Return pumps do you really get what you pay for?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my DC pumps are Varios.
I have had no issues other than they do not clean themselves.

My tank however has only been running some 14 months, so no longevity, but I have had no issues at all.

MrPike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tons of issues with varios, both the skimmer and the water pumps. Personally I think controllability on a return pump is silly, and reliability is key. Eheim for lower turnover, panworld/iwaki for higher turnover, and sequence for even higher turnover. Those pumps will last a decade and their warranty is useless because you will likely not use it.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

so I am in the process of moving my 75g tank. It’s been running for 9 years on a mag return pump. At my old house it was in the basement so I didn’t have issues with noise levels, however I am now moving it into my sons bedroom. The mag still works like a champ somehow being 8 years old lol but I figured with the move it’s a perfect time to upgrade to a controllable return pump. The tank while it hasn’t been neglected is due for upgrades and some changes. I purchased an apex and trident and now I’m looking for a return pump. I love Ecotech marine and run 2 mp40s and 2 xr30 pros so I was going to go with an m2. Now having purchased the Neptune products I’ve been considering getting a cor20 as well. However after doing research I keep seeing people have issues with both of these. I was also looking at a red dragon 3 and a100. Far less issues with these pumps but still some with the rd3. The saying you get what you pay for seems to ring true with these controllable pumps. I see the Abyzz has a 10 year warranty backing their pumps while others are only 1 or 2 at most. If I have to replace the pumps every 2 or so years it would seem like the Abyzz is the way to go Since 5 Vectra would cost me almost 2 grand. I know these newer pumps can’t touch the reliability of the mag pump so I’ll keep it for backup. How many of you out there have been running Vectras or cor20 or even the a100 or the rd3 for more then a couple years(not really sure if they’ve been out that long even, if not since they came out) without issues or signs of them slowing down?
1989 got this from Marine depot when located in Anaheim, Ca.
Still kicking, I got what I paid for and some.

Screenshot_2020-09-15-22-05-32.png

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Skimz AC, Red Dragon AC, Fluval SP's, and Lagunas are all based on it and almost identical. Go with whichever is the most appropriate and cheapest.
Honestly I rate the Fluval above all other Askoll motor pumps as thy have ceramic bearings and shaft! All of the others have wear issues with the bearings as the shaft is made of a harder material.

That being said. Ryan at BRS told me the Reef Octopus Varios is the most reliable pump they sell. Me myself, I went th Abyzz. There really is no comparable pump.

BigSkyRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See that’s my issue my wife gave me a budget and the route I want to take is the Abyzz but if I do that after adding in the apex and trident I already bought I’ll be at the budget. So I wouldn’t be able to add a new light like I was hoping. But I feel it’s the best path to take. I unfortunately wouldn’t be able to buy the spare backup in case of emergency either. That’s why I was hoping I would hear some success stories with the cheaper options(but not really cheap lol). That’s what blows my mind is all the horror stories from people using two top leaders in the industries pumps yet still failing. Is it necessary to have an exact backup no but would make life way easier and not require me to add new plumbing
Whats cheaper in the long run, replacing a pump or the wife :). Only kidding. I have a vectra and it is stealth quiet with zero issues

zenx2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao 4500 running strong 4 years...one before that was a Jebao 3000 got 2 years on that one before I sold it to by 4500...They are a DC controllable pump...

maroma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vetra M1 have not had any issues..

.. Knock on wood.

But at the end it's what you want at the end. And if you have the mula to drop. At the end if you don't get what you want you won't be happy.....

Even do your getting great feedback.

James Gray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had multiple DC pumps... some from some bigger names and a couple cheaper ones. All of them failed within 6 months to a year. All that is except for the Abyzz. I’ve had that one for about 18 months so far with no issues. It just works. Silently. Personally I’ve switched back to the good ole reliable AC pumps for everything except the return pump. Just got tired of replacing pumps every few months.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
issue with warranty is that in most cases you have to send the pump in for them to warranty. So if you don't have a backup your dead in the water. Multiple cheaper pumps is what I prefer as well as other have said.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd rather have two decent pumps than one better pump. I'd have more peace of mind with 2 or 3 or 15 reliable pumps than a single 2k pump.

100% Agree with this. Even good pumps will fail on occasion, and a warranty doesn't help if you're waiting 4 weeks to get it fixed or going back and forth with the manufacturer. Abyzz pumps may be nice, but after 8 years I can't see spending the money on one. You can get a couple of good pumps and a light for less than you'd pay for an Abyzz.

For an AC pump: The Fluval. Many others have echoed this; but it is powerful, reliable and quiet. I got one several years ago; it's still going in my mixing chamber.

