research aquaria

cmanner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Brand new user here, and praying this gets some traction.

I'm embarking on a sort of ridiculous project that it seems like this forum is uniquely poised to help with. I am a PhD student at Duke University studying the functional genomics of how calcifying marine invertebrates (think corals, shellfish, sea urchins, et cetera) repsond to climate change - essentially what genes or genetic variants most impact how these animals respond to ocean acidification. There is already a great wealth of data out there on this subject, but so far, no one has really managed to establish causal relationships or dig into what the genes that turn on or turn off in response to acidic seawater are doing, or why they're doing it. A huge part of that is technological limitations, and developing the technologies to do that is a passion of mine. I use the developing sea urchin embryo as a model organism. These little guys are fascinating. They develop from a fertilized egg into a swimming larvae with a complete calcium skeleton in a matter of hours - so speedy!
One thing I am trying to do is a type of genetic screen where we use CRISPR to make a pool of urchin embryos where basically every embryo has a different change introduced into its genome. Then we put half of those embryos in conditions that very closely approximate today's oceans, and another half in conditions that approximate the oceans of the near future. After allowing them to develop, we figure out which ones did the best, and which ones did the worst (we measure their fitness under these conditions). That data can be used for all sorts of cool things, including informing conservation approaches designed to preserve coral reefs for future generations.

Heres my issue: everyone who works with these little critters tells me that these larvae can only be successfully raise at pretty low densities - around 1 larvae per mL of seawater. To actually do the screen, I need an absolutely massive number of embryos. We're talking about aquaculture setups on the scale of somewhere between 5000 and 100,000 liters. And because stewardship of taxpayer money for research is a high priority and because money dont grow on trees, I need to DIY these aquaria on the cheap. I'm thinking about borrowing an approach from the people trying to make lab-grown meat, and building something called a disposable bag bioreactor (DBB).

This is probably what you think it is: its a lot like a really fancy reef aquarium that got forced into a trash bag. My question to you all is this: if you had to take a really precious reef aquarium and exchange the actual tank for a trash bag, how would you do it?

I have some ideas and have been researching this for nearly a year, but after reading through posts here I am coming to realize that when it comes to managing complex aquaria, you all have vastly more expertise than I think I could ever hope to gain. I'm interested in hearing two things - responses to the seemingly silly but totally serious trash bag question above, and responses to some specific things I'm trying to work though that I'll list below.

Thank you all so much in advance. If you don't terribly mind, tag friends on here that you think might be interested in this problem - the more reach this can get the more successful I will likely be in my research.

Sincerely,

Carl

Specific issues I am maybe stumped by:

Automated control of pH - I plan to bubble CO2 through the bags and use a PID controller and solenoid to maintain pH. But this necessitates pH measurement. How can I measure the pH (and other parameters like temperature, alkalinity, nitrate levels, et cetera) of dozens of 125L cultures in sealed plastic bags without having to get dozens of pH meters? Are there other parameters I should be measuring - if it impacts the health of corals in your hands, it's probably important here.

Filtration rates - in small cultures I have to change the water every 2-3 days. In a big culture like this, thats really not doable. So I think I have to filter the water. When I filter urchins embryos, I have to be really careful about flow rates - if I pull too hard, they all get stuck to the mesh that keeps them out of the pump and they get shredded by the shear forces. What's the lowest rate of filtration you've had success with in a tank that doesn't have fish (by which I mean, where nitrate levels aren't the limiting factor)?

Lastly, if anyone has any advice about how to keep Rhodomonas lens cultures from crashing, or more hardy marine microalgae that are a good source of lipids, I am all ears!

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah that’s one heck of a project. Not sure if the bags will pan out with testing. Unless your replacing water or using a dip stick style test.
I think you can get some good inspiration if you look up different Pico tanks. They accomplish a couple of the hurdles you listed.
I’m hoping more chime in to your aid. This would be very interesting to follow the updates.

