too lazy to trade the pumps out after changing seals.

So I decided this was big enough excuse to get the pockets opened for some dc silent pumps. The 2 AC pumps that I have are listed below. They are great pumps, and as you can see they do not consume much power. Specs are below.

Dart/Snapper Hybrid

• Flow: 3600 GPH
  • Max head Pressure: 12 feet
  • Power Consumption: 105 Watts
  • Outlet: 1.5"
  • Input: 2”
Super Dart/Snapper Gold

• Flow: 4300 GPH
  • Max head Pressure: 12 feet
  • Power Consumption: 147 Watts
  • Outlet: 1.5"
  • Input: 2”
The only reason to change these out is purely for noise factor. At least I got to run the backup for a couple weeks. LOL

Well from my research I decided to get the Red Dragon 3 100watt pump. At the beginning of black Friday it was not on sale. So I decided to get some other pumps (impatient). I decided on the Aquamaxx VSB-1200 and the EcoTech Marine Vectra. The EcoTech didn’t go on sale, but the AquaMaxx had a super deal and I need 2 pumps. One for operation and one for backup and these 2 are similar in size and have the same inlet and outlet size. So here we go.

These are my 2 new pumps.
20181130_131936.jpg

As you can see the specs of the pumps are similar. My plans are to put one of them into duty this weekend and see how it does. Hopefully the new DC pumps can keep up and run the aquarium and reactors I currently have setup with no issues. I think I might put the AquaMaxx on line first and use the EcoTech as a backup. Not sure yet. Executive decision will be made tomorrow. I’m excited not to hear the hum anymore.

AquaMaxx Magnus(AKA Sunpole) VSB-12000 DC Pump

• Flow: 3170 GPH
  • Max head Pressure: 21 feet
  • Power Consumption: 150 Watts
  • Outlet: 1"
  • Input: 1.5”

EcoTech Marine Vectra L1 DC Pump

• Flow: 3100 GPH
  • Max head Pressure: 21.5 feet
  • Power Consumption: 130 Watts
  • Outlet: 1"
  • Input: 1.5”
These pumps are very similar in size as you can see below. So after I re plumb the return I will be able to swap these out with no issues. I"m also going to keep one of my darts as fail safe in case these pumps cause me an issue.
20181130_132210.jpg

The 2 choices I have made are way cheaper than getting 2 Red dragon 3’s so we shall see if I made a good decision or not. They went on sale 10% off after I purchased these, but oh well.

Will keep everyone posted.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the native input/output for the L1 are not as listed above. Product description is most annoying - it’s actually 2” on the input and 1 1/2” on the output. I found with my M1 that constraining it with the blue collar thingees significantly affect flow and I don’t use them anymore.

Last edited:

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
When I switched from a Dart/Snapper ( closed loop) I went with a Vectra L1.
I was so happy I did it.
The difference was amazing. At first I thought the L1 was defective. I hit the power button and nothing happened. At least I couldn't hear anything. But then I saw bubbles in the tank and saw the corals moving around. It was so quiet. Instant happiness.
As far as the plumbing, there is a optional pvc fitting you need to buy.
I never could find a USA supplier for it. ETM was the only place I could find.
It screws onto the BST on the pump and allows you to use 1-1/2" pvc.
If you use the smaller blue collar, you will NOT get the advertised flow rate.

I liked the L1 so much, I changed out my Eheim return pump for the Vectra M1.
Again great very quiet pump.

Fast forward a year and a half, I did end up switching out both my Vectras for Red Dragon pumps.
To replace the L1, I went with a RD3, 150 watt pump, and the M1 got switched out for a RD3, 80 watt pump.

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the reason for the switch from Vectra to Red Dragons?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
What was the reason for the switch from Vectra to Red Dragons?
Me?
I was one of the people who had issues with a earlier L1 versions and had been looking at Red Dragons for years.
The right set of circumstances lined up ( overtime $ and the right web page) and I jumped.

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you have a Reeflo Dart pump, you are most likely plumbed with 2” intake and 1.5” outlet. Indeed the pumps I have listed are not 2” intake and 1.5” outlets. They are as I listed above. I have shown the measurements of the plumbing of the the Ecotech below. It’s the same for the Magnus.

Ecotech Input/Output Measurements

Inlet

20181201_093901.jpg

Outlet
20181201_094141.jpg

In order to get your pumps ready for the 2” inlet and 1.5” outlet and to get the right performance out of the pump as people have referenced above. You will need to get the “ VECTRA S1/M1 SCH. 40 ADAPTER KIT” or go to your local plumbing store and get pieces. Shown below are the plumbing parts.

Adapter Kit
20181201_093548.jpg

This is how I have my dart plumbed to my system. See below. After taking out my Dart and placing the Ecotech in, I was unable to seamlessly change the pumps. This is due to the outlet on top of the pump being on the opposite side as my dart pump. If they were on the same side…..I would be done. Unfortunately this small change in the pumps design….means I will have to remove all plumbing and start all over again.
:(:(:(
20181201_094606.jpg

Guess I will take this back up again, after I draw up some new plumbing design and order the pieces. Off to the drawing board.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Local plumbing stores do not carry the adapter fittings with the same threads as the Vectras. That's why the need to go with ETM's expensive fittings.
The threads are British Stand threads.

This picture shows the L1 on the left, with the fitting from ETM going to 1-1/2" pvc and the blue collar on the suction side.

