Restocking 72 gallon tank

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to restock my 72 gallon tank! Right now I have two ocellaris clowns, a diamond goby and flame angel. I had a file foxface and sailsin (no questions please already talked about it!). So I am thinking on a leapord wrasse, another sailfin (some people say he needs more room but I have see other people with them and the one that had been in that tank for 10 years and did fine so please only say no to it if u think it's to many fish) and I am thinking a Tomini Tang.. thank you all for your advice!!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three tangs in a 75 will cause issues. One tang. I suggest the tomi, from the sound of it you made you mind up.

Flames can be a bit aggressive add them last. Leppard wrasse can be a bit touchy. Melanrus wrasse is a good wrasse with caution to shrimp and crabs.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I only recommend the Leopard Wrasse if you are patient and willing to wait for your LFS to do a bulk order on them and pick one that is active and feeding on frozen foods 2-3 weeks after it arrives in the store. They are notoriously poor shippers and by nature they are picky copepod eaters to boot, so only the more adaptable individuals last long in captive environments.

The established Tang and Flame Angel will be a real consideration for any new additions as they will likely treat any new addition in a tank that small as a threat/invader and the results will not be good. Leopard Wrasses tend to be timid when it comes to aggression and are very likely to be bullied by an assertive fish. A Melanurus Wrasse would be a better choice as they are generally more hearty and tend to have a wide variety of diets. That and they are a pretty good balance. They generally don't start fights, but they will defend themselves against more aggressive fish. I watched my Juvie Melanurus take on a new Yellow Tang and CB both at the same time when they tried to establish a new pecking order in the tank (and both exceeded the size of the wrasse at that time). Both the Yellow Tang and Coral Beauty got a surprise when they found this fish trying to bite their tails off and not backing down. They both pretty much left the wrasse alone after that and even swam together with it once they got more established. The same wrasse also put an aggressive butthead of a snowflake ocellaris clownfish in place. The Clownfish came in and tried to bully everyone in the tank. The Melanurus Wrasse took it for a bit and then it decided it had enough and spent the next couple of days beating the living crappola out of it (I even saw the wrasse grab the clownfish by the tail and shake it like a ragdoll). After that it backed off and pretty much left it alone, but it would give the occasional little reminder nip to the clown so it could remember who was boss. :D

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three tangs in a 75 will cause issues. One tang. I suggest the tomi, from the sound of it you made you mind up.

Flames can be a bit aggressive add them last. Leppard wrasse can be a bit touchy. Melanrus wrasse is a good wrasse with caution to shrimp and crabs.
Adding two tangs not 3 once sailfin and one Tonini the sail fin I had died

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not enough room for a Salfin (I know you know )

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I only recommend the Leopard Wrasse if you are patient and willing to wait for your LFS to do a bulk order on them and pick one that is active and feeding on frozen foods 2-3 weeks after it arrives in the store. They are notoriously poor shippers and by nature they are picky copepod eaters to boot, so only the more adaptable individuals last long in captive environments.

The established Tang and Flame Angel will be a real consideration for any new additions as they will likely treat any new addition in a tank that small as a threat/invader and the results will not be good. Leopard Wrasses tend to be timid when it comes to aggression and are very likely to be bullied by an assertive fish. A Melanurus Wrasse would be a better choice as they are generally more hearty and tend to have a wide variety of diets. That and they are a pretty good balance. They generally don't start fights, but they will defend themselves against more aggressive fish. I watched my Juvie Melanurus take on a new Yellow Tang and CB both at the same time when they tried to establish a new pecking order in the tank (and both exceeded the size of the wrasse at that time). Both the Yellow Tang and Coral Beauty got a surprise when they found this fish trying to bite their tails off and not backing down. They both pretty much left the wrasse alone after that and even swam together with it once they got more established. The same wrasse also put an aggressive butthead of a snowflake ocellaris clownfish in place. The Clownfish came in and tried to bully everyone in the tank. The Melanurus Wrasse took it for a bit and then it decided it had enough and spent the next couple of days beating the living crappola out of it (I even saw the wrasse grab the clownfish by the tail and shake it like a ragdoll). After that it backed off and pretty much left it alone, but it would give the occasional little reminder nip to the clown so it could remember who was boss. :D
Thanks so much for the info in the wrasse that sounds like a better option! Would he kill any of the fish I have now though?? My clowns r very peaceful and don't mess with anyone. What do you think about the two tangs I would add

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They kind of go hand in hand......if the tank was empty and you only had a sailfin, it still would not be enough room unfortunately. With the other fish, it only makes the lack of space even worse.

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They kind of go hand in hand......if the tank was empty and you only had a sailfin, it still would not be enough room unfortunately. With the other fish, it only makes the lack of space even worse.
I had a sailfin for 10 years and a foxface as well and then a file for the last year all died but due to a desease think it was velvet brought from a new fish

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u think there is not enough room for a sail fin because there r to many fish or because it's just not enough room

It's a fish that gets 15 inches long and almost as tall, in a tank that's 4 feet long at most. So just sitting there (not moving) at full size it will take up over 1/4 of your tank. That's like me shoving you in your bathroom and locking the door and telling you to live out your life in there. The only tangs I would recommend for your tank (and only one of them at any given time) would be the Tomini or Squaretail Tangs as they are the smallest of the bunch (they max out under 7 inches long and don't get anywhere near as tall as a sailfin) and are more prone to graze the rockwork and substrate vs being open water swimmers.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the Mel is a model citizen. They aren't aggressive towards fish unless it's defenending its self. Mine is a model citizen. It's with a cinnamon clown, benghi cardnial, three yellow tail damels and a chocolate chip starfish.

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a fish that gets 15 inches long and almost as tall, in a tank that's 4 feet long at most. So just sitting there (not moving) at full size it will take up over 1/4 of your tank. That's like me shoving you in your bathroom and locking the door and telling you to live out your life in there. The only tangs I would recommend for your tank (and only one of them at any given time) would be the Tomini or Squaretail Tangs as they are the smallest of the bunch (they max out under 7 inches long and don't get anywhere near as tall as a sailfin) and are more prone to graze the rockwork and substrate vs being open water swimmers.
What about a powder brown some sites say 125G and others say 75G

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the Mel is a model citizen. They aren't aggressive towards fish unless it's defenending its self. Mine is a model citizen. It's with a cinnamon clown, benghi cardnial, three yellow tail damels and a chocolate chip starfish.
Does your melanarus wrasse burry itself at night? I just got one and yesterday evening and night he was really happy swimming around with no problems and this morning I don’t c him I am not to worried but was just wondering

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes. That's what they do when stressed or sleeping they hit the sand. It'll come out. You'll love it. They are a great colorful fish that is an active swimmer.

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes. That's what they do when stressed or sleeping they hit the sand. It'll come out. You'll love it. They are a great colorful fish that is an active swimmer.
Thank you good to know tried looking it up but got no results thank you

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really do want a tang look at the kole tang.
I did get a kole Tang he is doing great too swimming around alot! No problems with the flame! Actually the kole kicked the flame out of his territory

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do they generally sleep? I kept my light on till about 11:00 last night(because I wanted to watch the fish) and turned it on at around 9:00 this morning, I don't normally though the time is 10:00am and then off from 1-2:45 and then off at 10pm

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back