Retired Coastie

SaltyDog67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to everyone

Got started last June. I have a 120 gal tank up and somewhat running. Have a 75 gal tank waiting for a start and a 10 gal I can use as a quarantine tank.
Semper Paratus shipmate! and welcome to R2R! I'm fairly new here as well but its a wealth of information from fellow hobbyist and a great forum! How long have you been retired? I retired about five years ago, and just got back into the hobby last December since we dont have to move every few years anymore.

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome 1.jpg

OP
OP
Coastie

Coastie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Semper Paratus shipmate! and welcome to R2R! I'm fairly new here as well but its a wealth of information from fellow hobbyist and a great forum! How long have you been retired? I retired about five years ago, and just got back into the hobby last December since we dont have to move every few years anymore.
I retired 1/1/2000. After 30 years

OP
OP
Coastie

Coastie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank has been both fun and a pain. Have been fighting an algae outbreak for months. Have been using Vibrant with some success, but it usually leaves me with an outbreak of red slime.
The fish crew consist of 3 pajamas (3 stooges), 3 blue reef chromis (3 musketeers), 2 gladiator clowns (ebony and ivory), tailspot blenny (whiskers), black sailfin blenny (black velvet aka big daddy), blue eyed kole tang (queenie), exquisite firefish (Finley), sailfin tang (Houdini). My Midas blenny has not been out for breakfast and may be gone.
Corals - torch, candy cane, rosta and fruit loop zooms, maze brain, acan, trachy and a montipora.

SaltyDog67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I retired 1/1/2000. After 30 years
Awesome, thanks for your service! I retired with 30 years total as well but only 20 years active duty. Started out in the Navy with 3 years active, then 10 reserve, and went back on active duty in 1998 with the CG for 17+ until I retired in 2015. Last duty station was in Maine and we decided to stay so we didn't have to move again, lol.

OP
OP
Coastie

Coastie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks for your service! I retired with 30 years total as well but only 20 years active duty. Started out in the Navy with 3 years active, then 10 reserve, and went back on active duty in 1998 with the CG for 17+ until I retired in 2015. Last duty station was in Maine and we decided to stay so we didn't have to move again, lol.
Thank you also for your service. Like you I remain in the state of my last duty station. Texas

SaltyDog67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank has been both fun and a pain. Have been fighting an algae outbreak for months. Have been using Vibrant with some success, but it usually leaves me with an outbreak of red slime.
The fish crew consist of 3 pajamas (3 stooges), 3 blue reef chromis (3 musketeers), 2 gladiator clowns (ebony and ivory), tailspot blenny (whiskers), black sailfin blenny (black velvet aka big daddy), blue eyed kole tang (queenie), exquisite firefish (Finley), sailfin tang (Houdini). My Midas blenny has not been out for breakfast and may be gone.
Corals - torch, candy cane, rosta and fruit loop zooms, maze brain, acan, trachy and a montipora.
Have you tried Chemiclean? It will wipe out any red cyano algae and its safe for all corals, fish, and inverts. You may also want to look at how you have your light timing set up and possibly reduce the full spectrum to a shorter on period to help curb the algae. Another thing to check is your phosphates and make sure they're not too high. I had an algae problem and started using purigen and phosguard in conjunction with a small fuge and chaeto after using the chemiclean and no longer have any issues that the CUC cant handle.

OP
OP
Coastie

Coastie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried Chemiclean? It will wipe out any red cyano algae and its safe for all corals, fish, and inverts. You may also want to look at how you have your light timing set up and possibly reduce the full spectrum to a shorter on period to help curb the algae. Another thing to check is your phosphates and make sure they're not too high. I had an algae problem and started using purigen and phosguard in conjunction with a small fuge and chaeto after using the chemiclean and no longer have any issues that the CUC cant handle.
Thank you for your reply. I have not tried Chemiclean but will get some. I just adjusted my lighting from the 7 hours it was on down to 4 will see how that does. Put some Purigen and charcoal in a couple of hours ago. Have phosguard on order, no chaeto due to the use of Vibrant. May stop Vibrant and go back to chaeto.
Thank you again

SaltyDog67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply. I have not tried Chemiclean but will get some. I just adjusted my lighting from the 7 hours it was on down to 4 will see how that does. Put some Purigen and charcoal in a couple of hours ago. Have phosguard on order, no chaeto due to the use of Vibrant. May stop Vibrant and go back to chaeto.
Thank you again
No problem, hope it helps! Use the chemiclean as directed and follow up with the water change and it will wipe out the cyano algae in 1 or 2 days...you may have to do a follow up treatment if it's really bad, but it will take care of it. As far as lighting, the 7 hours should be fine but I don't think it would hurt to go down to 4 for a bit to help rid the algae bloom. Personally, I would use the 4 hour as temporary so it doesn't affect your corals. They need the light for growth and good health as I'm sure you already know.

OP
OP
Coastie

Coastie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, hope it helps! Use the chemiclean as directed and follow up with the water change and it will wipe out the cyano algae in 1 or 2 days...you may have to do a follow up treatment if it's really bad, but it will take care of it. As far as lighting, the 7 hours should be fine but I don't think it would hurt to go down to 4 for a bit to help rid the algae bloom. Personally, I would use the 4 hour as temporary so it doesn't affect your corals. They need the light for growth and good health as I'm sure you already know.
The lights are on a total of 10 hour. 3hr ramp up and down and fully on for 4 hours

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 78 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back