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, welcome and also very interesting project! As far as the aquaculturing aspect, I think your best bet is to create a system that all has the same water source and therefore requires one set of testing equipment. I am not 100% sure on how exactly you are planning to set this up, a visual schematic (even if its hand drawn) might be helpful to people on here to be able to help you better. I am imagining a setup where you have a large water reservoir that feeds the entire system, this way you only have to adjust and monitor water parameters in one area and all specimens are cultured in identical conditions. I imagine the waste produced by urchins and especially larvae is minuscule and probably not a limiting factor. I would look at posts in the breeding forums and see what parameters they have found to be most important to them and then try to replicate that. I would count on the following as a minimum: temperature, pH, salinity, and ammonia unless you plan to avoid this with constant water renewal. Found this briefly searching in the breeding forums: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/blue-tuxedo-urchin-breeding-success.609938/

OP
OP
C

cmanner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah that’s one heck of a project. Not sure if the bags will pan out with testing. Unless your replacing water or using a dip stick style test.
I think you can get some good inspiration if you look up different Pico tanks. They accomplish a couple of the hurdles you listed.
I’m hoping more chime in to your aid. This would be very interesting to follow the updates.
I think for the bags I am going to 3d print a fixture that resembles one of these hanging trash bag holders, but with a solid lid over where the opening is. then the idea would be to build a wooden support frame with 1x4 joists that I can attach the fixtures to. Into that lid I'll drill 6-ish ports all with some kind of fitting - one way valves and quick disconnect/luer locks, syringe septa, et cetera. For scientific samples, I think a luer lock fitting with tubing that goes to a 3-way stopcock. The DBB will come off one port, the liquid draw port will come off another and be protected with a one-way valve, and the third will have a one way valve going inward with a 0.22micron filter to sterilize return air to flush the line. For feeding I'm imagining loading algae into a syringe and injecting through a septum. outflow, inflow, gas venting, a paddle, et cetera will all be through some kind of aeseptic port. honestly the hardest to envision right now is the paddle stirrer. getting a pH probe in wouldnt be terribly hard, but affording 20+ probes is a bit rough.

First of all, welcome and also very interesting project! As far as the aquaculturing aspect, I think your best bet is to create a system that all has the same water source and therefore requires one set of testing equipment. I am not 100% sure on how exactly you are planning to set this up, a visual schematic (even if its hand drawn) might be helpful to people on here to be able to help you better. I am imagining a setup where you have a large water reservoir that feeds the entire system, this way you only have to adjust and monitor water parameters in one area and all specimens are cultured in identical conditions. I imagine the waste produced by urchins and especially larvae is minuscule and probably not a limiting factor. I would look at posts in the breeding forums and see what parameters they have found to be most important to them and then try to replicate that. I would count on the following as a minimum: temperature, pH, salinity, and ammonia unless you plan to avoid this with constant water renewal. Found this briefly searching in the breeding forums: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/blue-tuxedo-urchin-breeding-success.609938/

two great ideas! i can certainly provide a schematic - this is what I've got so far. I did sort of incorporate your thought about having a common tank. Though what you're expressing, having a common reservoir instead of a catch basin, is more elegant. One thing I am concerned about is that if I do that, but hold the flow rates low, it seems possible that I could wind up with a state of non-equilibrium where the pH of the tanks diverge from the pH of the reservoir. I suppose I can increase the surface area of the outflow filter and up the flow rate and paddle speed....

Screen_slides.jpg

OP
OP
C

cmanner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that’s a big project! Do you have an advisor you can ask I think you’d get a lot more help there or finding someone who has a similar doctorate. Is there any focus on starfish in your dissertation? Just wondering.
I mean, I have tons of help, but we're geneticists and cell biologists first. I wasn't kidding even a little when I said this forum is seems to be the pinnacle of aquaculture knowledge. Honestly ive already gotten some great ideas from browsing through here and talking with a handful of folks.

