Restocking After Fallow Period

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m nearing the end of the fallow period in my 90g SPS-dominant reef tank. Despite only buying from vendors that “quarantine” before selling, I still managed to get ich in the display. Furthermore, due to limited quarantine space and aggression that broke out, once the copper/general cure treatment was completed I returned some of the fish to my LFS.

I’ve decided to take it much slower this time, introduce fish one at a time, and quarantine them myself, treating prophylactically with copper and GC. I’ll probably add them in one per two weeks time, since I’ll be staggering between two quarantine tanks.

My centerpiece fish is a small 4” regal angelfish which I had a BATTLE nursing back to health after it contracted lymphocystis and secondary bacterial infections. I’m attached to this little fish now so I want to build a good stock list around this one fish. I know regals are timid and don’t do well with more aggressive tank mates.

Here’s my thought:

1. Regal angelfish going in first, having time to settle and establish itself without competition.
2. melanurus wrasse
3. One spot foxface
4. Flame hawkfish
5. White tail bristletooth tang

This may be considered “under stocked”, but I can’t really think of any other fish that fit in with the list. I’d love a copperband butterflyfish, but I don’t know if I can successfully quarantine one and have heard that most don’t survive past 6 months, even if they eat. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Feel free to post them!

Lil' RegalReefster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, that's funny, I have the exact same fish and exact same size who ended up with lympho and then got 3 different secondary infections! He is back on the mend now which is good. As for stocking, you may be able to squeeze in a group of relatively peaceful anthias which I find are a really pretty "filler" fish. They are nice and active and complement a regal nicely (I have some lyretails in with mine). If you have a Fuge and decent pod population maybe you could do a mandarin dragonet.

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you say you want to "slow down" and then you want multiple QT so you can add a fish every two weeks.

That's not slowing down

SLOW DOWN!

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just completed a fallow period (76 days) and now have 4 black mollies as "canaries" in the tank to confirm eradication of the disease. If all goes well, 12/24 is the "all clear" day. IMO the disease (velvet in my case but may also have been ich) was caused by introduction of a clean-up crew, All was good for months until I added to my CUC. Apparently the disease can exist on the hard surface of the CUC and hatch. I read many posts stating there is no need to QT CUC but apparently not always true. See QT recommendations by Humblefish below. My initial stocking will be 2 clowns, 1 Marginalis butterfly, 1 purple tang, 1 Magnificent Foxface, 4 dispar anthias, and of course the 4 back mollies.

Invert QT.JPG

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, if you have captive bred fish or those that successfully eradicated the disease, you will want to qt everything from now on.

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you say you want to "slow down" and then you want multiple QT so you can add a fish every two weeks.

That's not slowing down

SLOW DOWN!
Thanks, dad. I already have two QTs, and staggering them, each fish will have one month of treatment in copper and general cure. The tank is mature biologically. Appreciate your concern though, sweetcheeks. You’re a wise old owl, and much smarter than me, obviously.

There’s a polite way to make your point, but you chose not to use it, so I choose not to be polite in return. See how that works?

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just completed a fallow period (76 days) and now have 4 black mollies as "canaries" in the tank to confirm eradication of the disease. If all goes well, 12/24 is the "all clear" day. IMO the disease (velvet in my case but may also have been ich) was caused by introduction of a clean-up crew, All was good for months until I added to my CUC. Apparently the disease can exist on the hard surface of the CUC and hatch. I read many posts stating there is no need to QT CUC but apparently not always true. See QT recommendations by Humblefish below. My initial stocking will be 2 clowns, 1 Marginalis butterfly, 1 purple tang, 1 Magnificent Foxface, 4 dispar anthias, and of course the 4 back mollies.

Invert QT.JPG
Yup. In the long run, I plan to QT any new CUC, and corals as well. All fish will have one month treatment/observation before going into the tank as well.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back