Replenish your RHF 2-part dosing liquids?

Lylelovett

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 5, 2018
Messages
439
Reaction score
224
What state or country do you live in
Arizona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's time to replenish my RHF 2-part solutions... I cook my new batch of baking soda, mix up the solution and am ready to refill my reservoirs. The new mixture is not going to be EXACTLY the same strength as my previous batch (human error, precision, etc) although it will be close. My previous methodology is to swap the jugs, bleed the lines (if needed) and then over the next three days take measurements of Alk/Calc and adjust my dose rate accordingly. At my dose rate I end up doing this every 2mos or so.

The rejiggering of the new dosage amount, which is sometimes frustrating, is a step I'd like to streamline.

I've considered just mixing up 5gal of each and then just refill from there as needed. That would more or less ensure my mixtures are the same for nearly a year.

What is your methodology/process to do this?
 
I would think your coral growth (alk/calc consumption) over a two month period is greater than the slight differences in precision/human error in mixing up a batch. I too am a RHF DIY doser and although I need to make slight adjustments to my dosing over time, I've always attributed this to coral growth. I also don't change out my dosing gallons from one batch to the next, but instead top off a dosing container when I note that it's getting low. This top off method would "dilute" slight differences in concentrations from batch to batch (if that makes sense).
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 15 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 21 28.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new