Return flow help

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a Sicce 5.0 on my 75 gallon, plumbed with 1” return line that T’s off into 2 3/4” bulkheads on back corners of my tank, the locline has the 3” flared nozzles. I cannot seem to tame the flow from these returns, and even when my power heads are off I’m still getting significant flow at the sandbed from where the flow collides, almost trumps the flow from them.

Im running Full Triton Method so a significant reduction in flow is not a feasible option, but even throttling back the pump as an experiment still puts out a lot of flow. Is my pump oversized? I figured rated at 1300gph, plus head, and about 6 elbows it would reduce it significantly, but may not have…

So…

-will round nozzles help the output flow be less violent?

-if I split the return loclines with a Y and have the flow spread between multiple nozzles will this help, or is GPH, well GPH?

-time to experiment?

thanks…

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you spread your GPH out over more area the velocity of the water will be reduced

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you spread your GPH out over more area the velocity of the water will be reduced
I get that part, more a question of the flared nozzle vs rounded. I’ve only really used flare nozzles in the past, but if a round nozzle will reduce velocity I’ll swap them out.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The max flow you will get to the tank through the 3/4" bulkheads is 900 gph/per. You can increase velocity by restricting the output (smaller nozzles) but suffer increased head pressure and sacrifice volume by doing so. The problem with AC pumps is they are typically all or nothing. A DC pump or ball valves on each return pipe after the split would allow you the ability to tame the returns much better. If these are not options then you can also split the main returns into multiple outputs in the tank using Y lockline adapters. As long as you maintain the same diameter for all the outlets. This will reduce the velocity on the returns so it won't blast the sand around with little impact to overall flow.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The max flow you will get to the tank through the 3/4" bulkheads is 900 gph/per. You can increase velocity by restricting the output (smaller nozzles) but suffer increased head pressure and sacrifice volume by doing so. The problem with AC pumps is they are typically all or nothing. A DC pump or ball valves on each return pipe after the split would allow you the ability to tame the returns much better. If these are not options then you can also split the main returns into multiple outputs in the tank using Y lockline adapters. As long as you maintain the same diameter for all the outlets. This will reduce the velocity on the returns so it won't blast the sand around with little impact to overall flow.
I have my drains set up Herbie and have a gate valve on the return and also drain to fine tune it. Just seems that even at low settings the flare nozzles are disruptive to say the least. I’m going to experiment with both the return bulkheads having a round nozzle and if that’s still too much I’ll put a Y adapter on each one and will end up with 4 nozzles to disperse the flow I’m thinking.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried flare tips on mine (3/4) returns as well as rounded nozzles and both were too much. I switched to a DC pump from an AC pump and removed all the tips from the locline returns, and that was enough to calm things down but retain overall flow volume and keep adequate surface agitation.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried flare tips on mine (3/4) returns as well as rounded nozzles and both were too much. I switched to a DC pump from an AC pump and removed all the tips from the locline returns, and that was enough to calm things down but retain overall flow volume and keep adequate surface agitation.
I put a Y adapter on each return bulkhead and now have 4 round nozzles to disperse the flow. Seemed to have done the trick, even got to bump flow up a bit

KC Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a Sicce 5.0 on my 75 gallon, plumbed with 1” return line that T’s off into 2 3/4” bulkheads on back corners of my tank, the locline has the 3” flared nozzles. I cannot seem to tame the flow from these returns, and even when my power heads are off I’m still getting significant flow at the sandbed from where the flow collides, almost trumps the flow from them.

Im running Full Triton Method so a significant reduction in flow is not a feasible option, but even throttling back the pump as an experiment still puts out a lot of flow. Is my pump oversized? I figured rated at 1300gph, plus head, and about 6 elbows it would reduce it significantly, but may not have…

So…

-will round nozzles help the output flow be less violent?

-if I split the return loclines with a Y and have the flow spread between multiple nozzles will this help, or is GPH, well GPH?

-time to experiment?

thanks…
with my 3 ft waterbox 90.3 I had to replace sicce 3 to sicce 2 to lower gph. Now my overflow return tank water are reduced flow into socks and those dual return outputs flows are alot calmed. Now I can dial up mp40

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back