Welcome to R2R!

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I'm returning to reefing after about 10 yrs. Don't know why I suddenly got the itch but I did and now I'm starting to scratch it. I picked up a used 120gd tank w/ stand, 40gb sump, 40gb qt tank w/ stand, aquatic life 4 bulb t5 hybrid unit, octo 202s skimmer along with a few other things. $400. I just received 3 new leds to add to the t5, return pumps, 2 power heads (will probably add 2 more) and Barracuda RODI unit. Still need rock, sand, salt, test kits, etc...

I have a question about the tank. I am doing a reseal job and have removed all the old silicone and overflows. The joints all in good shape. The top center trim/brace is in rough shape and cracked. The glass is 1/2 inch thick. Is it wise to try to remove the top trim or try to repair it using JB Weld or the like and repaint? Could I remove it and use glass bracing or euro brace (if top of glass is in good condition).

I would choose to keep the existing top trim. Can you post some pictures so we can get a better idea?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I'm returning to reefing after about 10 yrs. Don't know why I suddenly got the itch but I did and now I'm starting to scratch it. I picked up a used 120gd tank w/ stand, 40gb sump, 40gb qt tank w/ stand, aquatic life 4 bulb t5 hybrid unit, octo 202s skimmer along with a few other things. $400. I just received 3 new leds to add to the t5, return pumps, 2 power heads (will probably add 2 more) and Barracuda RODI unit. Still need rock, sand, salt, test kits, etc...

I have a question about the tank. I am doing a reseal job and have removed all the old silicone and overflows. The joints all in good shape. The top center trim/brace is in rough shape and cracked. The glass is 1/2 inch thick. Is it wise to try to remove the top trim or try to repair it using JB Weld or the like and repaint? Could I remove it and use glass bracing or euro brace (if top of glass is in good condition).

Welcome! Glad you joined. I'll defer to others who've done similar work, and it seems like you are already getting good answers right here in this thread. If ever you have a future need, there are other areas of the Forum dedicated to different sections. Those different sections are watched by subject area experts in those subjects.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread under Forum > Member Aquariums and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in 33884:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

OP
OP
Srfnhooker

Srfnhooker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would choose to keep the existing top trim. Can you post some pictures so we can get a better idea?
Here's a pic of the center brace. Almost completely broken. Looks like it may have gotten hot from a light maybe.

Attachments

• 20230217_171802.jpg
    20230217_171802.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 18

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of the center brace. Almost completely broken. Looks like it may have gotten hot from a light maybe.

Yes... that happened because the plastic brace was removed once before, and they tried to remove too much at one time.

I have a tank right now that I am resealing, with the same crack in the same place for the same reason.

Understand that the water pressure against the glass is at its smallest at the top of the tank, and increases as you get closer to the bottom.

I would remove and reapply the strip again with a generous amount of silicon. Then flip the tank upside down so that the weight of the tank presses firmly into the strip while drying. It should be fine.

OP
OP
Srfnhooker

Srfnhooker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined. I'll defer to others who've done similar work, and it seems like you are already getting good answers right here in this thread. If ever you have a future need, there are other areas of the Forum dedicated to different sections. Those different sections are watched by subject area experts in those subjects.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread under Forum > Member Aquariums and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in 33884:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
I do plan on starting it this weekend.
Yes... that happened because the plastic brace was removed once before, and they tried to remove too much at one time.

I have a tank right now that I am resealing, with the same crack in the same place for the same reason.

Understand that the water pressure against the glass is at its smallest at the top of the tank, and increases as you get closer to the bottom.

I would remove and reapply the strip again with a generous amount of silicon. Then flip the tank upside down so that the weight of the tank presses firmly into the strip while drying. It should be fine.
This is the brace across the top center of the tank. From front to back.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How r u fixing it? The way u said above? If so how does that help? It will still be cracked. If I undersand what your saying.

If it is only the exterior portion of the plastic, you still have the top portion and the inner portion in tact and it will still do its job.

If the ends are completely separated (plastic is completely broken), then you would need to replace the plastic frame.

In my case, it was only the exterior portion. I did as I described above. I'm currently waiting for the silicon to dry so I can begin water testing tomorrow.

OP
OP
Srfnhooker

Srfnhooker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is only the exterior portion of the plastic, you still have the top portion and the inner portion in tact and it will still do its job.

If the ends are completely separated (plastic is completely broken), then you would need to replace the plastic frame.

In my case, it was only the exterior portion. I did as I described above. I'm currently waiting for the silicon to dry so I can begin water testing tomorrow.
Hope it works. Shoot me a pic after if you could. Ive been holding off on the putting the new silicone back. I've already removed the old. I'm leaning towards having the glass cut for 1/2" thick euro bracing with a 3 or 4 inch wide glass center brace and removing the plastic brace. Luckily we have a couple local glass shops here. The only problem I have with that option is the 2 internal mega overflows that may be in the way of a full perimeter euro.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope it works. Shoot me a pic after if you could. Ive been holding off on the putting the new silicone back. I've already removed the old. I'm leaning towards having the glass cut for 1/2" thick euro bracing with a 3 or 4 inch wide glass center brace and removing the plastic brace. Luckily we have a couple local glass shops here. The only problem I have with that option is the 2 internal mega overflows that may be in the way of a full perimeter euro.

The only thing that concerns me is that your tank is bigger than the one I've repaired, so, you're dealing with more water pressure.

The euro bracing is a good contingency plan. I'm just not sure how it would be secured to the tank. I've seen euro bracing on acrylic tanks, but those aren't glued on.

As I understand, with acrylic tanks, there is a clear liquid in a squeeze bottle with what appears to be a long needle on the end. That liquid is placed between the two pieces and causes some chemical reaction which makes the seam in the acrylic bond as if to form one piece.

I'll post some photos later.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back