Return Pump(s)

K_B

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am new here. I have been a long time lurker and should have asked this before making purchases. So I have a cade pro reef 1800s2. As of right now, I have a vortec L2 return pump, and 2x MP40QD on the back wall. On the cade there are two manifolds that I am running a CW-300 algae scrubber and a Pentair 25W UV Sterilizer.

My issue is that I am housing freshwater african cichlids more specifically predator haps. These guys' bio load is massive and they aren't even fully grown. The mp40s are keeping the ditritus suspended in the water column but my issue is that I can't seem to get enough tank turnover because it takes forever before the tank starts to clear up after feeding, water changes, gravel vac, etc. I have been running the L2 at 85% and it is definately getting to loud for my office.

I had a bright idea of rushing out and bought an Abyzz A200. Now before I go an install the a200, on the cade, the return plumbing is 3/4" ID. Would replumbing the sections up until the return plumbing portion that goes through the bulkhead to 1.5" solve this issue or would it be appropriate to go ahead and install the a200 to run the tank and maybe keep the L2 since I can't return it and just run as auxillary pump for the algae scrubber and uv sterilizer?

Any help would be appreciated greatly as this is my first tank with a sump and have been running large tanks with fluval fx6's.

plumbing.png

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what are you actually using to capture waste and uneaten food, filter socks? I think your best bet would have just been to add an FX6.

OP
OP
K_B

K_B

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well really nothing gets by them as far as uneaten food, but the cade has 4x4"filter socks that I am using. I sold all my fluvals and to be honest, Im not going back to canisters with the aesthetics would be horrible now on this rimless tank.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll definitely get more flow with the A200, but I think you need more than just the filter socks for filtration. On saltwater tanks, a protein skimmer and carbon/GFO are pretty standard when you have a lot of fish or a high bio load.

As for the plumbing, even if you upgrade a portion of the pipes to 1.5” I think you’ll ultimately be limited by the 3/4” diameter outlet. But yes, if you setup the A200 to just run your tank and the L2 the UV/scrubber you’ll probably find that you have a lot more flow overall.

You could always run an FX6 in the chiller compartment?

Last edited:
OP
OP
K_B

K_B

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll definitely get more flow with the A200, but I think you need more than just the filter socks for filtration. On saltwater tanks, a protein skimmer and carbon/GFO are pretty standard when you have a lot of fish or a high bio load.

As for the plumbing, even if you upgrade a portion of the pipes to 1.5” I think you’ll ultimately be limited by the 3/4” diameter outlet. But yes, if you setup the A200 to just run your tank and the L2 the UV/scrubber you’ll probably find that you have a lot more flow overall.

You could always run an FX6 in the chiller compartment?
What else filter wise would you suggest? Like a filter block for a pond at the sock outlet? I've sold the fx6's already and the wife wouldn't like the asthetics.

OP
OP
K_B

K_B

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to also state that maybe I am not explaning it isn't a thing about filtration rather the flow through the tank and turnover rate at which the water is being cycled through. I'm not seeing these pieces of detritus come back through the return pump etc, I am watching it take hours for it to clear and leave the display for the first time.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if the waste isn't even leaving the tank then maybe just do as blaxsun suggested which will increase your overall flow ( as you planned anyway) and then see where that gets you.

OP
OP
K_B

K_B

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if the waste isn't even leaving the tank then maybe just do as blaxsun suggested which will increase your overall flow ( as you planned anyway) and then see where that gets you.
Yeah I am going to go ahead and plumb in the a200. I am unsure though if in the future to plumb 1.5" all the way to the bulkhead return if that can net in more pressure as well.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything google is telling me is max flow through 3/4 pipe is 23gpm, so 1380 GPH. If that is in fact true, you were already maxed with the vortec. Can the return bulkhead be made bigger if you were to go with plan A and increase the return pipe size? And we can't forget that the drain has to handle whatever you throw at it or it's floodsville.

OP
OP
K_B

K_B

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything google is telling me is max flow through 3/4 pipe is 23gpm, so 1380 GPH. If that is in fact true, you were already maxed with the vortec. Can the return bulkhead be made bigger if you were to go with plan A and increase the return pipe size? And we can't forget that the drain has to handle whatever you throw at it or it's floodsville.
Very true. At 85% with running the manifold, the L2 is definitely to loud for my office. I will try and research how pressure effects flow rates as well if plumbing 1.5" to the 3/4" bulkhead and if that fails, look into just getting rid of the cade and going full custom. I never even thought about this when buying doing my research. I just looked at pump flow rates...

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a list of calculations to run to determine what your maximum pump flow rate will be, including (but not limited to) vertical distance, horizontal distance, each 90 degree turn, etc. The outlet pipe diameter is ultimately going to be your limiting factor, but chances are your pump isn’t going to be able to achieve that anyway.

For example, on my Red Sea Reefer 750XXL I have a 1.5” return that splits into two 3/4” outlet returns, so on paper that should give me around 2500Gph. However, after all the twists and turns my Sicce ADV 9.0 can maybe deliver a maximum of half that. @43% output (which is both less annoying and doesn’t turn my tank into a sandstorm), I’m maybe seeing 700-800Gph.

OP
OP
K_B

K_B

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I will definitely look for that as well. I am having to run the vectra l2 at 85% at the moment to clear the tank out and to be honest, it's too much noise for me. A constant hum coming from it. If I can combat that with a lower rpm a200 pump which will be quieter, I will be happy. Even if I am not gaining much from the swap, I am pretty sure I made the right choice for what I want out of my system and gear.

Now to sell a freshwater vectra L2 with less than 3 weeks of run time....

OP
OP
K_B

K_B

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead and also picked up 9" of poret filter foam to put into the section right after the filter socks and before the refugium to also catch anything the socks miss. I went with 26x13x3″ Poret® Foam Sheets one in 10ppi one 20ppi and one 30ppi. I also bought some of the blue/white filter pad to go infront/between them as well. Should be in next week so I'll get that installed probably the same day all the fittings for the abyzz come in.

Should fit nicely in the section right after the socks.
1630071786378.png

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back