Return siphon on DIY HOB overflow

coreygrrt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... Tom's aqualifter has become increasingly difficult to find let alone buy at a fair price.. I built the (updated) DIY king's HOB PVC overflow. My thoughts, instead of applying the aqualifter to return siphon after power outage, would it be feasible to instead have a micro submerged pump on the glass just below the weir level that will pump water back into the overflow via air line hose drilled into top of PVC 90's (similar to aqualifter method instead constantly pushing water in to displace the air)?

Other thought is to purchase a UPS battery back-up. Lmk if you guys feel this is the superior option and what UPS you'd recommend.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of return pumps have a spot for an airline hose. That's the usual aqualifter replacement option.

Stephensx04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"So... Tom's aqualifter has become increasingly difficult to find let alone buy at a fair price.. I built the (updated) DIY king's HOB PVC overflow. My thoughts, instead of applying the aqualifter to return siphon after power outage, would it be feasible to instead have a micro submerged pump on the glass just below the weir level that will pump water back into the overflow via air line hose drilled into top of PVC 90's (similar to aqualifter method instead constantly pushing water in to displace the air)?"

No you dont want to push water into it. If you do and for some reason your return pump stops it will drain your tank. Also what flows out will match what you your return pump pushes in. If you pump water out it will eventually overflow sump.

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran this for about 1 year using the aqualifter. It would inevitably break for a variety of reasons at the most inconvenient times. Usually junk would get stuck in the aqualifter & air from the weir would cause the syphon to break. Sucking air & filthy saltwater out of the top of the pipe to recharge the syphon was easy enough, but after few times, it was enough to start saving for a drilled tank. While it is a clever design & easy to get started, it's not reliable even with the aqualifter (or any other pump).

Stephensx04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key to the overflow system is flow. You need decent flow to push any air bubbles out. That makes them dependable. I wouldn't trust the aqualifter pump as that's a hole in the top of tube that can allow air to get in if there is a seal failure or pump fails.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back