Return pump considerations: Fact Based (75G)

bigcheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Sicce 3.5 on my son's 75G / 25G sump. Note the Sicce (along with others) have a mechanical shutter on the intake to adjust flow- generally once it's dialed in, no need to change. My thinking was, why mess with a DC controller that sacrifices efficiency and reliability for the sake of adjustability on something that needs to be adjusted 2, maybe 3 times over the life of the pump?

I would have agreed the 3.5 seemed a bit much for a 75G when we started the tank, but that became a non-issue when we went to a dual return. I can't be happier with the flow, in a pinch you could even use it to replace a powerhead. FWIW, we run one click closed (about 85-90% capacity).

The majority of the noise in my case came from the plumbing vibrating, not from the pump- once I figured that out and made adjustments, the return pump is quieter than everything else making the water slosh around.

pjb9166

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the Jeabo dcs9000 on my 65 gal tank 29 gal sump. DC controllable pump. Super quite. Heck I have it only running at like 40%.a
Got mine at ReefBreeders.c om
Excellent warranty as they are a certified dealer and in house repair shop.

EmptyWallet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a great run with both Jebao and EcoTech Vectra. I would never consider an A/C pump. I run my Vectra on ~40% power with a manifold that separately feeds a GFO reactor, a Carbon reactor and a large external refugium. I love the ability to 'turn on' any or all of the manifolds with a simple adjustment of the DC controller to compensate for the flow. I've mastered the calibration of how much flow to let through the manifolds as those pesky nitrate/phosphate levels raise their ugly heads. With an A/C pump it's just 'on' and would create a massive amount of variability if using manifolds, or you would need separate pumps to feed each reactor. For me a very oversized return dialled down (then up as/if required) is the way to go.

OP
OP
R

rknott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To close on this I went with the Jabao DCP-3000. It is working great, lots of volume in the tank and dead quiet. Had all the attachments in the box I needed. I did the final "wife test" and it passed with flying colors. TBD how long it will last. Now on to looking for a quiet skimmer (pump).

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to be several hundred to thousand dollars in fish and coral, don't go cheap. I have a Varios 4 on my 75 gallon tank and it is quite, 5 speed controller with stop and feed timer and what sold me on it is an auto shut off if the sump gets too low. It also works with Apex which I don't have.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to be several hundred to thousand dollars in fish and coral, don't go cheap. I have a Varios 4 on my 75 gallon tank and it is quite, 5 speed controller with stop and feed timer and what sold me on it is an auto shut off if the sump gets too low. It also works with Apex which I don't have.

The VarioS line is OK, definitely better than many other Chinese DC pumps, and they're what I'm currently using.
Apex compatibility is a plus for me.
Still I don't really trust them.
In less than two years, I've had an impeller seize up once on one of them.
I do clean them with an acid bath every 6 months.
I'm just waiting for one to fail again to have an excuse (for the wife) to buy an Abyzz. :)

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 13.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 47 46.1%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back