Return pumps do you really get what you pay for?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys know the warranties on these pumps. I know Abyzz is 10 and rd3 is 2. I’ve heard tunze has 5 so I’m going to look into them possibly. Does anyone know the varios?

Varios has a one year manufacturer warranty
Sicce has a 5 year warranty on there SDC line of pumps if you wanted to add another brand to the mix, not Apex controllable though I don’t think as they have there own wifi app

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go jebao and save more money for a better light. Jebao are cheap and reliable. There seem to be many people who have problem with it, but take in consideration it is by far the most sold pump. A good light will make a bigger difference than a good pump.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go jebao and save more money for a better light. Jebao are cheap and reliable. There seem to be many people who have problem with it, but take in consideration it is by far the most sold pump. A good light will make a bigger difference than a good pump.
The first jebao dc return pump I bought is now 4 or so years old? It has spend some time driving a hydroponics system, some time as a pond pump in my greenhouse (chewing through algae, snails, and tadpoles), and a year+ running in a reef tank. Its absolutely silent and works great. The controller is nonsense, but I rarely if ever do anything to control my returns.

And it was $49.

If I had $2k to throw away on a 75g reef, I'd buy about 10 of those, put 3 in the tank (Redundancy!), keep the rest as spares, and send $1500 to battlecorals.

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a jebao dcp3000 for my 40B. I have not have this for long so cant tell you how it will be in a year. But for $60. I think I am getting my money worth. Its silent. I hear my mp10wqd dryside more than my return pump.
It's also has a module for apex. I have not jump in that ship yet. It cost $80 for it. More than my pump worth...

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using jebao/jecod return pumps on my tanks for years and there’s no way in hell I’d buy anything but. They are amazing on power and push water like nothing else. And last forever...2k on a return pump just seems silly lol. My dc15000 been running on my 560 gallon for 2 years at 100% problem free. And it’s silent.

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the jebao. ive ran the one I have for 3 years now and no issues what so ever. I could buy 2 or even 4 of these to run my 120 before paying for one of the top brands.

OP
OP
M

Milkman420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first jebao dc return pump I bought is now 4 or so years old? It has spend some time driving a hydroponics system, some time as a pond pump in my greenhouse (chewing through algae, snails, and tadpoles), and a year+ running in a reef tank. Its absolutely silent and works great. The controller is nonsense, but I rarely if ever do anything to control my returns.

And it was $49.

If I had $2k to throw away on a 75g reef, I'd buy about 10 of those, put 3 in the tank (Redundancy!), keep the rest as spares, and send $1500 to battlecorals.
I saved the 2500 over the course of a couple years in a reef account lol. I haven’t purchased anything in 5 years since my gen3 xr30 pros or the mp40s Wes. Those items I figured i could sell off to offset some of the costs of replacing it then use the 1500 I put away for next year on replacing those. They work perfectly and have been regularly maintenanced. The tank is also already filled with corals so much so I’m going to have to heavily trim back during the move just to get it back together. So once again I can sell some of those items to offset costs. My return pump and recent splurge of apex/trident were items I don’t have or at least one that people would pay for. Plus It’s the heart beat of the system so was wanting the reliability of the mag but also controllable and big enough for a future upgrade.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's your tank - so do what you want - but your initial question - do you get what you pay for?

I couldn't think of an area where you will see less return for spending more than return pumps. I think one hugely expensive return pump is a significantly less reliable situation than two cheaper ones. Are you going to buy a backup abuzz?

Apex? Great. Trident? Great. Wave pumps and lights? Great payoff. Return pump is a great big meh.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 3 years on a varios, run at 100% and I only clean it every six months.i got a backup a year ago in anticipation of needing it but nope. Still brand new in the box. Pump still dead silent and when I do take it apart it has no ware on the rotor shaft. Besides the normal stains just from the water and bio you would swear it’s new. Great pumps and way cheeper and apex ready

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a varios for 2 years with no problems. When I built my frag tank, my friend convinced me to get a jebao and I have been pleasantly surprised with how quiet it runs. No issues after 5 months. His has been running 3 years.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve thought about getting the abyzz a few times ... but never end up being able to justify the cost. Ive been running a vectra M1 on my closed loop since the first day it was available. Five years, maybe more. No issues yet. I’m a big fan of the Fluval SP series. For a sump-in-stand tank that requires silence, the fluval would be my choice.

RazorRamon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 8 year old jebao return pump. As long as you keep up with maintenance most pumps will last for a long time

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll probably just go the Abyzz route but still not decided

Keep in mind that you will have a greater number of complaints with lesser cost units, simply because there are hundreds more of them in service due to cost.

So just don't be swayed by other pumps having "a lot of complaints"

Then you need to know the nature of the given complaint.
I have found horrible ratings and reviews on some products.
Then you read the complaints and it was because of shipping or other stuff that has nothing to do with the actual product itself.

Lostreefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Cor20 and love it, but did not love the two times in 2 years the power supply died. However Neptune support was terrific, even the 2nd time when it was out of warranty they bent over backwards to help.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

so I am in the process of moving my 75g tank. It’s been running for 9 years on a mag return pump. At my old house it was in the basement so I didn’t have issues with noise levels, however I am now moving it into my sons bedroom. The mag still works like a champ somehow being 8 years old lol but I figured with the move it’s a perfect time to upgrade to a controllable return pump. The tank while it hasn’t been neglected is due for upgrades and some changes. I purchased an apex and trident and now I’m looking for a return pump. I love Ecotech marine and run 2 mp40s and 2 xr30 pros so I was going to go with an m2. Now having purchased the Neptune products I’ve been considering getting a cor20 as well. However after doing research I keep seeing people have issues with both of these. I was also looking at a red dragon 3 and a100. Far less issues with these pumps but still some with the rd3. The saying you get what you pay for seems to ring true with these controllable pumps. I see the Abyzz has a 10 year warranty backing their pumps while others are only 1 or 2 at most. If I have to replace the pumps every 2 or so years it would seem like the Abyzz is the way to go Since 5 Vectra would cost me almost 2 grand. I know these newer pumps can’t touch the reliability of the mag pump so I’ll keep it for backup. How many of you out there have been running Vectras or cor20 or even the a100 or the rd3 for more then a couple years(not really sure if they’ve been out that long even, if not since they came out) without issues or signs of them slowing down?
I have a cheap ($90) hygger 1,060 GPH 24V DC return pump and it's been amazing. There are a few quality steals in the reef world for equipment and I'd consider this to be one of them.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back