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WEll I finally got around to replacing the reeflo dart a couple weeks ago. I decided to start off with the vectra L1. The reason being ....is that the Vectra has the worst reputation of the 2 for longevity and reliability, so I figure its the best to see if its going to fail from the get go.

Once I plumbed in the vectra L1 with my schedule 80 plumbing parts that I ordered...all new valves etc. I plugged up the pump and water went everywhere. From inspection I found that one of my T's had a split in it. This was not good. I didn't have any more of the fancy valves and such that I ordered online so I had to go to home depot and Lowes and find all new Sched 40 plumbing parts. With the stock from the local home depot and Lowes and my backup parts. I was actually able to redue my plumbing all over again. The reason I had to start over and not just cut out the T was due to limited space under stand....which means all the fixtures were glued together with no space between them.

Anyway I have the pump all plugged up and working. If you have a reeflo dart and your switching to one of these new DC pumps. You will notice that the outlet on the DC pumps is on the opposite side than that of the dart. So in most applications, you will have to do some type of plumbing update to retrofit these in. See below.
20190117_121209.jpg

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to see how you like the pump. I love my dart. But am intrigued by some DC pumps too. The red dragon and abyzz to name a few....$$$$$$ :eek: but have heard many instances of people switching to the Vectra and getting nowhere near the flow output. Maybe that was the “blue collar” issue mentioned above.

Corey

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big difference in noise level isn't it.

Unbelievable! Pure silence.
I'm just glad the entire system in silent now. Once I put this pump in, I noticed one of the fans on one of my lights is making noise. Its driving me crazy now...LOL since everything else is completely silent. The fan is the next thing I need to fix now.

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Summary

I have had the Vectra l1 running for several weeks. When I first plumbed the Vectra up it was completely silent. You couldn’t hear it run at all. After running for several weeks it has a slight sound to it, but nothing compared to the Reeflo Dart. You have to get your ear down there to hear it. It is night and day between the 2. If you are looking for a pump that runs silent and will fulfill the needs of gph as your dart. Noneed to look any further. This is the pump for you.

My Setup

2” Inlet

1 ½” Outlet with 5 manifolds

1 ½” manifold to ½” for refugium

1 ½” manifold to ½” for uv sterilzer

1 ½” manifold to ½” for calcium reactor

1 ½” manifold to ½” for carbon reactor and GFO reactor

1 ½” manifold to ¾” for returns

Observations

My drains on aquarium are configured in Herbie format. The Vectra L1 has speed levels from 1 to 12. With almost identical setup in piping from Reeflo Dart to Vectra. I was able to set the pump at level 5 or 6 without making any mods to Herbie and having same flow in all my reactors , etc. This makes the Vectra L1 running about half power equaling what levels I was running on the reeflo dart. My pump placement is under the stand.

I ended up setting the Vecta pump to level 7 and opened up the Herbie to allow more drainage for the increased water flow through display. I’m really enjoying this new pump for noise level. I should have done this long time ago! Well maybe not due to these vectra’s failing allot when the first came out. LOL.

CONCLUSION

The Vectra L1 is more than capable to run a display and manifold by itself. With current setup its actually way stronger than the Reeflo Dart. I'm definitely very surprised! This was one of the main reasons I didn't switch long time ago. My aquarium is 255 gallons with 100 gallon sump and I’m only running the pump at level 7 of 12 and that’s running all my equipment. At this level its more than equal to the reeflo dart. I do not have any flow meters to give real numbers for comparison….but the herbie overflow speaks for itself. Its pretty basic for incoming vs outgoing flow.

So if you are running your aquarium in a living room or someone where you don’t want to hear that hum from a pump. Place this one in your cart for consideration. Its using less power than the dart which is hard to do and putting out more flow.

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to see how you like the pump. I love my dart. But am intrigued by some DC pumps too. The red dragon and abyzz to name a few....$$$$$$ :eek: but have heard many instances of people switching to the Vectra and getting nowhere near the flow output. Maybe that was the “blue collar” issue mentioned above.

Corey

See my Summary update

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Unbelievable! Pure silence.
I'm just glad the entire system in silent now. Once I put this pump in, I noticed one of the fans on one of my lights is making noise. Its driving me crazy now...LOL since everything else is completely silent. The fan is the next thing I need to fix now.
I thought the same.
Once I had the L1 installed and running, my next noise fix was the supposedly quiet Eheim 1262.
So out it went and put a Vectra M1 in its place.

I eventually replaced the Octo 5000 skimmer pump with a VarioS-6S pump too.

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on vectra L1.
Last week i came home to hear the vectra L1 making a very high squeal sound. I was utterly concerned and unplugged the pump and did an inspection. I didnt find any thing in pump or any issues. Upon placing the pump back on line it hasnt made that sound again so far and is running just like it was before. I will keep an eye on it.

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. It has been 6 months. I have not cleaned the Vectra L1 pump and its running strong. I'm now running the pump at 2/3 power. So far so good. The pump is still super quit. No noise what soever.
The Sunpool pump I have will go into service in about a month or so. I'm staring a 40 gallon frag tank with 20 gallon sump. The waterbox 60.3. The sunpool I have will be major over kill, but since the
vectra L1 and Sunpool share the same size plumbing. I will only have to stock one backup in the closet that will serve as backup for both return pumps. I"m going to purchase a Vectra L2 for backup closet duty.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice summary, thanks. I’m not able to use the L1/2 in my system because of the head pressures, but when I eventually go to a behind fish room rather than below, the L is likely to be my choice.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back