Return Pump WAY Too Powerful

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished filling my tank (good) and turned the return pump on. The return pumped out too much water, and ended up running out of water (bad). The problem is that I think that the return pump (Sicce Syncra 4.0) is too powerful, and pumps water into the tank at a greater rate than the drain hose can fill the sump. What should I do? I could just put a powerhead in the tank and run it without the sump while a new return pump gets here, but I would much rather just turn down the pump. How can I do this? Thanks!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could throttle the return with a gate valve or ball valve. It does not hurt a pump if you restrict the out flow. Your probably going to have to do something like that. Or try a DC pump which will allow you to control the flow.
Maybe something like this?

Screenshot_20221129-195454_Amazon Shopping.jpg

uninformed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You simply don’t have enough water in your tank or your sump to account for your lines and the holdup in the tank—the increase in level above the overflow. How big is your tank, your sump, and what size are your return and drain lines (length and diameter)?

Is your sump baffled? Is is the return chamber that runs dry? Can you lower your baffles?

Can you partially close a valve on your return line? A lower flow rate will reduce the holdup in the tank.

Can you simply add more water to the system?

Aquagen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The level when all pumps are off, isn't the same as when the pumps are running. All off tank should be sitting at the bottom lip of overflow and sump will be below level of overflowing. All on tank will sit somewhere above the lip of overflow due to teeth/friction restriction and sump will sit low.
Sounds like you need more water in sump. If your drains aren't keeping up the tank would overflow

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The level when all pumps are off, isn't the same as when the pumps are running. All off tank should be sitting at the bottom lip of overflow and sump will be below level of overflowing. All on tank will sit somewhere above the lip of overflow due to teeth/friction restriction and sump will sit low.
Sounds like you need more water in sump. If your drains aren't keeping up the tank would overflow

Agree. Adjusting pump speed won’t help a thing if there isn’t enough water in the system

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also make sure that when you add water to the sump (cuz it sounds like you need to unless you have restrictions in the drain) that when all pumps are off you don’t flood.

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoops. I guess that I never updated this. I ended up turning the level down on the pump, and it worked. The water level in the sump is now stable, and has been for the past three weeks. I did end up adding more water after the fact, but that was more to combat noise from the overflow than to help the return pump. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back