Replenish your RHF 2-part dosing liquids?

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's time to replenish my RHF 2-part solutions... I cook my new batch of baking soda, mix up the solution and am ready to refill my reservoirs. The new mixture is not going to be EXACTLY the same strength as my previous batch (human error, precision, etc) although it will be close. My previous methodology is to swap the jugs, bleed the lines (if needed) and then over the next three days take measurements of Alk/Calc and adjust my dose rate accordingly. At my dose rate I end up doing this every 2mos or so.

The rejiggering of the new dosage amount, which is sometimes frustrating, is a step I'd like to streamline.

I've considered just mixing up 5gal of each and then just refill from there as needed. That would more or less ensure my mixtures are the same for nearly a year.

What is your methodology/process to do this?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think your coral growth (alk/calc consumption) over a two month period is greater than the slight differences in precision/human error in mixing up a batch. I too am a RHF DIY doser and although I need to make slight adjustments to my dosing over time, I've always attributed this to coral growth. I also don't change out my dosing gallons from one batch to the next, but instead top off a dosing container when I note that it's getting low. This top off method would "dilute" slight differences in concentrations from batch to batch (if that makes sense).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back