For DC pumps: I have a Varios6 and a COR20. Had a power supply go out on the COR20 after a couple years haven't had any more problems. Expectedly, the COR integrates nicely with the Apex but the Varios is easier to use and more flexible if used on its own. Intrinsically, DC pumps have more to go wrong. A motor block, a controller and a power supply vs simply a motor block for the AC pump. Keep that in mind when deciding between AC & DC.

Bottom line, I would get 2 pumps. If something goes wrong, swapping out a controller, power supply or pump is a 5 minute job and you're back up and running while you trouble shoot. I also try to clean my pumps every 6 months or so and having a spare lets me do an overnight soak without worrying about my display tank.

scottsweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

so I am in the process of moving my 75g tank. It’s been running for 9 years on a mag return pump. At my old house it was in the basement so I didn’t have issues with noise levels, however I am now moving it into my sons bedroom. The mag still works like a champ somehow being 8 years old lol but I figured with the move it’s a perfect time to upgrade to a controllable return pump. The tank while it hasn’t been neglected is due for upgrades and some changes. I purchased an apex and trident and now I’m looking for a return pump. I love Ecotech marine and run 2 mp40s and 2 xr30 pros so I was going to go with an m2. Now having purchased the Neptune products I’ve been considering getting a cor20 as well. However after doing research I keep seeing people have issues with both of these. I was also looking at a red dragon 3 and a100. Far less issues with these pumps but still some with the rd3. The saying you get what you pay for seems to ring true with these controllable pumps. I see the Abyzz has a 10 year warranty backing their pumps while others are only 1 or 2 at most. If I have to replace the pumps every 2 or so years it would seem like the Abyzz is the way to go Since 5 Vectra would cost me almost 2 grand. I know these newer pumps can’t touch the reliability of the mag pump so I’ll keep it for backup. How many of you out there have been running Vectras or cor20 or even the a100 or the rd3 for more then a couple years(not really sure if they’ve been out that long even, if not since they came out) without issues or signs of them slowing down?
I have both the RD and the Ecotech L1. Both have been working flawless after 1.5 years. The RD is quieter and puts off less heat. It is also controllable by the Apex.

The Ecotech is not controllable by the Apex other than on/off assuming no battery backup. If you have battery backup, the pump won't actually turn off with no AC power due to the battery. I have modified my Ecotech controller so I can put it in to feed mode with the Apex.

If you are considering the price point of the Abyzz...the RD is a great pump. I haven't had any issues with it.

Reef - Tripp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote would be for vectra or several both with more than 5 years running, I would leave the magdrive or whatever as a backup, just put a flexible connection, for any change without altering the rigid plumbing.
16004779744705281814686203231154.jpg

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Jebao. Just got one and the reviews for longevity were great. They are DC and it is super quite, and super easy on the pockets.

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electric cost is a huge factor. I have a RD. If power was free, I'd have a blueline/iwaki. The RD pays for itself if it lasts 10 years.

Be careful with warranty claims. I bought an expensive Briggs and Stratton lawn mover with a generous warranty period. Every single thing that could break did. Even though I was well within warranty, the company blamed normal wear and tear, animal damage, acts of God, everything except taking responsibility for their own unusable junk. Obviously I will never buy another Briggs and Stratton anything, and I never had as miserable an experience with anything aquarium related. But a company that actually honors a brief warranty is worth far more than a company with a very long warranty they won't honor.

OP
OP
M

Milkman420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a danner mag and it’ll most likely out last your tank, they are cheap too. Set and forget.
I have a mag already and it’s lasted 9 years lol with no end in sight but since I’m going with the apex now I figured I would get one that is controllable by it. I’m leaning towards a varios or a rd3 now. I have plans in the future to build a fish room and want a decent head pressure so that’s why I haven’t pulled a trigger on the varios. I would love an Abyzz but can’t justify the price when I can get 2 rd3 for the same price. Wife wants it as quite as possible so After research I’m leaning towards the rd3 now.

OP
OP
M

Milkman420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electric cost is a huge factor. I have a RD. If power was free, I'd have a blueline/iwaki. The RD pays for itself if it lasts 10 years.

Be careful with warranty claims. I bought an expensive Briggs and Stratton lawn mover with a generous warranty period. Every single thing that could break did. Even though I was well within warranty, the company blamed normal wear and tear, animal damage, acts of God, everything except taking responsibility for their own unusable junk. Obviously I will never buy another Briggs and Stratton anything, and I never had as miserable an experience with anything aquarium related. But a company that actually honors a brief warranty is worth far more than a company with a very long warranty they won't honor.
That’s surprising. I have a Briggs and Stratton has pressure washer and it’s awesome. I even had an issue with it about 4 months in and they sent me a brand new one. Haven’t had a single problem with it since. First issue wasn’t even there fault either

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Varios 8 as a return pump and a COR 20 for my use pump. I like the Varios for the reliability and the COR for its easy control with Apex. If one or the other does fail i can make dure i swap things around and always have a return pump.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back