Return pumps do you really get what you pay for?

Milkman420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

so I am in the process of moving my 75g tank. It’s been running for 9 years on a mag return pump. At my old house it was in the basement so I didn’t have issues with noise levels, however I am now moving it into my sons bedroom. The mag still works like a champ somehow being 8 years old lol but I figured with the move it’s a perfect time to upgrade to a controllable return pump. The tank while it hasn’t been neglected is due for upgrades and some changes. I purchased an apex and trident and now I’m looking for a return pump. I love Ecotech marine and run 2 mp40s and 2 xr30 pros so I was going to go with an m2. Now having purchased the Neptune products I’ve been considering getting a cor20 as well. However after doing research I keep seeing people have issues with both of these. I was also looking at a red dragon 3 and a100. Far less issues with these pumps but still some with the rd3. The saying you get what you pay for seems to ring true with these controllable pumps. I see the Abyzz has a 10 year warranty backing their pumps while others are only 1 or 2 at most. If I have to replace the pumps every 2 or so years it would seem like the Abyzz is the way to go Since 5 Vectra would cost me almost 2 grand. I know these newer pumps can’t touch the reliability of the mag pump so I’ll keep it for backup. How many of you out there have been running Vectras or cor20 or even the a100 or the rd3 for more then a couple years(not really sure if they’ve been out that long even, if not since they came out) without issues or signs of them slowing down?

OP
OP
M

Milkman420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bonus points if it will be controllable thru apex either directly or through a module. Also planning on upgrading in a couple years as well that’s why I was looking for 2000 range.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got the Abyzz a200 in my big tank, and a spare one, and you get what you pay for including the 10 year warranty

They are also silent and I mean you can’t hear anything from them silent. The only way you can tell it’s working is because the sump isn’t full!

OP
OP
M

Milkman420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See that’s my issue my wife gave me a budget and the route I want to take is the Abyzz but if I do that after adding in the apex and trident I already bought I’ll be at the budget. So I wouldn’t be able to add a new light like I was hoping. But I feel it’s the best path to take. I unfortunately wouldn’t be able to buy the spare backup in case of emergency either. That’s why I was hoping I would hear some success stories with the cheaper options(but not really cheap lol). That’s what blows my mind is all the horror stories from people using two top leaders in the industries pumps yet still failing. Is it necessary to have an exact backup no but would make life way easier and not require me to add new plumbing

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a vectra and a cor20. The vectra has not failed. The cor20 PS failed, I replaced with a good one from Digikey.
The vectra can be easily battery backed. The advantage of the core is the Apex integration.
I suspect both pumps are made in china probably by Jebao or their chinese competition. The main advantage of the vectra is that they design/manufacture their controller. Not as important anymore since DC motor controllers are ubiquitous now.
The German made pumps are certainly better quality. I do not have personal experience but I have read the flow does not drop off with head pressure like the cor20 and vectra both so, my anecdotal experience. The vectra and cor20 are both noisy IMO. The vectra is now on a small tank running at less that 50% and is silent. If buying a vectra I would get the L2 and run it slow. There cor20 produced the same flow at ~60% as it does at 100%.
RedDragon has some cheap most likely made in china pumps in the same price range as the vectra/cor20.
BRS thinks the RO Varios are more reliable.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever a new product comes out it will have issues. Never buy the first model year of anything! I don’t think that either the COR pumps or Vectras have been out long enough for 2 years to have passed from their fixes on the initial problems. That said, I have been running a COR20 for about 8 months and love it. Having the integration with the Apex is well worth it. If you are already invested in Neptune stuff I don’t know why you’d look anywhere other than the COR20.

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you have to replace Vectra or Sicce every two years. When I bought my Vectra I was told it doesn’t fail every few years like others do.

You have 8 plus years of experience. Go with your gut. The Fluval SP is made with an Italian motor that is supposedly legendary as far as AC motors go. You can get two of those and still spend less than a Vectra.

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd rather have two decent pumps than one better pump. I'd have more peace of mind with 2 or 3 or 15 reliable pumps than a single 2k pump.

This is where I'm at on pumps too. Only reason I can see shelling out the cash for abyzz or red dragon is if you are pushing water against huge head pressures. That's what they're made for. Why not get 2-3 M2's and still have $1,000 left over compared to the abyzz? FWIW, I just had a Vortech L2 die after a year, so add me to the list of people that have had problems with them. You might want to check out eflux too. The controller is not awesome (no app, little cheap knob to control speed), but they're cheap and silent.

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 of these. One as back up. It's been running over a year now no issues. Cleaned it at 6 months. Getting ready to clean it again soon. I can not express how happy I am with this pump. It is running externally. Super quiet, is it even running? Just warm to the touch. Nothing excessive. The attachments allow you to do almost anything.

So happy I bought 2 of their heaters also. It is working flawless also. The controller is even separate.

OP
OP
M

Milkman420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a vectra and a cor20. The vectra has not failed. The cor20 PS failed, I replaced with a good one from Digikey.
The vectra can be easily battery backed. The advantage of the core is the Apex integration.
I suspect both pumps are made in china probably by Jebao or their chinese competition. The main advantage of the vectra is that they design/manufacture their controller. Not as important anymore since DC motor controllers are ubiquitous now.
The German made pumps are certainly better quality. I do not have personal experience but I have read the flow does not drop off with head pressure like the cor20 and vectra both so, my anecdotal experience. The vectra and cor20 are both noisy IMO. The vectra is now on a small tank running at less that 50% and is silent. If buying a vectra I would get the L2 and run it slow. There cor20 produced the same flow at ~60% as it does at 100%.
RedDragon has some cheap most likely made in china pumps in the same price range as the vectra/cor20.
BRS thinks the RO Varios are more reliable.
I do have a varios on my skimmer and it’s been rock solid for almost 5 years. I do love it tho so now I have another pump to consider lol.

OP
OP
M

Milkman420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys know the warranties on these pumps. I know Abyzz is 10 and rd3 is 2. I’ve heard tunze has 5 so I’m going to look into them possibly. Does anyone know the varios?

un5tab1e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Current eFlux the smaller of the pumps. I can tell you this...I bought the thing off ebay 3 years ago and never set the tank up til a couple months ago. The power brick was messed up and the eFlux would not pump water. I knew it was the brick because it worked with a spare i had laying around. I called Current told them the problem and they not only sent a new brick but, complete pump with controller and everything. Now they aren't the new high dollar option but, customer service and warranty is top notch.

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd rather have two decent pumps than one better pump. I'd have more peace of mind with 2 or 3 or 15 reliable pumps than a single 2k pump.

Agreeing with this. I've got a jebao return pump and a backup waiting. All for under $200. And on my next tank I'll have 2 running side by side with a 3rd backup waiting on the shelf.

skydirt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was in the same debate with myself on my last build and ended up with varios 8's ran externally for main return. one is plumbed in for back up. 2 varios 6 on external skimmer, one for feed and the other for air. Also run a 2 for my mixing station. I have had no issues with any of them. I have a vectra s1 on frag tank that is ok but have had minor issues with. I will change to a varios on it if something happens to the vectra. Abyzz are probably the best, according to reviews, but like others have said, i would rather have a easy back up and save a ton of money.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back