Return pumps do you really get what you pay for?

Sorbi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mag already and it’s lasted 9 years lol with no end in sight but since I’m going with the apex now I figured I would get one that is controllable by it. I’m leaning towards a varios or a rd3 now. I have plans in the future to build a fish room and want a decent head pressure so that’s why I haven’t pulled a trigger on the varios. I would love an Abyzz but can’t justify the price when I can get 2 rd3 for the same price. Wife wants it as quite as possible so After research I’m leaning towards the rd3 now.
Most probably a good decision. Any pump can fail. I have had a Jebao and red dragon for 7 years, no issues at all. For my new tank I decided to go on with another Jebao, it is in the living room but very close to our bedroom. It is so silent that I had to check if it is actually on several times after purchase. There is an Apex connector for Jebao, FishOfHex has several youtube videos about connecting Jebao to Apex.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mag already and it’s lasted 9 years lol with no end in sight but since I’m going with the apex now I figured I would get one that is controllable by it. I’m leaning towards a varios or a rd3 now. I have plans in the future to build a fish room and want a decent head pressure so that’s why I haven’t pulled a trigger on the varios. I would love an Abyzz but can’t justify the price when I can get 2 rd3 for the same price. Wife wants it as quite as possible so After research I’m leaning towards the rd3 now.

why would you or anyone even want/need a variable return pump? No need for controllable return pumps in this hobby...

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Sicce SDC series is supposed to have Apex controllability soon. Thomas mentioned it in a BRS video and then I asked about it on the Neptune and BRS Facebook groups. Terence from Neptune and Steve Berlin from Sicce both confirmed it was coming soon and it’s apparently going to be similar to 0-10v control.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in agreement with the need for a DC pump in most cases.
In the end it is set and forget.
The only DC pump I have that I ever truly change the setting on here and there is DC pump for the air input on my recirculating skimmer.
The Varios 8 return pump, and UV Pump, 100%.
Yes I guess there quieter. But I cant here the Sicce 1900 AC pump feeding the skimmer with water. Nor the ac pump for my chiller.

Even when you look at the cost of electricity to run the AC vs the DC.
Yea its a few cents more but the cost differance in the pumps makes up for that being the AC pumps are 30 to 40% cheaper.

Same goes with the lighting now a days. Its nice we can dial them in but from that point nada. I do see more value in the control ability with the lights, well over the pumps.

DancingWind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao dcp-10000, cerrramic shaft and bearrings, 24v dc, control in 1% steps. Silent.
Ran for 1,5 year and doing great.
Why would you need apex controll for a return pump? You set it snd forget it. I do like the 1% stepps though - set rougth return flow with a ball valve on return line and fine tune with pump.
Dc pumps can be very easilly backednuo with a battery.
I do have to clean it every 3 months or so as i notice i have to bump 1% power every other week to keep flow silent. But for 120eur its fantastic. If money is not a consideration then sure knocl yourself out with a 1k pump but if you have a budget get 2 jebaos and spend somewhere else

Scott's reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ran the dcp line from jabao for 2 yrs now and there latest dcq line and they are dead silent work horses that I believe can be tied to apex with module. The dcq pump are great as they have 2 modes. 1 as a regular pump and 2 as a on/off pulsating pump. I've loved my pumps and for the money you could buy an extra and have it waiting in case one failed. And having it tied to apex you would get an alert if an issue came about. That's my 2 cent and I hope it helps.

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have plans in the future to build a fish room and want a decent head pressure so that’s why I haven’t pulled a trigger on the varios. I would love an Abyzz but can’t justify the price when I can get 2 rd3 for the same price./QUOTE]
Keep in mind that most DC pumps (notably excluding Abyzz) really struggle with head pressure. If your fish room is going to be in the basement, or really on any other floor than the tank is, then you might want to factor that in to your decision-making process. I don't really see the advantage to a DC pump, but a cheap/reliable one like the VarioS, or a good AC pump like the Fluval SP, could probably be shelved for later use without blowing your budget once the fish room goes in and you need a pressure-rated pump.

Last edited:

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While there are some advantages to a DC pump (most notable is the electrical safety issue), I never could justify the added cost and the reliability issues. I looked very hard at going to a DC return pump like the Varios, but here is my problem:

I have run a Quiet One 3000 pump on a 75g tank for 15 years, 24/7, without issue. It is absolutely silent. After 15 years it suddenly got a little noisy, so I took it out and cleaned it. Put it back into the sump and it's silent again, probably for another 15 years. Literally, I have never taken it out or cleaned it in 15 years except for this one time. It has no control, and only a ball valve on the outlet side to shut off the flow at feeding time. I don't turn it off. I don't need to control it except to shut it off for feeding or during water changes, which I can do now. It takes a half second to do it.

