Return manifold pump selection

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this on my local reef club forum but got little feedback so I figured why not here too.
In a few days I'll be receiving a reef octopus bio reactor(though I'm not supposed to know). While I do have a mag 5 ready to go I have been considering running a bigger return pump and setting it up on a manifold with my brs GAC reactor. However I'm clueless how to do it. Anyone have any suggestions? I really have no idea how to properly make a manifold. I've done my research but seem to find 10 different people all saying theirs is the best way.

Also, since the pump has to be internal I'm pretty limited with my options and the first pump that comes to mind is a mag 18. Are there any other internal pumps that can handle the flow? I will be supplying a 90gal RR single megaflow, reef octopus 110 bio reactor, and a single BRS reactor. If possible I would like to also have 1 or 2 extra ports available for future use but not nessicary(sp?). Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance everyone. And please post pics I understand much more when I can see it. Thx
John

pgr11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its going to be an internal pump get the Laguna max-flo 1500 or 2000. The may 18 will cost more, run hotter, and is less efficient.

lakeviewink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest a Rio HyperFlo 20. Plenty of head and gph to handle a manifold. I ran one on my old system cuz I had to have an internal. These are completely different pumps than the regular Rios that have a bad rep. Research it for yourself.

For a manifold you just need a true union valve attached to a tee in the return. On the manifold side just add a few more tees with valves. I reduced to 1/2" valves and plumbing at that point.

OP
OP
jgraz

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest a Rio HyperFlo 20. Plenty of head and gph to handle a manifold. I ran one on my old system cuz I had to have an internal. These are completely different pumps than the regular Rios that have a bad rep. Research it for yourself.

For a manifold you just need a true union valve attached to a tee in the return. On the manifold side just add a few more tees with valves. I reduced to 1/2" valves and plumbing at that point.

First thank you both for the assist.

I just looked at this pump. I'm intrigued. The question I have is would I be better off going up to the hyper flow 26 or 32 for the extra gph just in case. I am seriously worried about not having enough flow to power both the bio pellets and the DT. The recommended flow on the bio is over 500gph then add in the tank at 700. At 1200 gpm I'm already over the limit on that pump. Another concern is that the two I listed have 1"outlets, is it a concern to reduce to 3/4" before return to tank? Thanks again

jtgordon20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... These are completely different pumps than the regular Rios that have a bad rep. ...

I've ran the other Rio on two different tanks with no problem. Always started great and ran strong.
The hyperflows look great though with lots of flow.

Anyone have pictures?

lakeviewink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thank you both for the assist.

I just looked at this pump. I'm intrigued. The question I have is would I be better off going up to the hyper flow 26 or 32 for the extra gph just in case. I am seriously worried about not having enough flow to power both the bio pellets and the DT. The recommended flow on the bio is over 500gph then add in the tank at 700. At 1200 gpm I'm already over the limit on that pump. Another concern is that the two I listed have 1"outlets, is it a concern to reduce to 3/4" before return to tank? Thanks again

If you are concerned about having enough gph to keep up go with the HF32(1920gph)and you can throttle it back with a ball valve. They are so inexpensive. I saw one for $121 on a google search. Reducing the size from 1" to 3/4" is no problem it just adds a bit to the head pressure but its negligible. Those pumps, I believe, come with adapters to go from 3/4"-1" and vise versa, I could be wrong.

I know it's apples n oranges but I run a manifold,to a dual GFO/GAC reactor and a next reef mr1 I use as a biopellet reactor on a 110g with dual 1" durso drains with a c2c overflow, with a 1290 gph external pump and it keeps up. Use the head loss calculator on RC to figure your gph you will actually need. I don't know anything about Megaflow drains.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jgraz

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are concerned about having enough gph to keep up go with the HF32(1920gph)and you can throttle it back with a ball valve. They are so inexpensive. I saw one for $121 on a google search. Reducing the size from 1" to 3/4" is no problem it just adds a bit to the head pressure but its negligible. Those pumps, I believe, come with adapters to go from 3/4"-1" and vise versa, I could be wrong.

I know it's apples n oranges but I run a manifold,to a dual GFO/GAC reactor and a next reef mr1 I use as a biopellet reactor on a 110g with dual 1" durso drains with a c2c overflow, with a 1290 gph external pump and it keeps up. Use the head loss calculator on RC to figure your gph you will actually need. I don't know anything about Megaflow drains.

Hope this helps.

Wow that's some pump. Thank you very much. The megaflow drain basically runs at 700gpm but if your running that I should have no problem. I think I tend to over think this stuff sometimes.

lakeviewink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's some pump. Thank you very much. The megaflow drain basically runs at 700gpm but if your running that I should have no problem. I think I tend to over think this stuff sometimes.

Not a problem. If I was running an internal pump that is the pump I would get again. Low heat, very low noise, ceramic bearings and very easy to clean. All at a lower price than almost any Eheim and Danner Mag of equal size. All around great pumps.

OP
OP
jgraz

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I bought a Rio HF32. Im still not sure how to do the manifold, so here are two I came up with. Don't mind the missing pieces. I need to get them. You can figure out what it's supposed to be.
First runs horizontal from the pump
04C246AF-BC25-489A-8197-B7965D5BA25B-30550-00002F41CCE4DE0D.jpg

Second vertical from the pump(missing the bottom "t".
3B7B4EB9-2839-4BC8-BE17-81509601192B-30550-00002F41C69A7BEF.jpg

I'm leaning towards the second one but I really have no clue. Which one if any will work. Thanks in advance

lakeviewink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think both are fine, IMHO. Just figure out which one fits best in your stand/application. You need to have the main ball valve in the main line before all the other tees and valves. That's the only problem I see. Good choice on the pump. Good luck!

lakeviewink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! No problem. Do you get what I mean about the main valve? It should precede the others on the main line and the others should tee off of the main.

OP
OP
jgraz

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did get it, but I don't have one in the plan. Just the 4 balls to control each branch. Should I have a main control before the manifold?

lakeviewink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did get it, but I don't have one in the plan. Just the 4 balls to control each branch. Should I have a main control before the manifold?

You don't need a new/extra valve. Just locate the one that's designated for the tank so it's in the main line before the others, so it's like a master valve. Know what I mean? Then you will only have the three tees. You don't need another tee.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back