Return pump size....

Billabong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I'm just getting back into keeping a reef. I have a 3 chamber 20 gallon sump hooked to a 1" PVC overflow coming out of a 75 gallon tank. I did install a gate valve to adjust incoming flow.
From the sump to the top of the tank is approximately 55"

My buddy told me the high flow is in the tank with my wave makers, and the sump which will eventually have a refugium needs a slower flow rate. I bought on a budget a Sicce Silent 1.5 which does 357gph(I think)...
Will that be enough to keep up with the incoming water from the overflow?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Sicce 3.0 should suffice

please keep emergency for crisis such as fish or coral loss or other true emergency
This is a general question

Upvote 0

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi all,
I'm just getting back into keeping a reef. I have a 3 chamber 20 gallon sump hooked to a 1" PVC overflow coming out of a 75 gallon tank. I did install a gate valve to adjust incoming flow.

My buddy told me the high flow is in the tank with my wave makers, and the sump which will eventually have a refugium needs a slower flow rate. I bought on a budget a Sicce Silent 1.5 which does 357gph(I think)...
I agree with the slower flow through the sump and keeping higher flow in the display tank with wave makers.
I would shoot for roughly 5 times the tank volume through the sump.
That would make it approx 375 gph to maybe 400gph.
The Sicce 1.5 is too small.
As suggested the Sicce 3.0 will get you plenty after head loss.
Be sure to add a inline valve to adjust the pump. With a single drain line you may want to slow it down a little. It maybe a little noisy at a higher flow, and it may push the limits of the 1" drain.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Billabong

Billabong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the slower flow through the sump and keeping higher flow in the display tank with wave makers.
I would shoot for roughly 5 times the tank volume through the sump.
That would make it approx 375 gph to maybe 400gph.
The Sicce 1.5 is too small.
As suggested the Sicce 3.0 will get you plenty after head loss.
Be sure to add a inline valve to adjust the pump. With a single drain line you may want to slow it down a little. It maybe a little noisy at a higher flow, and it may push the limits of the 1" drain.
Thank you, that's what I was thinking after looking at just the size of the pump. I am coming back after a while lol.

Upvote 0

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank/sump similar setup as yours and I went with a Current eFlux 1900 DC pump instead of an AC pump. I have the pump set to about 30-33% of max flow. This allows for a slow flow through the sump and plenty of surface agitation in the display. I prefer DC pumps over AC pumps. Easier to hook up to battery backups as well as dial in the exact flow rates without having to use valves that increase the head pressure on the pump as result.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Billabong

Billabong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank/sump similar setup as yours and I went with a Current eFlux 1900 DC pump instead of an AC pump. I have the pump set to about 30-33% of max flow. This allows for a slow flow through the sump and plenty of surface agitation in the display. I prefer DC pumps over AC pumps. Easier to hook up to battery backups as well as dial in the exact flow rates without having to use valves that increase the head pressure on the pump as result.
Thanks for your reply!
I can't afford much at the moment.... BUT lol I am going to get eflux dc pump. I do have a Orbit LEDs that I can LOOP into, so that would make my life easier, and have better control over the tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Billabong

Billabong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce 3.0 should suffice

please keep emergency for crisis such as fish or coral loss or other true emergency
This is a general question
Thanks for the heads up, new to forum and not sure about the suffix thing. I tried pump, and other things that might be related but nothing came up. Is there a list where I can see available keywords?

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks for the heads up, new to forum and not sure about the suffix thing. I tried pump, and other things that might be related but nothing came up. Is there a list where I can see available keywords?
Sicce pumps are popular
3.0 is a model of sicce

Upvote 0

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply!
I can't afford much at the moment.... BUT lol I am going to get eflux dc pump. I do have a Orbit LEDs that I can LOOP into, so that would make my life easier, and have better control over the tank.

For a cheap, quiet and very reliable DC pump you could go with a Orlushy dc-9000. I have used one of these for my saltwater mix station (Red Sea Pro Salt). I have only had to clean it twice since putting it into service 8/2019. It's silent and moves a TON of water and had never had an issue with it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Billabong

Billabong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a cheap, quiet and very reliable DC pump you could go with a Orlushy dc-9000. I have used one of these for my saltwater mix station (Red Sea Pro Salt). I have only had to clean it twice since putting it into service 8/2019. It's silent and moves a TON of water and had never had an issue with i

For a cheap, quiet and very reliable DC pump you could go with a Orlushy dc-9000. I have used one of these for my saltwater mix station (Red Sea Pro Salt). I have only had to clean it twice since putting it into service 8/2019. It's silent and moves a TON of water and had never had an issue with it.
Thank you, I looked at the reviews. There was positive feedback,but the majority said the controller didn't restart in which is a known issue quoting the manufacturer.
Hi all,

Thank you @vetteguy53081 @Porpoise Hork for your positive feedback. I looked at the reviews for the Orlush model. There was positive feedback,but the majority said the controller didn't restart in which is a known issue quoting the manufacturer.

I ended up buying a Jebao DCT 4000 which does 1056gph. I will manifold off of the main return line to secure my future.
Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 183 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back