I don't have a focus on starfish, but that largely has to do availability of experimental animals - our marine lab has very easy access to lytechinus variegatus ('green sea urchins', though tbh they come in a pretty crazy number of colors). There are a bunch of researchers that do work in starfish though. Echinobase is a good jumping off point.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome lid idea allowing you to move water in or out. Is testing ph from a sample of each manually
, out of the equation? What types of algae did you have in mind for feedings?

OP
OP
C

cmanner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome lid idea allowing you to move water in or out. Is testing ph from a sample of each manually
, out of the equation? What types of algae did you have in mind for feedings?
I think manual pH testing daily will have to happen for me to stay sane, but reviewers like to see automated pH maintenance and data logging. My present plan is to use the setup in the above schematic and incorporate a larger pump basin - maybe a 50 gallon drum. This leaves open the possibility, especially with low flow rates, that these aquaria could enter a state of non-equilibrium, where their pH (or worse, the pH of just a handful) differs from the reservoir pH. I think given that the manual pH testing is probs what is going to make it so I can sleep at night.

as for feeding, the recommendation I keep coming around to is a mix of Rhodomonas lens and Dunaliella tertiolecta, but i really have issues keeping the former alive for very long

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I mean, I have tons of help, but we're geneticists and cell biologists first. I wasn't kidding even a little when I said this forum is seems to be the pinnacle of aquaculture knowledge. Honestly ive already gotten some great ideas from browsing through here and talking with a handful of folks.

I don't have a focus on starfish, but that largely has to do availability of experimental animals - our marine lab has very easy access to lytechinus variegatus ('green sea urchins', though tbh they come in a pretty crazy number of colors). There are a bunch of researchers that do work in starfish though. Echinobase is a good jumping off point.
It absolutely is and thank you! I’ve never heard of it.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think manual pH testing daily will have to happen for me to stay sane, but reviewers like to see automated pH maintenance and data logging. My present plan is to use the setup in the above schematic and incorporate a larger pump basin - maybe a 50 gallon drum. This leaves open the possibility, especially with low flow rates, that these aquaria could enter a state of non-equilibrium, where their pH (or worse, the pH of just a handful) differs from the reservoir pH. I think given that the manual pH testing is probs what is going to make it so I can sleep at night.
Okay I see you have the drain line dump into a ph test zone. What if you take that idea and add a dump drain to it. Plug all the dbb to that coupled with shut off valves. One by one you drain water from each dbb into the test zone and drain the sample before moving on to the next dbb.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for feeding, the recommendation I keep coming around to is a mix of Rhodomonas lens and Dunaliella tertiolecta, but i really have issues keeping the former alive for very long
Send a message to @AlgaeBarn for this one

OP
OP
C

cmanner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I see you have the drain line dump into a ph test zone. What if you take that idea and add a dump drain to it. Plug all the dbb to that with coupled with shut off valves. One by one you drain water from each dbb into the test zone and drain the sample before moving on to the next dbb.
not cheating at all, and a thing I've considered. The thing is, then I have to add solenoids to each line, which isnt the worst. Heck, could even split it into a separate testing apparatus so flow is reduced but not eliminated into the pump basin using 3-way valves. thing is, then I have to code the acquisition software in python and thats gonna take me a hot minute to work out the bugs. It is def my top choice right now unless someone has a better idea or if I can demonstrate fast movement to equilibria (e.g., if i get the thing running with no animals, spike acid/base into a reactor, and can demonstrate a rapid-ish return to equilibrium.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not cheating at all, and a thing I've considered. The thing is, then I have to add solenoids to each line, which isnt the worst. Heck, could even split it into a separate testing apparatus so flow is reduced but not eliminated into the pump basin using 3-way valves. thing is, then I have to code the acquisition software in python and thats gonna take me a hot minute to work out the bugs. It is def my top choice right now unless someone has a better idea or if I can demonstrate fast movement to equilibria (e.g., if i get the thing running with no animals, spike acid/base into a reactor, and can demonstrate a rapid-ish return to equilibrium.
What about hand valves. Or does that part need to be automated?

