Return pump for 50 gallons of water?

Liquidlar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I was looking to setup dual return pumps with these it should be fine since I can dial down the flow with them right. I was gonna go with the 159 gph version but the max head height of 3.2 feet I think is too low.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, eheim are great pumps, with that one looks like you would be dialing back 75% ? to get to 50 gph
will run hot, and why 2 return pumps?

OP
OP
L

Liquidlar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, eheim are great pumps, with that one looks like you would be dialing back 75% ? to get to 50 gph
will run hot, and why 2 return pumps?
2 return pumps are for redundancy if one fails the other will keep things limping along till I can get the replacement.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
so looking for somewhere around 8 -10 x turnover ?
550 gph about perfect...

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank is 50 gallons how about the sump? Try to calculate total system volume when running and try for a turnover rate of 3-5 times per hour. That’s all you need. Additional flow will come from power heads. Running two pumps is a good plan I always run two pumps in my systems.

OP
OP
L

Liquidlar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank is 50 gallons how about the sump? Try to calculate total system volume when running and try for a turnover rate of 3-5 times per hour. That’s all you need. Additional flow will come from power heads. Running two pumps is a good plan I always run two pumps in my systems.
This might sound weird but is too much turnover bad? The reason I want the ones I listed is because the headroom is like 7 feet the 159gph ones had only 3 feet so im only really going overboard because of the headroom. Im kinda new to this but if your plumbing exceeds the max headroom the water wont make it back up to the display tank right?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the eheim will be perfect , 369 gph at max 7' ,along with a small power head in tank,
not overthinking, I like the get 2 for back up
prob around 7x turnover...

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might sound weird but is too much turnover bad? The reason I want the ones I listed is because the headroom is like 7 feet the 159gph ones had only 3 feet so im only really going overboard because of the headroom. Im kinda new to this but if your plumbing exceeds the max headroom the water wont make it back up to the display tank right?
It’s not bad but it’s just not required. A lot of times it’s hard to have a quiet system trying to push 10x turnover with your return pump. You just need to move water from the sump back to the tank. That’s it. Use power heads to get the flow your system needs. It’s cheaper and much less noise!

OP
OP
L

Liquidlar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not bad but it’s just not required. A lot of times it’s hard to have a quiet system trying to push 10x turnover with your return pump. You just need to move water from the sump back to the tank. That’s it. Use power heads to get the flow your system needs. It’s cheaper and much less noise!
As I said I would if I could its just I think I need the max headroom so the water can make it to the display tank.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to assume your sump is in the stand under the tank?

Your no where near 7 feet head, your probably looking at more like 3 or 4 feet.

OP
OP
L

Liquidlar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to assume your sump is in the stand under the tank?

Your no where near 7 feet head, your probably looking at more like 3 or 4 feet.
This is gonna sound weird but do horizontal pipes affect it? like lets say I had like a 90 degree angle of pipes would the horizontal portion count twords the headroom or just the vertical pipes.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then just measure from the sump to the display, that is your head height. Any small horizontal run you might have will be moot when factoring head.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back