So how on earth would I justify spending $300, much less $2k for a simple return pump when a $60 pump does the job perfectly and more dependably? What's the advantage to having a controllable return pump? I really can't see it. Seriously.

There is nothing magical about a water pump. Every single impeller pump uses the same basic design, from $15 Maxijets to big commercial cast iron pumps costing tens of thousands. Do you get what you pay for? Sometimes. Sometimes not. IMO, Abyzz is for those with more money than they know what to do with.

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Varios pumps have a 2 year warranty, but 1 year on the rotor.

Fwiw, I’ve used Eheim AC pumps for decades, with no issues. While looking at DC pumps for my new build, I bought Varios because of their reported reliability.

I still have brand new Eheims for backup.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ive been running my RO Varios for over two years with no issues. Its also apex controllable! Its been the most reliable piece of equipment i own...

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little surprised that no one here has mentioned Eheim AC pumps like their 1262 (maybe I missed someone's post). It uses 80 watts, 12-foot head, and pumps 910 GPH. I've had two of these running for the last 5-6 years with no issues.
Obviously these pumps aren't for the larger tanks, their reliability un-matched in my opinion. I have a 20-year-old Eheim 1048 pump that I had used in a freshwater aquarium years ago, now I use it to transfer my make-up water.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm a little surprised that no one here has mentioned Eheim AC pumps like their 1262 (maybe I missed someone's post). It uses 80 watts, 12-foot head, and pumps 910 GPH. I've had two of these running for the last 5-6 years with no issues.
Obviously these pumps aren't for the larger tanks, their reliability un-matched in my opinion. I have a 20-year-old Eheim 1048 pump that I had used in a freshwater aquarium years ago, now I use it to transfer my make-up water.

they are great pumps. I have a 1262 that I used continuously for almost 15 years. I ended up swapping it out for a Jebao DCP then a Sicce SDC after it got too loud when the impeller swelled a few months ago. It’s still ready for backup duty if needed though, but it rattles like an old truck. I will say though even before that it wasn’t a quiet pump. If I was doing an AC pump now would be a Fluval SP series because they are much quieter than the Eheims.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran Danner mag drive pumps for years until I started getting concerned about the metal screws. I know theyre "stainless steel" but no stainless lasts forever in saltwater, and I didnt want possible metal sources in coral tanks.

Switched to jebao, havent looked back. Neither of these pump types have ever been a problem for me on multiple tanks over multiple years.

Looking at the prices on some of these 'high end' pumps, I'm left scratching my head. What could they possibly offer to justify those prices? All I need is a machine to reliably move water from one tank to another and thats easily obtainable for ~$60.

Royweiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you have to replace Vectra or Sicce every two years. When I bought my Vectra I was told it doesn’t fail every few years like others do.

You have 8 plus years of experience. Go with your gut. The Fluval SP is made with an Italian motor that is supposedly legendary as far as AC motors go. You can get two of those and still spend less than a Vectra.
I like the Iwaki for an AC pump, very reliable, however not cheap,

jon99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreeing with this. I've got a jebao return pump and a backup waiting. All for under $200. And on my next tank I'll have 2 running side by side with a 3rd backup waiting on the shelf.
Yep. And better yet, rather than having one decent pump running and a second as back up, have 2 pumps running and a third as back up. At $100-$150 each, you’re still spending less than on one top shelf pump.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see BRS do a video series on pumps.
A real test of head height with different sizes of plumbing and say routing.
Most everyone will have a minimum of 5 feet head height and a few 90s and maybe a 45 to a lockline fitting.

In my thought only the small and large pumps from the same manufacturer need to be tested. No need to go through all the sizes.

Just need the pumps, three sizes of plumbing in the same configuration.
Also need vertical runs to determine actual head height.

Premeasured 50 gallons of water and a stop watch.
But they have to test and compair with the manufacturers specifications.
That would be a real eye opener for the majority.

Bet the manufacturer's would not appreciate this, and BRS may feel some pressure.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And to add I would like for them to reveal the sales stats.
This would cause serious grief but I would like to see
The percentages of how many are sold in comparison to others.

This information could be beneficial when looking at reviews.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back