OP
OP
C

cmanner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about hand valves. Or does that part need to be automated?
the general rule is automate everything. I'm going to have very little time to care for these once it gets started, because I'll be having to build the CRISPR libraries and sequencing libraries and collect data. Also I think for a big project like this the less hands-on I can be, the less variation I will introduce. fewer nuisance variables, you know?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Brand new user here, and praying this gets some traction.

I'm embarking on a sort of ridiculous project that it seems like this forum is uniquely poised to help with. I am a PhD student at Duke University studying the functional genomics of how calcifying marine invertebrates (think corals, shellfish, sea urchins, et cetera) repsond to climate change - essentially what genes or genetic variants most impact how these animals respond to ocean acidification. There is already a great wealth of data out there on this subject, but so far, no one has really managed to establish causal relationships or dig into what the genes that turn on or turn off in response to acidic seawater are doing, or why they're doing it. A huge part of that is technological limitations, and developing the technologies to do that is a passion of mine. I use the developing sea urchin embryo as a model organism. These little guys are fascinating. They develop from a fertilized egg into a swimming larvae with a complete calcium skeleton in a matter of hours - so speedy!
One thing I am trying to do is a type of genetic screen where we use CRISPR to make a pool of urchin embryos where basically every embryo has a different change introduced into its genome. Then we put half of those embryos in conditions that very closely approximate today's oceans, and another half in conditions that approximate the oceans of the near future. After allowing them to develop, we figure out which ones did the best, and which ones did the worst (we measure their fitness under these conditions). That data can be used for all sorts of cool things, including informing conservation approaches designed to preserve coral reefs for future generations.

Heres my issue: everyone who works with these little critters tells me that these larvae can only be successfully raise at pretty low densities - around 1 larvae per mL of seawater. To actually do the screen, I need an absolutely massive number of embryos. We're talking about aquaculture setups on the scale of somewhere between 5000 and 100,000 liters. And because stewardship of taxpayer money for research is a high priority and because money dont grow on trees, I need to DIY these aquaria on the cheap. I'm thinking about borrowing an approach from the people trying to make lab-grown meat, and building something called a disposable bag bioreactor (DBB).

This is probably what you think it is: its a lot like a really fancy reef aquarium that got forced into a trash bag. My question to you all is this: if you had to take a really precious reef aquarium and exchange the actual tank for a trash bag, how would you do it?

I have some ideas and have been researching this for nearly a year, but after reading through posts here I am coming to realize that when it comes to managing complex aquaria, you all have vastly more expertise than I think I could ever hope to gain. I'm interested in hearing two things - responses to the seemingly silly but totally serious trash bag question above, and responses to some specific things I'm trying to work though that I'll list below.

Thank you all so much in advance. If you don't terribly mind, tag friends on here that you think might be interested in this problem - the more reach this can get the more successful I will likely be in my research.

Sincerely,

Carl

Specific issues I am maybe stumped by:

Automated control of pH - I plan to bubble CO2 through the bags and use a PID controller and solenoid to maintain pH. But this necessitates pH measurement. How can I measure the pH (and other parameters like temperature, alkalinity, nitrate levels, et cetera) of dozens of 125L cultures in sealed plastic bags without having to get dozens of pH meters? Are there other parameters I should be measuring - if it impacts the health of corals in your hands, it's probably important here.

Filtration rates - in small cultures I have to change the water every 2-3 days. In a big culture like this, thats really not doable. So I think I have to filter the water. When I filter urchins embryos, I have to be really careful about flow rates - if I pull too hard, they all get stuck to the mesh that keeps them out of the pump and they get shredded by the shear forces. What's the lowest rate of filtration you've had success with in a tank that doesn't have fish (by which I mean, where nitrate levels aren't the limiting factor)?

Lastly, if anyone has any advice about how to keep Rhodomonas lens cultures from crashing, or more hardy marine microalgae that are a good source of lipids, I am all ears!
Are you in Dave's lab?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back