Return Pump Recommendation

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

I am setting up a new 90gl reef tank after being out of the hobby for a number of years. I need to purchase a new return pump and was wondering what the latest trend is, most popular pump, etc. In reading it looks like DC pumps are the way to go. just looking for recommendations for brand, model, etc...30 gallon sump to 90gl tank...

any help and recommendations is much appreciated.

Thanks!

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back!

I spent a long period out of the hobby - from about - 2004 to earlier this year.

Every pump I have bought since coming back that is AC - I regret buying. DC pumps use way less energy, and are silent. Even the better quality AC pumps sound like they're chewing up rocks sitting next to a dc pump now. I currently have a 100gph AC pump driving a reactor - and its probably 90% of the noise in my tank. Its currently driving me nuts.

If I was setting up a 90g right now - I think I'd buy two Jebao DCP3000 size pumps and run both of them on separate returns. They're about $50-60 each, run about 25w at 100%, and are dead silent. You'll have redundancy in case of failure, quiet, and low energy.

I'd probably buy a spare and use it as a swap when cleaning pumps.

I'm currently using a DCP2500 on my tank. There's probably a newer series at this point.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny how the opinions differ on this. I would likely never use a DC pump for a return pump. A good Sicce, Tunze or Eheim return pump will last 10+ years if you clean it maybe three or four times. DC pump just has too much to fail.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny how the opinions differ on this. I would likely never use a DC pump for a return pump. A good Sicce, Tunze or Eheim return pump will last 10+ years if you clean it maybe three or four times. DC pump just has too much to fail.

My Sicce Syncra pumps are loud, and have always been, and have proved to be significantly less reliable than my DC pumps. They're now salt mixers.

20 years ago - DC aquarium pumps were cutting edge - and they were unreliable - they're not at this point.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Sicce Syncra pumps are loud, and have always been, and have proved to be significantly less reliable than my DC pumps. They're now salt mixers.

20 years ago - DC aquarium pumps were cutting edge - and they were unreliable - they're not at this point.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one :)

Sicce, Tunze, Eheim vs Jebao... I know which one I am choosing for a return pump.

Closed loop pump or something I might try something with wave patterns and what not, sure.

adobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

I am setting up a new 90gl reef tank after being out of the hobby for a number of years. I need to purchase a new return pump and was wondering what the latest trend is, most popular pump, etc. In reading it looks like DC pumps are the way to go. just looking for recommendations for brand, model, etc...30 gallon sump to 90gl tank...

any help and recommendations is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Setting aside DC vs AC, my opinion on return pumps is that for most, the most basic return pump that will meet flow rate, loudness and reliability requirements is what you should go for. Here are my reasons:

• The job of a return pump is to move water from your sump to your display tank. That's pretty much it. There is a certain amount of turnover you want for your tank but beyond that, there is really no benefit. There is only so much processing capacity for your skimmer and your various filters in the sump. Running a bunch more water through the sump beyond that is kind of pointless.
  • In past, hobbyists would task a return pump to also serve as a way to provide the primary flow within the display tank. As such, they would attach things like oscillating nozzles and/or multiple outlets to the return pump. Thinking of your return pump as a primary component in providing flow will make you look for advanced features - things like pumps that come with controllers that will allow you to vary the output of the return pump and having programs that simulate various types of flow. In truth, while these features seem nice, the results you will get trying to get randomized flow from one return pump will be mediocre at best. To get the optimal flow most hobbyist look for, you will still have to supplement using powerheads.
  • A return pump with all those features will wind up costing you a premium.
  • Also, if you are modulating the output of your return pump to provide optimal/randomized flow, your will have difficulty tuning your overflow to be quiet.

In my opinion, the better way to go is to decouple the function of moving water from the sump into the display tank and the function of providing optimal flow in your display tank. Then, buy the minimum (but still good quality) you need in terms of a return pump and put your money into in-tank powerheads (or maybe a closed loop system). You can buy the number of powerheads that you need to put flow into all the potential dead spots in your display tanks. You will be able to buy the right capacity / output powerheads to get the amount of flow you are looking for. And if you shop wisely, you will be able to use a controller to simulate different type of flow patterns. With that, you would still be able to tune your overflow to be quiet.

Last edited:

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Coral Box pumps from @Reef Breeders. Logan is top notch to deal with and has had email conversations with me at 11:30pm. Any question I've had was answered swiftly. Any issue I've had was dealt with immediately and without hassle.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I purchased a Varios4 for the sole reason that it was DC and controllable via my WaveEngine. The WaveEngine also let me eliminate the Varios4 controller and also the power brick as the WaveEngine supplies both power and controller functionality. It's worth noting if you go larger than the Varios4 you will need to power it separately and still use their controller (can still be hooked up and controlled by the WaveEngine though)

Prior to that, I used HUGE Reeflo external pumps but they are Expensive, super noisy and energy hogs even if dialed down using a ball/gate valve. This was before the huge leap in flow pumps like the Gyres or Vortechs

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I see Jaebo is recommended as well as others. This seems to be a good DC inexpensive solution. Does anyone have negative feedback?

Also...I have 90gl which is reef ready plumbed. Is there a link somewhere that would tell me what my max flow rate is through the overflow which is 1"?

Thanks for any assistance as always

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 105g DT (132g total volume) and run a Vectra M2. It has adjustable speed and it truly silent. Very well made.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming your sump is in the stand (as opposed to the basement) then most of the DC pumps will work. I'm partial to either the vectra or the varios. T'were me, I'd probably go with one of the fluval seas pumps.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a return pump I recommend a quality AC pump. The heartbeat of your system should be the most reliable piece of equipment. A quality AC pump will at least run for a decade most likely a few of them.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like running two return pumps, I use the Jebao SCP pumps, they are better than ecotech imo, I use both.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 71 47.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back